which usb cable for laser printer?

Old August 27th 03, 03:21 PM
Ben

Default which usb cable for laser printer?

Hi,

I am in the process of buying a Samsung ML-1710 laser printer and am
looking to buy a USB cable. I have seen for example at Officedepot the
"Belkin" brand for around $25 which I understand is the Rolls Royce of
usb cables, but I am wondering if I could just as easily get a cheap one
to do the same thing without any difference in performance or anything
else? For example, I can get a "10-foot USB 2.0/1.0 A-B Cable" for $10
at overstock.com. Would I be losing out getting a cheaper cable here?

Thanks,
Ben

--
BTW. I can be contacted at Username:newsgroup4.replies.benaltw
Domain:xoxy.net

Old August 27th 03, 03:39 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Ben wrote:
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a Samsung ML-1710 laser printer and am
looking to buy a USB cable. I have seen for example at Officedepot the
"Belkin" brand for around $25 which I understand is the Rolls Royce of
usb cables, but I am wondering if I could just as easily get a cheap one
to do the same thing without any difference in performance or anything
else? For example, I can get a "10-foot USB 2.0/1.0 A-B Cable" for $10
at overstock.com. Would I be losing out getting a cheaper cable here?

Thanks,
Ben

--
BTW. I can be contacted at Username:newsgroup4.replies.benaltw
Domain:xoxy.net

The cheapest one.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old August 27th 03, 04:04 PM
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Ben wrote:
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a Samsung ML-1710 laser printer and am
looking to buy a USB cable. I have seen for example at Officedepot the
"Belkin" brand for around $25 which I understand is the Rolls Royce of
usb cables, but I am wondering if I could just as easily get a cheap one
to do the same thing without any difference in performance or anything
else? For example, I can get a "10-foot USB 2.0/1.0 A-B Cable" for $10
at overstock.com. Would I be losing out getting a cheaper cable here?

Unlikely. The USB specification is pretty specific about the
cable parameters. Just make sure it is an USB 2.0 cable if
the printer uses 2.0, I have ben having trouble with running
USB 2.0 iover a 1.1 cable, and no problems with a similar
looking USB2.0 cable (possibly from the same manufacturer).

Arno

Old August 27th 03, 04:54 PM
Larc

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:21:10 -0500, Ben pondered exceedingly, then took quill in
hand and carefully composed...

| I am in the process of buying a Samsung ML-1710 laser printer and am
| looking to buy a USB cable. I have seen for example at Officedepot the
| "Belkin" brand for around $25 which I understand is the Rolls Royce of
| usb cables, but I am wondering if I could just as easily get a cheap one
| to do the same thing without any difference in performance or anything
| else? For example, I can get a "10-foot USB 2.0/1.0 A-B Cable" for $10
| at overstock.com. Would I be losing out getting a cheaper cable here?

Any cable that's USB 2.0 rated should be OK. As for Belkin being the "Rolls
Royce" of cables, I suspect the main source of such claims of superiority is
Belkin itself — or at least their advertising department. Frankly, I've usually
found their products to be overpriced in relation to real world quality.

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old August 27th 03, 05:00 PM
Marc Reinig

Any USB 1.1 cable will work on USB 2.0. The spec guarantees this. There
were some out of spec USB 1.0 cables, but in general, if you buy a cable
today, don't be fooled by more expensive ones that are labled 2.0. Any 1.1
cable is the same as a 2.0 cable per the spec.

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

Old August 27th 03, 05:15 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Larc wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:21:10 -0500, Ben pondered exceedingly, then took
quill in hand and carefully composed...

| I am in the process of buying a Samsung ML-1710 laser printer and am
| looking to buy a USB cable. I have seen for example at Officedepot the
| "Belkin" brand for around $25 which I understand is the Rolls Royce of
| usb cables, but I am wondering if I could just as easily get a cheap one
| to do the same thing without any difference in performance or anything
| else? For example, I can get a "10-foot USB 2.0/1.0 A-B Cable" for $10
| at overstock.com. Would I be losing out getting a cheaper cable here?

Any cable that's USB 2.0 rated should be OK. As for Belkin being the "Rolls
Royce" of cables, I suspect the main source of such claims of superiority is
Belkin itself — or at least their advertising department. Frankly, I've usually
found their products to be overpriced in relation to real world quality.

Larc

I have friends that rave about Belkin support and customer service for
bigger things like KVM switches and I'm predisposed to them for this
reason, but I never expect to call support for a piece of wire.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old August 27th 03, 05:21 PM
Ben

John McGaw wrote:
I am in the process of buying a Samsung ML-1710 laser printer and am
looking to buy a USB cable. I have seen for example at Officedepot the

[snip]

snip...
Are you sure that the printer doesn't already come with a cable? It seems
that every time I buy some USB peripheral they throw a cable into the box.

According to the specs at
http://www.officedepot.com/txtSearch...431488&x=0&y=0 no
cable is included.

Thanks for everyone's response btw. I ordered the cable form overstock.
It was $11.50, but I got a $5 off coupon which with shipping made it $9.50.

regards,
Ben

Old August 27th 03, 06:40 PM
Arno Wagner

Good to know. I have one of these out-of-spec cables, which I got with
an USB 1.0 hub. When I ran my external HDD over the cable`, I got so
mansy transmission errors, the kernel decided the HDD was unusable. No
such problem with the cable that came with the externam enclosure.

Arno

Old August 27th 03, 07:01 PM
Ben

Marc Reinig wrote:
Any USB 1.1 cable will work on USB 2.0. The spec guarantees this. There
were some out of spec USB 1.0 cables, but in general, if you buy a cable
today, don't be fooled by more expensive ones that are labeled 2.0. Any 1.1
cable is the same as a 2.0 cable per the spec.

I just checked and according to the Samsung site its connectivity is USB
1.1. From what you said above I assume that the cables are then
interchangeable and the 2.0 one I ordered will work okay with it?

Thanks,
Ben

Old August 27th 03, 08:46 PM
CJT

Ben wrote:

Hi,

I am in the process of buying a Samsung ML-1710 laser printer and am
looking to buy a USB cable. I have seen for example at Officedepot the
"Belkin" brand for around $25 which I understand is the Rolls Royce of
usb cables, but I am wondering if I could just as easily get a cheap one
to do the same thing without any difference in performance or anything
else? For example, I can get a "10-foot USB 2.0/1.0 A-B Cable" for $10
at overstock.com. Would I be losing out getting a cheaper cable here?

Thanks,
Ben

FWIW, Fry's here has 10' 2.0 cables on sale today for 2 bucks. Even
their regular price is less than $10.

VUEGO SCAN - BRISA 320P scanner (printer cable option) jmazz General 0 August 7th 03 01:16 AM
dell usb problem with HP printer woodrow General 3 August 4th 03 06:11 PM
Need help finding Cable signal problem Vanguard General 1 August 1st 03 09:56 PM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM
IDE Conductor Cable? rcm General 0 July 24th 03 06:44 AM