Best Mobo/CPU Combo For $200-$250

Old June 27th 04, 11:52 AM
SpicaTC50

"With AMD releasing their Athlon 64 bit desktop processors, one of the
issues in upgrading or buying a new computer is "will I need a 64 bit
processor." For most people the answer is not until the later part of this
decade. To get the most out of a 64 bit processor you need 64 bit applications
running on top of a 64 bit operating system. Of course if you have a Mac G5
system running Panther (Mac OS 10.3) and some of the recent versions of the
high level Apple content creation applications you are already there, but for
the PC world only 64 bit applications programs now are very high level
server based or scientific applications.

There is 64 bit Linux, but the Windows XP version is still in beta and won’t be
out until spring 2004. There will be 64 bit versions of some games in 2004,
but do not look until 2005 for a significant amount of 64 bit software for
Windows XP. Because there will be a lot of 32 bit computers around for a
while there should be plenty of 32 bit software. The 64 bit Athlons and what
rumors say Intel is developing as a 64 bit desktop processor will be able to
run 32 bit applications well, which should also keep the 32 bit software
market healthy for quite a while. So unless you are a high level gamer, run
high-level scientific or content creation applications, or run Macs you should
wait on getting a 64 bit processor computer.

Making the decision on whether to upgrade your current computer or buy a
new computer has become more complex than it was a few years ago. A
systematic step-by-step approach is appropriate. First determine your needs,
then what will support filling those needs, and then weigh the costs of
upgrading or buying new. May the wisdom of the Great Elizabethan Bard be
upon you, resulting in a fruitful bounty of computer buying.

Timothy Everingham is CEO of Timothy Everingham Consulting in Azusa,
California. He is Vice Chair of the Los Angeles Chapter of ACM SIGGRAPH and
is also on the Management Information Systems Program Advisory Board of
California State University, Fullerton. In addition he is the Vice President of
the Windows Media Users’ Group of Los Angeles. He is also part-time press
in the areas of high technology, computers, video, audio, and
entertainment/media and has had articles published throughout the United
States and Canada plus Australia, England, & Japan. He is a member of
TUGNET. Further information can be found at
http://home.earthlink.net/~teveringham"

I'm not a "beta" kind of guy. Besides, I have 2 socket A's now which would
give me options. I will let you know what I buy today at a local comp show.
Thanks for the replies and the heated discussion.

In article ,
says...

Does that mean it will only install on a dell and like with specific
hardware ?

And if i tried to install it it would not ?

That would suck, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, their would be iso's on

p2p in
no time cracked and everyone would have 64bit Microsoft OS

So even if they do a OEM wont matter.

But why they would is funny to me, don't they want to make more money
?, i have read this in a few places.

See ya.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 05:02:45 GMT, "rms"
wrote:

Will a pr chip at 2800+ beat out a chip that can go straight to 3200+ with
no known issues.

You are forgetting that PR ratings are not the same for Athlon64 vs XP.
An Athlon64 2800+ is probably about equal to a XP3200+ in 32bit. And you
can overclock Athlon64 just as easily as the XP on any of the newer

boards.

Microsoft might make XP-64 a OEM product ONLY

Why would they do this?

rms

Old June 27th 04, 08:04 PM
Jerry McBride

Jake Smith wrote:

How about that 64bit OS and Applications, all games run slower on
64bit cpu all of them

Hmmm... if you are still running windows... yup. It's slower. However, in
linux land... things are much faster. Even when running 32bit apps on a
32bit version of linux ... something like 20% faster.
Old June 28th 04, 01:07 AM
OZoNE

wrote:

Will a pr chip at 2800+ beat out a chip that can go straight to 3200+

with
no known issues.

You are forgetting that PR ratings are not the same for Athlon64 vs

XP.
An Athlon64 2800+ is probably about equal to a XP3200+ in 32bit. And

you
can overclock Athlon64 just as easily as the XP on any of the newer

boards.

Microsoft might make XP-64 a OEM product ONLY

Why would they do this?

rms

I agree...Abit NF7 Mobo...OCZ ram PC3200....Mobile barton 2500+
Run at 11x200 or higher multiplier for 3200+ or better speeds.
Hell I still have a Ti4200 GF4 Card and its doin all I need it to at a
decent frame rate.
OZoNE
Asus A7N8X/OCZ PC3200/Mobile 2500+ @ 2400Mhz.

Old June 29th 04, 05:23 PM
Gary Colligan

" the A64's are more expensive
Will a pr chip at 2800+ beat out a chip that can go straight to 3200+ with
no known issues.
Microsoft might make XP-64 a OEM product ONLY and try to keep end users

from
buying it (this could be an issue to many people). If you think it's BS
then tell me where I can buy the XP Media Center Os.

What was suggested would cost the op 100$, and that'll let them get an

extra
100$ in ram, or more towards a nice video card (in other words, the system
might just be faster than what they could buy in the a64 range)..

I am not saying we should stick with socket A but I do think it's good kit
for most people out there.

Not much more expensive & the A64 runs great, much cooler then a XP chip...
I tried the XP-64 windows, work great & it is much faster, but better
drivers are needed.
much like XP when it started beta, drivers were the main problem...

Old June 29th 04, 05:26 PM
Gary Colligan

"Jake Smith" wrote in message

Does that mean it will only install on a dell and like with specific
hardware ?

Microsoft might make XP-64 a OEM product ONLY

Bit hard getting a Dell with a AMD Athlon 64 CPU
as they don't sell AMD system

Old June 30th 04, 05:47 AM
Michael Brown

SpicaTC50 wrote:
"With AMD releasing their Athlon 64 bit desktop processors, one of the
issues in upgrading or buying a new computer is "will I need a 64 bit
processor." For most people the answer is not until the later part of
this decade.

[...]
So unless you
are a high level gamer, run high-level scientific or content creation
applications, or run Macs you should wait on getting a 64 bit
processor computer.

However, this doesn't really apply to the A64 case (yet). There's a lot more
to the A64's than just AMD64, and until Sempron comes out (and maybe not
even then, depending what Sempron has for a core) there's no way to get an
A64 without AMD64. Yes, most people probably don't need a 64-bit CPU, but
given that is comes along free with the other architectual benefits of an
A64 it doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy an A64. AMD64 is sorta a mild
plus, instead of a requirement. Ie: you shouldn't "wait on getting a 64-bit
processor", but nor should you not buy a P4 or XP because it's not 64-bit.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old June 30th 04, 01:59 PM
Dave

"Travis King" wrote in message
Isn't Linux a nightmare to set up?

No, it depends on the installer (OS, not the person) and/or the users
experience.

I've used a few different types:-

Red Hat, Yellow Dog and Mandrake installed very easily because of their
installers.

OpenBSD and another, BSD derivative I think, were much more difficult
because quite a lot of it had to be installed manually.

The configuration of the base machine does have an impact on the
installation, the less memory it has the more you have to do manually.
Another consideration that has an effect is the use that installation will
be put to. The various Linux versions I used were for something to replace
Windoze so I wanted a GUI and various office apps, etc.

There are lots of variations of Linux out there so you really have to do
your homework before you make a choice, eg whether you want a full blown on
or a cut down one to run an internet firewall/ICS sharer.

Dave

Old July 1st 04, 02:15 AM
Jerry McBride

Jake Smith wrote:

How about that 64bit OS and Applications, all games run slower on
64bit cpu all of them

Hmmm... if you are still running windows... yup. It's slower. However, in
linux land... things are much faster. Even when running 32bit apps on a
32bit version of linux ... something like 20% faster.

Uhhh... like windows is easy?

--

Registered Linux User Number 185956