Printing inkjet on canvas?

Old November 9th 08, 08:57 AM posted to alt.graphics.illustrator,comp.periphs.printers,alt.graphics.photoshop
[mfk][_2_]

Default Printing inkjet on canvas?

Hello!
i've read that's possible to print with an inkjet printer like Epson
7880 on canvas.

Has anyone experience?

Suggestion on the brand/model of substrate to print?

Thanks!!!

--
[mfk]

Old November 9th 08, 11:58 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.graphics.illustrator,alt.graphics.photoshop
Ato_Zee

i've read that's possible to print with an inkjet printer like Epson
7880 on canvas.

Ask the source of that information how they did it.
From experience ink tends to wick through the fibres
of canvas.
You can print onto transfer material then transfer
to canvas (such material is often used for DIY
T-shirt printing).
Or you can use your inkjet to produce photo
stencils for silk screen printing.
For an intro to fabric printing try
http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/category_s/21.htm
Old November 9th 08, 12:57 PM posted to alt.graphics.illustrator,comp.periphs.printers,alt.graphics.photoshop
Roy G[_2_]

"[mfk]" wrote in message
Hello!
i've read that's possible to print with an inkjet printer like Epson 7880
on canvas.

Has anyone experience?

Suggestion on the brand/model of substrate to print?

Thanks!!!

--
[mfk]

Strange as it may seem, a number of the Inkjet Photo Paper makers supply
Photo Canvas, onto which your Inkjet will print.

In your case why not try Epson?

So any strange suggestions about intemediate materials are not needed.

Roy G

Roy G

Old November 9th 08, 04:22 PM posted to alt.graphics.illustrator,comp.periphs.printers,alt.graphics.photoshop
Norm Dresner

"[mfk]" wrote in message
| Hello!
| i've read that's possible to print with an inkjet printer like Epson
| 7880 on canvas.
|
| Has anyone experience?
|
| Suggestion on the brand/model of substrate to print?
|
| Thanks!!!

Real canvas ... at best, not very likely ... I've tried an artist's "canvas"
paper and had miserable results. BUT ... I've used several different brands
of photo canvas supplied by both the printer makes -- Epson, HP, Kodak --
and paper makers like Hanemuler and others with great success.
Norm

Old November 10th 08, 12:26 AM posted to alt.graphics.illustrator,comp.periphs.printers,alt.graphics.photoshop
Flasherly

On Nov 9, 11:22 am, "Norm Dresner" wrote:
"[mfk]" wrote in message

| Hello!
| i've read that's possible to print with an inkjet printer like Epson
| 7880 on canvas.
|
| Has anyone experience?
|
| Suggestion on the brand/model of substrate to print?
|
| Thanks!!!

Real canvas ... at best, not very likely ... I've tried an artist's "canvas"
paper and had miserable results. BUT ... I've used several different brands
of photo canvas supplied by both the printer makes -- Epson, HP, Kodak --
and paper makers like Hanemuler and others with great success.
Norm

Canvas is linen covered with gesso (a mixture of titanium white,
ground gypsum rock, and rabbit-hide glue), otherwise referred to by
masons as plaster of Paris -- trick is to adapt specially formulated
inkjet cartridges containing artist's "oils", some like to further
build up in texture through adding imaginative things like sand or
Styrofoam.
Old November 10th 08, 12:58 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
davy

Would this site be of interest 'Wet Canvas' (http://www.wetcanvas.com/)
they specialize in this sort of work.

Davy

Old November 10th 08, 02:57 AM posted to alt.graphics.illustrator,comp.periphs.printers,alt.graphics.photoshop
Jay Ts

[mfk] wrote:
i've read that's possible to print with an inkjet printer
like Epson 7880 on canvas.

Yes. Epson's Pro line of printers are designed to print
on fine art media, including canvas that is coated
for inkjet printing. Both Imagekind and RedBubble use
Epson printers to make the canvas prints they sell.
If you don't mind spending a few dollars, you can
buy a print to sample the quality. (Just to add a
lousy attempt at self-promotion.

If you want to learn more, go to Epson's website
and look around -- at the Professional stuff,
not the home and business printers. They sell
at least two types of canvas.

Some of HP's high-end printers may also be able to
print on canvas, and you can take a look at their
models, too.

If you don't have a printer that you are sure
is designed to print on canvas, be careful.
You can easily damage your printer and you may
definitely void your warranty (according to an HP customer
service rep I had asked). Photo printers can handle
photo paper, which is about 10 mils thick, but are
not rated for anything thicker than that. Just now
I measured the samples of Epson canvas. One is 16 mils
and the other is 20 mils.

Jay Ts
http://jayts.imagekind.com
http://jayts.redbubble.com
--
To contact me, use this web page:
http://www.jayts.com/contact.php
Old November 11th 08, 06:59 AM posted to alt.graphics.illustrator,comp.periphs.printers,alt.graphics.photoshop
[mfk][_3_]

Sembra che Jay Ts abbia detto :
[mfk] wrote:
[...]

Thanks you all for your answers. I must buy an Epson 7880 because i
print positive for screenprinting, but i've heard about the canvas..so
i thought the possibility to print also them

I'll visit the Epson in the Professional section..

Thanks!

Old November 11th 08, 12:10 PM posted to alt.graphics.illustrator,comp.periphs.printers,alt.graphics.photoshop
Arthur Entlich

As has been mentioned, there are a number of canvases made for inkjet
use, which contain a special surface which accepts inkjet inks. Epson
makes one, and there are a number of 3rd party paper suppliers which
offer similar products.

The main problem is they tend to crack or craze if stretched or folded
in any manner (such as when mounting on stretcher strips.). The canvas
usually sued for these types of applications is rather fine and thin to
be flexible and lie flat.

You can prepare primed (gessoed) canvas for inkjet use as well, although
the results may take some experimentation to get the way you wish.
Golden paints makes a white and clear inkjet undersurface surface which
is painted on with a foam brush. It takes a few coats to get it even
and the correct thickness. It sells for about $10 for 4 ounces as I
recall. They suggest further coating the finished work with another
product to keep the fading to a minimum.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Old November 12th 08, 05:51 PM posted to alt.graphics.illustrator,comp.periphs.printers,alt.graphics.photoshop
[mfk][_3_]

Arthur Entlich ci ha detto :
[...]

Hello,
thanks for the reply!

Printing on Wide format Canvas and Cotton 100% fabric [email protected] Printers 0 July 11th 06 02:23 PM
Printing to canvas from Illustrator... need a Postscript Printer? [email protected] Printers 0 August 19th 05 12:33 PM
Inkjet Printing Bob Headrick Printers 3 February 9th 04 03:54 AM
Waterproof Ink for CDR Inkjet Printing? Rex Swain Printers 10 November 26th 03 09:34 PM
Printing on Inkjet bdowns Printers 5 June 30th 03 05:39 PM