256Mb much better than 128Mb?

Old January 17th 04, 05:03 PM
Bobby

Default 256Mb much better than 128Mb?

I can purchase an FX5600 with 256Mb for £10 more than the same card with
128Mb. Is this a good idea? Will I notice any difference? What does the
on-board memory do?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old January 17th 04, 06:43 PM
Cuzman

"Bobby" wrote in message

" I can purchase an FX5600 with 256Mb for £10 more than the same card with
128Mb. Is this a good idea? Will I notice any difference? What does the
on-board memory do? "

You shouldn't see any marked improvement in todays games, but it will
future-proof the card for when games do actually require 256MB. For £10
more, I'd say it's worth the investment. There will probably come a day
when a 256MB FX5600 is of more use than a 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro.

Old January 17th 04, 07:39 PM
nightic

"Cuzman" wrote in message
"Bobby" wrote in message

" I can purchase an FX5600 with 256Mb for £10 more than the same card with
128Mb. Is this a good idea? Will I notice any difference? What does the
on-board memory do? "

You shouldn't see any marked improvement in todays games, but it will
future-proof the card for when games do actually require 256MB. For £10
more, I'd say it's worth the investment. There will probably come a day
when a 256MB FX5600 is of more use than a 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro.

Yeah, the day Top Trumps release a 'Graphics Cards of the World' pack and
your opponent chooses the 'total onboard RAM' field as the challenge

Old January 17th 04, 11:10 PM
chocolate

"nightic" wrote in message

"Cuzman" wrote in message
"Bobby" wrote in message

" I can purchase an FX5600 with 256Mb for £10 more than the same card

with
128Mb. Is this a good idea? Will I notice any difference? What does the
on-board memory do? "

You shouldn't see any marked improvement in todays games, but it will
future-proof the card for when games do actually require 256MB. For £10
more, I'd say it's worth the investment. There will probably come a day
when a 256MB FX5600 is of more use than a 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro.

Yeah, the day Top Trumps release a 'Graphics Cards of the World' pack and
your opponent chooses the 'total onboard RAM' field as the challenge

I wonder what feature would be the strong suit of an XGI V3?

Old January 18th 04, 03:35 AM
Cuzman

"chocolate" wrote in message

" I wonder what feature would be the strong suit of an XGI V3? "

Probably the *I came bottom of the pile out of 46 graphics cards on the
Tom's Hardware test*:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...229/index.html

Old January 18th 04, 08:30 AM
chocolate

"Cuzman" wrote in message
"chocolate" wrote in message

" I wonder what feature would be the strong suit of an XGI V3? "

Probably the *I came bottom of the pile out of 46 graphics cards on the
Tom's Hardware test*:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...229/index.html

So it's "crapness rating" would be very high?

Old January 18th 04, 10:46 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:03:28 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

I can purchase an FX5600 with 256Mb for £10 more than the same card with
128Mb. Is this a good idea? Will I notice any difference? What does the
on-board memory do?

No faster... Spend a few bucks more and get an ULTRA version.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...ournament_2003

Unless you get an ULTRA version, the 5600 - 128 or 256mb will still be
slower than the 2 year old Ti4200 with 64mb!

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 18th 04, 10:46 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:35:32 -0000, "Cuzman"
wrote:

"chocolate" wrote in message
m...

" I wonder what feature would be the strong suit of an XGI V3? "

Probably the *I came bottom of the pile out of 46 graphics cards on the
Tom's Hardware test*:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...229/index.html

Sad thing is... the XGI V8 DUO Ultra (2 chips) Is a total joke.. its a
$450 video card that performs about the same as the fx5200Pro...

Until recently, they had "cheating drivers" that lowered visual
quality to get the FPS up.

Check it out he
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...volari_23.html

HALO (1024x768)

50.0fps = fx5950 Ultra
54.2fps = ATI 9800 PRO
25.6fps = fx 5600Ultra
9.8fps = XGI V8 DUO Ultra

hmmm... was was getting a nice 30fps with my Ti4200!!

Old January 18th 04, 01:26 PM
Dark Avenger

I wonder what feature would be the strong suit of an XGI V3?

The XGI V3 is a DX8 card, please atleast look at the XGI V5 Ultra,
though that ones speed might be..umm..not really optimal!
Old January 18th 04, 01:29 PM
Dark Avenger

"Bobby" wrote in message ...
I can purchase an FX5600 with 256Mb for £10 more than the same card with
128Mb. Is this a good idea? Will I notice any difference? What does the
on-board memory do?

Cheers.

Bobby

The FX5600 is SLOW... but in some games that doesn't counts much. The
256Mb will never be used as games requiring it run at 10 FPS,
though... I guess in some very badly programmed games it migth run
slightly faster as an 9600XT wtih 128Mb memory, but that are VERY
BADLY programmed games.

But the card is not to bad... just not to good either!