OT - Remove scratches from CDs

Old August 1st 03, 01:08 PM

Default OT - Remove scratches from CDs

I know this is a little off topic, but I was wondering what is the
best thing to use to get rid of scratches on CDs? I have a game that
has aquired a bunch of them and now won't play well. Thanks for your
help.

Dave
Old August 1st 03, 02:51 PM
Mike S.

In article ,
wrote:
I know this is a little off topic, but I was wondering what is the
best thing to use to get rid of scratches on CDs? I have a game that
has aquired a bunch of them and now won't play well. Thanks for your
help.

Get some Novus, Megiuars, or Blue Magic plastic polish. They all are marked
as being able to polish out fine scratches.

Failing that, the "fine cut" paint polishes sold in auto stores, for
removing swirl marks and fine scratches on clear coat finishes will be a
good substitute.

Finally, any fine metal polish (as sold for polishing soft metals like
aluminum mag wheels) - Blue Magic, Meguiars, Mother's, Eagle One, Flitz,
Wenol, Nevr Dull, Happich Simichrome, etc - will do the job.

Be careful about recommendations for using toothpaste or more coarse
abrasives like Brasso and Noxon. These may take out the scratches but
leave the surface less than optically clear, as they tend to use harder
and more coarse abrasive particles.

Old August 1st 03, 03:52 PM
Enkidu

Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

I've had good luck with a Maxell CDX Scratch Remover kit I bought at a
record store. For $8 (US) it came with a bottle of plastic polish,
bottle of cleaner, cotton buffers, and a frame to hold the CD steady.
I've used it on a couple of dozen CDs and still have quite a bit left.

I first picked this up when I saw the guy at the local used CD store
using it.

Enkidu