Win 8 BIG dissapointment for MS

Old December 18th 12, 09:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

Default Win 8 BIG dissapointment for MS

On 11/29/2012 11:53 AM, Steve W. wrote:
The problem with that is simple. There are many places where you don't
have access to ANY internet services. Then you also add in the security
and safety aspects of having your data stored everywhere else.

The man with the win 8 machine isn't online. He wanted a machine to play
solitaire, to write a few stories and keep track of personal stuff.
Needing to create an online account and constant net access to do
anything is not good for him.

I use Windows 8 without an Internet connect sometimes. Works just like
Windows XP and Windows 7 without an Internet connection. What's the big
deal?

Oh and I did find notepad, but it doesn't work like the old notepad. So
I stuck notepad+ on there for him.
The calculator app still works like others, I haven't been able to get
it to work without a net connection.

Notepad is the same to me as previous versions, same bugs too. Oh sorry,
I guess Microsoft calls those bugs as features. ;-)

--
Bill
Dell Latitute Slate Tablet 128GB SSD ('12 era) - Thunderbird v12
Old December 18th 12, 10:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

On 11/26/2012 12:46 AM, Tom Lake wrote:
If there is no Notepad or calculator in Windows 8 then it sounds like
Microsoft wants to turn the P.C. into an iPad device where you buy
all the things you need by buying apps. I like my iPad but if I
upgrade to Windows 8 it better have notepad and a calculator.

You have it correct. No address book, no calculator, no Notepad, no
native DVD support either!

Notepad and calculator *do* come with Win 8 (use search to find them),
and there
are at least four even better calculators available in the app store
that are free, an address
book (Contact Vault) is free in the app store as well.
I am bothered by lack of native DVD support, although adding Media
Center at $9.95
isn't too much of a problem when the initial cost of Win 8 is so low
right now.

Please don't spread misinformation about Win 8. It's not perfect but
it's getting
better all the time.

Hi Tom! I don't know if you know this, but the Media Center with DVD
support is free until January 31st I think. You might need to use the
special offer website though. If you need it, I'll try to find it for
you. ;-)

Old December 18th 12, 10:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

On 11/25/2012 8:04 PM, Steve W. wrote:
Basically it is a tablet OS that MS thinks everyone wants....

Naw... that isn't so. True I am using this Windows 8 on a tablet right
now. But it is docked and I am using it with a keyboard and a mouse. And
my first machine I installed Windows 8 was one of my old Gateway M465
manufactured in '06 and it runs great there too. That one is usually
docked too with no touch screen.

Old December 18th 12, 10:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

On 11/22/2012 7:55 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
I'm glad my new computer I bought last month from Dell came with Windows
7. Don't think I want to upgrade to 8 either.

I bought two Dell Latitude ST this month and they also came with Windows
7. Although I am disappointed that Dell has no Windows 8 drivers and has
no plans for any support for Windows 8 for them.

Luckily it turns out that Dell had Motion Computing design and build
these machines. And Motion Computing has their own machines at a much
higher cost of course. And the Dell's version is designed after Motion
Computing's own CL900 model. And Motion Computing does support Windows
8. So guess where I got my Windows 8 drivers from? ;-)

Old December 18th 12, 10:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

On 11/20/2012 9:45 PM, RnR wrote:
Yeah I've been reading a couple of reports recently and either they
don't like it or it's just okay at best. One said they think it was
designed backward from the tablet outward to the PC, another said that
every other Microsoft OS is no good...ie: xp, vista, win 7 and win 8
and finally another report said that most 3rd party software has to be
reinstalled from scratch. Further I also read that a lot of it is
new and different from past OSs so there is a learning curve to use
it. So while I may have not read the ones that love win 8 (if any),
I guess I'll stick with windows 7. It's been more stable for me than
XP (my former favorite) so I see no need to change at this point.

Oh I think almost everybody hated Windows 8 at first. After all, you hit
the Windows key and you got this strange Start Screen instead of the
classic Start Menu. Worse, you can't even mouse over to the Start button
because it just ain't there. Sure we have been using the Start Menu for
17 years and now it is gone. It is a bit hard to get your head around
not doing things that way anymore.

At first anyway. I've been running Windows 8 CP since March I think and
it just takes a bit to get used to do it the new way. And I catch myself
on my Windows XP and Windows 7 machines nowadays trying to get to the
Start Screen instead of the Start Menu. Or trying to access a Metro App. lol

All of this time I have been running Windows 8 on a laptop in a dock.
Just like your average desktop machine. Although I have to admit, I had
zero interest in tablets at all. But Windows 8 has changed this and now
I got interested just this month. As now I am thinking that maybe
Windows is now fun on a tablet. And I must say, Windows 8 is indeed fun
on a tablet and on a desktop. Although the classic Windows desktop isn't
fun at all on a tablet. But no big deal, just buy a dock with a tablet
and now you have both worlds. ;-)

Last, good or bad, historically businesses are always slow to adapt to
a new platform for many reasons.

You bet! Microsoft was still selling businesses licenses for Windows for
Workgroups 3.11 until 2008. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_3.1#Legacy

Old December 19th 12, 08:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:46:32 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
CEO Steve Ballmer has already said that Microsoft sold 4 million Windows

8 upgrades in the first weekend after its debut, but it seems like sales

of the new OS aren’t going exactly as expected.

Citing an insider, Paul Thurrott of Winsupersite.com writes that Windows

8 is already considered a disappointing product in the Redmond campus

when it comes to sales.

Microsoft is yet to release any official sales figures, but executives

have already released optimistic sales projections, hinting that the

company expects to ship millions of copies before year-end.

What’s more interesting, however, is that Microsoft blames PC makers for

Windows 8’s disappointing sales performance, claiming that end users

don’t have enough choices to buy Windows 8 devices.

The number of computers, laptops and tablets running Windows 8 is still

small at this point, but several companies have already confirmed their

plans to release such products in the near future.

This is actually another reason for Microsoft’s intentions to continue

efforts in the hardware industry. By developing its own PC and devices,

Microsoft would only have to rely on its own products when launching new

software, but would also hurt sales of many other players in the

hardware sector.

In addition, these disappointing yet unknown sales figures also bring

Steven Sinofsky back in the spotlight. It’s not yet clear whether

Sinofsky has left the company because of the slow Windows 8 sales, but

more and more signs are suggesting that this was actually one of the

reasons for the upper management shift within Microsoft.

Of course, critics could mention many reasons for Windows 8’s failure to

impress, including the major changes in the GUI and the other

often-considered “confusing” elements, but it remains to be seen what

the impact of all these changes is over the average end user.

Microsoft is yet to comment on the matter, but we’ve contacted the

Redmondians, so we’ll get back to you when we receive an answer.

--

Steve W.

Windows 8 may be fun. But does it help you get your work done better than Windows 7? Sure it does. Now you whistle while you work! ... Ben Myers
Old January 9th 13, 06:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 00:42:32 -0800 (PST), Ben Myers
wrote:

[...]

Nothing I read says it does but I don't know. Maybe it does on
tablets???? I guess I will just wait for the dust to settle another
year or two and then see what others think.
Old January 23rd 13, 05:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

[...]

Tablets do not run x86 or x64 Windows 8, so the large ecosystem of Windows apps does not work on a Windows 8 tablet until somebody does some porting, one app at a time... Ben Myers