Dim 8400

Old April 13th 13, 01:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

Default Dim 8400

I recently got a salvaged Dell for nix (knowing an IT person is very convenient) and added 3 Gigs of RAM, 320Gig HDD, and W7 32-bit. Runs very nicely. The only minor hassle was the audio driver.
The things I added were from a dead Gateway (bad M/B) that I got from a friend (I gave her an old Dell to use).
Old April 13th 13, 07:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 05:52:16 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa
wrote:

I recently got a salvaged Dell for nix (knowing an IT person is very convenient) and added 3 Gigs of RAM, 320Gig HDD, and W7 32-bit. Runs very nicely. The only minor hassle was the audio driver.
The things I added were from a dead Gateway (bad M/B) that I got from a friend (I gave her an old Dell to use).

Good for you but what is your point or problem ?
Old April 14th 13, 03:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

wrote:

I recently got a salvaged Dell for nix (knowing an IT person is very convenient) and added 3 Gigs of RAM, 320Gig HDD, and W7 32-bit. Runs very nicely. The only minor hassle was the audio driver.

The things I added were from a dead Gateway (bad M/B) that I got from a friend (I gave her an old Dell to use).

Good for you but what is your point or problem ?

Simply an FWI about using a PC that was destined for scap...and making it usable.
Old April 15th 13, 04:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

wrote:

I recently got a salvaged Dell for nix (knowing an IT person is very convenient) and added 3 Gigs of RAM, 320Gig HDD, and W7 32-bit. Runs very nicely. The only minor hassle was the audio driver.

The things I added were from a dead Gateway (bad M/B) that I got from a friend (I gave her an old Dell to use).

Good for you but what is your point or problem ?

Simply an FWI about using a PC that was destined for scap...and making it usable.

Ok. I don't think your point was clear but I agree with you in regard
to older computers still having useage.
Old April 15th 13, 11:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:45:10 PM UTC-5, RnR wrote:

Simply an FWI about using a PC that was destined for scap...and making it usable.

Ok. I don't think your point was clear but I agree with you in regard

to older computers still having useage.

Next time I'll run things by you 1st...to make sure they're okay to post!

Old April 16th 13, 04:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:52:16 AM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:
I recently got a salvaged Dell for nix (knowing an IT person is very convenient) and added 3 Gigs of RAM, 320Gig HDD, and W7 32-bit. Runs very nicely. The only minor hassle was the audio driver.

The things I added were from a dead Gateway (bad M/B) that I got from a friend (I gave her an old Dell to use).

If you still don't have the audio right, try a newer Creative Labs audio card, an Audigy, for example.

Kicking up the memory to 4GB will give a marginal improvement, increasing by maybe 256MB the memory usable by a 32-bit OS. But only if you have some 1GB DDR2 DIMMs with no other use.

.... Ben Myers
Old April 16th 13, 11:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Monday, April 15, 2013 10:30:03 PM UTC-5, Ben Myers wrote:
On Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:52:16 AM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:

I recently got a salvaged Dell for nix (knowing an IT person is very convenient) and added 3 Gigs of RAM, 320Gig HDD, and W7 32-bit. Runs very nicely. The only minor hassle was the audio driver.

The things I added were from a dead Gateway (bad M/B) that I got from a friend (I gave her an old Dell to use).

If you still don't have the audio right, try a newer Creative Labs audio card, an Audigy, for example.

Kicking up the memory to 4GB will give a marginal improvement, increasing by maybe 256MB the memory usable by a 32-bit OS. But only if you have some 1GB DDR2 DIMMs with no other use.

... Ben Myers

This was salvaged DDR2 and you know how much that stuff goes for! I did a little searching for a Vista driver that worked.
This whole system only cost me $30 for a 19" flat panel. Both the panel and the 8400 have DVI...who woulda guessed? Thnx Ben
Old May 20th 13, 12:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:26:13 AM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:
[...]

Not surprising. I bought three working Optiplex 755's and two 19" LCDs yesterday. The guy wanted $85. He also had a few boxes of other stuff, so I gave him $100. That does not quite match what I got about 10 days ago from a long-time customer who was moving. He said to come over and take his desktops away, because he and his wife used only mobile devices now. So the takeway included a quad core Insprion small tower with 4GB memory and 500GB disk drive plus a 19" LCD.

With all the mobile "fondle-slabs" to beguile people, desktop prices have gone through the floor, and they are rapidly approaching the sub-basement... Ben Myers
Old May 21st 13, 04:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_3_]

On Sun, 19 May 2013 16:02:51 -0700 (PDT), Ben Myers
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:26:13 AM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Monday, April 15, 2013 10:30:03 PM UTC-5, Ben Myers wrote:

On Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:52:16 AM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:

-snip-

Funny you mention this as I fit what you said... I have 3 or 4 Dell
desktops literally collecting dust that work fine as far as I know.
I'm no gamer or upgrade junkie so modern laptops work fine for my
needs.

OT: Ben, what software do you use to post messages as lately I'm on
a server that doesn't allow me to reply to your posts when it goes
beyond 79 characters and lately some of your posts exceed this. I
have to either chop it or edit it to post here. No big deal but most
people seem to reply under 79 characters long on a line.

OT 8400 MBR Jim[_9_] Dell Computers 12 June 2nd 07 09:53 PM
New 8400 HDD ? @(remove)Alltel.net Dell Computers 15 April 16th 05 01:48 AM
8400 - A little help, please Michael Wolf Dell Computers 22 August 9th 04 03:36 AM
8400 Doc? Hybyd2 Dell Computers 3 July 18th 04 11:51 AM