Correct FSB settings?

Old November 20th 03, 07:08 PM
Blueyonder

Default Correct FSB settings?

AMD 2800+ (Barton) 333Mhz
Kingston 256Mb CL2.5 PC3200 DDR400 (x2)
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Ver 2
Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT 256Mb

I have just ordered the above parts to build me a new PC.

My question is: What is the correct FSB settings for the above? I am not interested in overclocking I just want the PC to run as intended.

Also, how does setting the FSB settings effect the RAM (ie. if the FSB=200 is this correct for DDR400 Ram? for it to work with its dual chanel?) and does any of this effect Hard disks/CD roms etz.?

Please keep it simple! I'm a bit of a nube to FSB! Thanks - Gary
Old November 20th 03, 07:42 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:08:55 +0000, Blueyonder wrote:

AMD 2800+ (Barton) 333Mhz
Kingston 256Mb CL2.5 PC3200 DDR400 (x2) ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Ver 2
Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT 256Mb

My question is: What is the correct FSB settings for the above? I am not
interested in overclocking I just want the PC to run as intended.

12.5x166

Also, how does setting the FSB settings effect the RAM (ie. if the
FSB=200 is this correct for DDR400 Ram? for it to work with its dual
chanel?) and does any of this effect Hard disks/CD roms etz.?

Run ram at 1 to 1, iow's 166Mhz too. Or set the FSB to 10.5x200 and run
the ram at 200MHz too. that will just be a slight overclock. from 2083MHz
to 2100Mhz.

Old November 20th 03, 07:46 PM
Ben Pope

Blueyonder wrote:
AMD 2800+ (Barton) 333Mhz
Kingston 256Mb CL2.5 PC3200 DDR400 (x2)
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Ver 2
Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT 256Mb

I have just ordered the above parts to build me a new PC.

My question is: What is the correct FSB settings for the above? I am
not interested in overclocking I just want the PC to run as intended.

That 333 means 166MHz.

Also, how does setting the FSB settings effect the RAM (ie. if the
FSB=200 is this correct for DDR400 Ram? for it to work with its dual
chanel?) and does any of this effect Hard disks/CD roms etz.?

See my other post, FSB and RAM are seperate. The RAM could be set as high
as 200MHz, but you are likely to find no benefit if the FSB is 166MHz.

Please keep it simple! I'm a bit of a nube to FSB! Thanks - Gary

Oops... ignore the bits in my other post that get techy :-)

I recommend you set your FSB to 200MHz, RAM at 100% and multiplier of ~10.
This will give you more memory bandwidth. Technically you'd be overclocking
the FSB of the CPU, but that shouldn't be a problem.

If you do not wish to overclock at all, 166MHz * default multiplier with
RAM speed at 100% of FSB.

Ben