Yeah, the 6800 Video Processor is broken.

Old October 28th 04, 05:10 PM
CapFusion

"Ed Light" wrote in message
news:WGZfd.44810$bk1.36828@fed1read05...
Apparently it is.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7535

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

According to link / article, it seem like it still have problem.

CapFusion,...

Old October 28th 04, 05:20 PM
Folk

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:16:14 +0100, "Les" wrote:

WWHHOOOOSSHHHH. thats the sound of the problem going right over your head.

It has never been indicated that the nvidia dvd decoder software was
required to make use of this ability. I don't insist the nvidia dvd decoder
software should be included in the package, I insist the advertised function
works without the need of a seperate software pack that end users are
required to purchase.

You sir are being an arse

Oh really? The software came with my 6800 GT. RaceFace says the
software came with his card too. Do you even have a qualified card?
Did you bother to look on the CD that came with the card?

Old October 28th 04, 06:03 PM
Chip

"Richard Dower" wrote in message

"DaveL" wrote in message
No it's not! It just needs a driver update.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314

DaveL

I'm confused!

Don't be. Read the article again and you will see they are saying, YES its
broken. Read it carefully.

Chip

Old October 28th 04, 06:07 PM
Chip

"DaveL" wrote in message
No it's not! It just needs a driver update.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314

DaveL

YES IT IS. Read the article, not the headline.

Its quite clear. They say that WMV acceleration works on the 6600 with a
new driver and the DVD decoder. Full stop. Notice the total lack of
comment about WMV acceleration on the 6800?

I rest my case.

Chip

Old October 28th 04, 07:35 PM
Tim

"Ed Light" wrote in message
Apparently it is.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7535

Is this really a big deal though, assuming one has a fast CPU? Is there
something still lacking by not having the acceleration?

Old October 28th 04, 08:17 PM
Les

"Folk" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:16:14 +0100, "Les" wrote:

WWHHOOOOSSHHHH. thats the sound of the problem going right over your head.

It has never been indicated that the nvidia dvd decoder software was
required to make use of this ability. I don't insist the nvidia dvd
decoder
software should be included in the package, I insist the advertised
function
works without the need of a seperate software pack that end users are
required to purchase.

You sir are being an arse

Oh really? The software came with my 6800 GT.

Did it? You sure?

RaceFace says the
software came with his card too. Do you even have a qualified card?

No of course not, that's why it bothers me so much

Did you bother to look on the CD that came with the card?

YES FOR ****S SAKE, DID YOU BOTHER LOOKING AT WHAT HAS BEEN DISCUSSED.

Can no one read or what. NVDVD is not the same as NVIDIA DVD Decoder, DVD
decoder is what nvidia quote as being needed to utilise the 6800 video
processor.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nvdvd_downloadtrial.html been out ages plays
dvd's, much like windvd, powerdvd etc tends to come free with most nvidia
based graphics cards

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_1.00.58.html came out 20/10/2004,
isn't free and isn't supplied with most nvidia based graphics cards and is
needed to utilise 6800 video processor

here is the link to the enquirer article again
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314 please find the part where it says
to install NVDVD and quote it for me.

--
Les
AMD64 3200+

Old October 28th 04, 10:22 PM
Folk

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:17:29 +0100, "Les" wrote:

YES FOR ****S SAKE, DID YOU BOTHER LOOKING AT WHAT HAS BEEN DISCUSSED.

Thanks for sharing.

You should consider anger management.

Old October 29th 04, 12:07 AM
tq96

Is this really a big deal though, assuming one has a fast CPU? Is there
something still lacking by not having the acceleration?

There are reports that even high end systems have trouble decoding 1080i
encoded WMVs.

But even with a fast CPU, we have a case of a company advertising features
it either knew were broken or that it hadn't properly tested.
Old October 29th 04, 12:52 AM
RaceFace

"Tim" wrote in message

"Ed Light" wrote in message
Apparently it is.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7535

Is this really a big deal though, assuming one has a fast CPU? Is there
something still lacking by not having the acceleration?

Yes. You can't, for instance, play the new WMV HD stuff without hardware
decoding. If you try it in software, it stutters like crazy. Even on my P4
3.06HT chip.

Old October 29th 04, 01:19 AM
Ed Light

More from Overclockers today: