Dell Inspiron 15R laptop

Old January 10th 13, 06:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

Default Dell Inspiron 15R laptop

Any opinion from owners here on this model? Likes / Dislikes /
Recommendations .
Old January 11th 13, 03:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dg1261

RnR wrote in news:b51ue894tr7sa1p1bi1beqek28mm3dvcvn@
4ax.com:

Any opinion from owners here on this model? Likes / Dislikes /
Recommendations .

There seem to be several different model numbers that go by the moniker
"15R", so you could get conflicting information from people who don't own
the exact same model.

I've worked on a few N5110 15R's, and a major detraction is how they mount
the hard drive. It isn't easy to swap or replace because it's mounted
directly to the bottom side of the motherboard, and the laptop has to be
completely disassembled and the motherboard removed just so you can flip it
over and get to the hard drive. It's a very stupid design. I don't know
if other 15R models are the same or not.

Old January 14th 13, 12:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 03:16:40 +0000 (UTC), dg1261
wrote:

RnR wrote in news:b51ue894tr7sa1p1bi1beqek28mm3dvcvn@
4ax.com:

Any opinion from owners here on this model? Likes / Dislikes /
Recommendations .

There seem to be several different model numbers that go by the moniker
"15R", so you could get conflicting information from people who don't own
the exact same model.

I've worked on a few N5110 15R's, and a major detraction is how they mount
the hard drive. It isn't easy to swap or replace because it's mounted
directly to the bottom side of the motherboard, and the laptop has to be
completely disassembled and the motherboard removed just so you can flip it
over and get to the hard drive. It's a very stupid design. I don't know
if other 15R models are the same or not.

I liked the 15R but my daughter chose a Asus laptop. I've seen it and
I like the lit up keyboard. Otherwise, no comment since I didn't play
with it (came with windows 8).
Old January 22nd 13, 01:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Update: daughter had new hardware problems with the new Asus so she
swapped out for a HP laptop. I like the HP better (compared to Asus)
and so does she (aside from the fact that it works correctly). It
cost $100 more but includes among other things, 8 gigs ram and capable
of 16, better sound and 750gig drive. Of course it has windows 8
x64, which with my limited exposure to, is okay but I think the OS has
some bugs and/or inconveniences. For my own laptop I'll stick with
windows 7 x64 tho I only have 4gigs of ram. Oh one thing that's
really nice about many new laptops now IMO, is the back lit keyboard.
I definitely want that on my next laptop.
Old January 23rd 13, 05:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

[...]

Good luck with the HP! The consumer models are difficult to maintain... Ben Myers
Old January 23rd 13, 05:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I knew you aren't a big fan of theirs but upon reading, I did
see they are the most popular so I had to think why? I don't think
it's price because I saw cheaper. My daughter knew I prefer Dell
since that's the only brand I purchased for about 10+ years but she
wasn't as keen as me on it after talking to several people, one of
which was a tech person. He told her that Dell uses inferior parts
now. I bought a laptop about 6 months ago for my wife and it works
fine and my own which is about 2 yrs old works fine too. If it
matters, both are inspirons and are on the bottom end.

Anyway, I got hold of a pdf that shows the complete breakdown of every
part in the HP so if I hope that helps if I have to service it. Of
course I hope not to have to service it. One thing I did think
about... could most of the laptops today be made from just a few mfgrs
regardless of their badge because they don't look all that different
when I look at the breakdown?

Last, it's funny because I now have several Dell laptops in my
collection collecting dust and all work fine (except for one)
including an 1100 which does NOT get hot. I guess I may have to
donate them away??? What do you do with old laptops nowadays?
Old January 23rd 13, 09:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:13:39 AM UTC-6, RnR wrote:

I guess I may have to

donate them away??? What do you do with old laptops nowadays?

If you don't donate them...sell them on Craig's List!

Old January 23rd 13, 11:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 13:05:59 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:13:39 AM UTC-6, RnR wrote:

I guess I may have to

donate them away??? What do you do with old laptops nowadays?

If you don't donate them...sell them on Craig's List!

To be honest, I don't even know what their worth and may not even be
worth the bother. Come to think of it, not even sure where to donate
it tho I think one or two sister in laws might take some off my hands.
Old January 24th 13, 12:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

I use old laptops as cpu servers, or parts if they
don't work.

Old January 24th 13, 12:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

wrote:

[...]

My daughter had a Dell. Then she bought a Toshiba, it was okay. Then she bought an HP...she was not happy! I'm not sure what she has now! (Maybe an Mac...I don't want to know!)

Next she's going to buy a Ford and really freak me out! JK