DiskWarrior and other good disk utilities under Mac OS X 10.5.8?

Old October 17th 11, 09:17 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

Default DiskWarrior and other good disk utilities under Mac OS X 10.5.8?

Hello all.

What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?
It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with
surface scan, SMART stuff, etc. I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is
that true?

Thank you in advance.
--
"It is not enough to be industrious; so are the ants. What are you
industrious about?" --Henry David Thoreau
Old October 17th 11, 09:35 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote

Hello all.

All hanged himself. He got too many posts...

What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?

smartctl

It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with surface scan, SMART stuff, etc.

You dont need anything otheer than 'SMART stuff'

I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is that true?

Nope.

Thank you in advance.

Stop smirking. This is no laughing matter, boy.

Old October 17th 11, 10:00 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 10/17/2011 1:35 AM PT, Rod Speed typed:

All hanged himself. He got too many posts...

So?

What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?

smartctl

I tried to find a precompiled binary, but it seems like only Fink is the
only option which I want to avoid. I just want to download and run
without compiling, requiring other packages, etc.

It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with surface scan, SMART stuff, etc.

You dont need anything otheer than 'SMART stuff'

Even to fix HFS problems? I seem to have problems with its /net
folder/directory that hang when doing "ls -all", running ClamXscan,
deleting, etc. in it. Mac OS X 10.5.8's Disk Utilities couldn't fix it.
I could rename/move it easily though. I ran fsck in single mode that
found and fixed the problems. Then, the next thing again but with a
folder/directory (one missing) and again with /net. I am trying to
figure out if this 3+ years old HDD is going bad or not.

http://pastebin.ca/2090526 for its fsck log.

I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is that true?

Nope.

OK.

Thank you in advance.

Stop smirking. This is no laughing matter, boy.

I am not a boy or a human! :P
--
"Ah. Those club kids did eat those ants up like popcorn." --CSI: Miami
(Wannabe episode; #218)
Old October 17th 11, 10:38 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
David Empson

[Followups limited to the Mac group as not particularly relevant to the
others.]

Ant wrote:

What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?
It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with
surface scan, SMART stuff, etc. I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is
that true?

DiskWarrior is a one trick pony, but it does that one trick very well.
Its only function is to rebuild the directory on a drive, and optimize
it in the process. In that respect it can do a better job than Disk
Utility's "Repair Disk" feature, which refuses to fix complex problems
(or the command line "fsck" tool, which is the same thing as a Disk
Utilty "Repair Disk").

A nice feature of DiskWarrior is that it can mount a read-only copy of
the repaired volume so you can examine it before committing the changes
to disk.

DiskWarrior does very little to help with physical drive defects. It
will warn you about a suspected faulty drive if it is taking too long to
read during its analysis, but it does not have an explicit surface scan.

If I think a drive has bad sectors, I've used TechTool Pro to do a
surface scan. Version 5 or later can apparently report which file is
using a sector which it discovers to be bad, but I've never seen that as
I haven't found any bad sectors since I got version 5.

TechTool Pro can also repair directories, but I have never tried that
function as I'd always prefer DiskWarrior due to its nondestructive
trial repair.

--
David Empson

Old October 17th 11, 01:26 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jolly Roger[_3_]

In article ,
Ant wrote:

Hello all.

What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?
It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with
surface scan, SMART stuff, etc. I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is
that true?

Thank you in advance.

I personally don't see the point in spending the money on such
additional disk repair utilities, when restoring from backup is so easy
and fast.

JR
Old October 17th 11, 07:06 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Ant wrote

Hello all.

All hanged himself. He got too many posts...

So?

So there isnt any point in greeting his corpse, stupid.

Its too dead to notice now.

What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?

smartctl

I tried to find a precompiled binary, but it seems like only Fink is the only option which I want to avoid. I just
want to download and run without compiling, requiring other packages, etc.

Havent tried that, should be feasible tho.

It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with surface scan, SMART stuff, etc.

You dont need anything otheer than 'SMART stuff'

Even to fix HFS problems? I seem to have problems with its /net
folder/directory that hang when doing "ls -all", running ClamXscan,
deleting, etc. in it. Mac OS X 10.5.8's Disk Utilities couldn't fix it.

OK, I assumed you were talking about the hardware, not the file structures.

I could rename/move it easily though. I ran fsck in single mode
that found and fixed the problems. Then, the next thing again but
with a folder/directory (one missing) and again with /net. I am
trying to figure out if this 3+ years old HDD is going bad or not.

smartctl will tell you if it is or not.

http://pastebin.ca/2090526 for its fsck log.

I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is that true?

Nope.

That was a comment about physical hard drives, not file structures.

OK.

Thank you in advance.

Stop smirking. This is no laughing matter, boy.

I am not a boy or a human! :P

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, boy.

Old October 18th 11, 01:17 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Your Name

In article ,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Richard_S=F8rensen?= wrote:

Ant wrote:
What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs=

?=20
It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with=20
surface scan, SMART stuff, etc. I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is=

=20
that true?

As you write in the subject. - DiskWarrior ver. 4.2 or newer is the best =

tool to fix problems with the HDs. If it's data recovery alone,=20
DataRescue 3 from ProSoft is the best tool.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

Cheers, Erik Richard

Whatever you use, you need to make sure you have the version designed for
the version of Mac OS X you're using. Trying to recover files / fix a disk
with an older version of the utility software on a newer version of Mac OS
X can cause even more problems.
Old October 18th 11, 02:37 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_2_]

On Oct 17, 5:17*pm, (Your Name) wrote:

Whatever you use, you need to make sure you have the version designed for
the version of Mac OS X you're using. Trying to recover files / fix a disk
with an older version of the utility software on a newer version of Mac OS
X can cause even more problems.

Ah, then it would be Mac OS X 10.5.8. I'd assume newer disk utility
versions would be backward compatible with older Mac OS X versions.
Old October 18th 11, 02:41 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Rod Speed wrote:
Ant wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Ant wrote

Hello all.

All hanged himself. He got too many posts...

So?

So there isnt any point in greeting his corpse, stupid.

Its too dead to notice now.

So I am a zombie?

What are good disk utilities to use under Mac OS X for problematic HDDs?

smartctl

I tried to find a precompiled binary, but it seems like only Fink is the only option which I want to avoid. I just
want to download and run without compiling, requiring other packages, etc.

Havent tried that, should be feasible tho.

I am surprised there isn't a binary native Mac version of smartctl to
download and run.

It seems like Mac OS X's provided Disk Utilities are limited with surface scan, SMART stuff, etc.

You dont need anything otheer than 'SMART stuff'

Even to fix HFS problems? I seem to have problems with its /net
folder/directory that hang when doing "ls -all", running ClamXscan,
deleting, etc. in it. Mac OS X 10.5.8's Disk Utilities couldn't fix it.

OK, I assumed you were talking about the hardware, not the file structures.

Well, I am not sure. Maybe the hardware is failing to make Disk
Utilities find problems and sometimes unable to fix them.

I could rename/move it easily though. I ran fsck in single mode
that found and fixed the problems. Then, the next thing again but
with a folder/directory (one missing) and again with /net. I am
trying to figure out if this 3+ years old HDD is going bad or not.

smartctl will tell you if it is or not.

http://pastebin.ca/2090526 for its fsck log.

I was told DiskWarrior is very good. Is that true?

Nope.

That was a comment about physical hard drives, not file structures.

OK.

Thank you in advance.

Stop smirking. This is no laughing matter, boy.

I am not a boy or a human! :P

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, boy.

Again, not a boy but a worker ant (females). :P
--
Quote of the Week: "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
/\___/\ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| |
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
Old October 18th 11, 04:15 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Your Name

Ant wrote:
On Oct 17, 5:17 pm, (Your Name) wrote:

Whatever you use, you need to make sure you have the version designed
for the version of Mac OS X you're using. Trying to recover files /
fix a disk with an older version of the utility software on a newer
version of Mac OS X can cause even more problems.

Ah, then it would be Mac OS X 10.5.8. I'd assume newer disk utility
versions would be backward compatible with older Mac OS X versions.

Indeed they are!

They should be (within reason), and usually they are, but always best to
check the specs before using / buying it.