liquid cooling

Old July 27th 03, 02:02 AM
Arthur Hagen

Default liquid cooling

"Eric R." wrote in message
Who makes the best kit for someone new to watercooling. I see some of the
posts talking of leaking pumps so I guess reliability is my biggest
concern.

If you're new to water-cooling, I would recommend that you get an external
cooler, and make sure you get everything you need. The Exos external unit
is well proven and works extremely well, but note that it doesn't
necessarily come with a CPU block. The new Corsair external cooler has
gotten some excellent reviews (except one, which might have been a unit with
a bad pump), and comes with everything needed.
Expect to pay around $200.

Internal kits are a tad more tricky, as you're required to provide ample
cooling opportunities inside the case -- this often means installing extra
front fans in addition to a rear radiator/fan combo that might be hard to
fit. You also will have the reservoir (if any) inside the case, which you
may not want if reliability is your biggest concern.
I'd be more concerned about the pump, quite frankly. It might be a very
good investment to buy a spare pump, and replace the pump immediately if the
old pump gives out or becomes slow.

Note that even the most leak-proof water-cooling kit can lead to water
damage on hot and humid days -- you can get condensation. This is most
often seen on the outside of the valves, or at the bottom end of vertical
pieces of tubing -- both always on the "cold" side. If you live somewhere
it can become hot and humid, a piece of cotton twist around the cold valves
or other condensation-prone parts can be a good idea, as it can suck up the
moisture and allow it to evaporate before it collects into drops.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old July 27th 03, 08:49 AM
Dennis Strausser Jr

"Arthur Hagen" wrote in message

"Eric R." wrote in message
[...]

In a way, I found a way around this. But I have yet to try it.
Them small squar things, I can never remember the name of those things.
I'm thinking about putting a nob on it.
After that is, I take down the power of the power supply I want to use, put
a, for the most part, a volum nob on it.
This way, I will have at least some control over what temp it will run
at. this I want to put in a small space in my radiator, it's not
a lot of space. But it's enough for that anyway. And if it's not tight
enough where I want to put it, I'll just use a piece of change.
This will, if I put it in there, go at the bottom of my radiator. : Why?
It gets hot on one side, so if I wedge the cold side up against the
main part of the radiator where the water is, then put the hot side down,
if it drips from being cold, it will drip onto a hot surface and dry.
Swiftech is What I have.
Here's a link of one of the places on z net where you can get some of this
stuff.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/fro...Cases/se=Swift
ech%20QPower/mp=menu_search.html?source=GOTO&keyword=swiftech
Denny.
Regards,
--
*Art

Old July 30th 03, 02:50 PM
Ken Maltby

"Eric R." wrote in message
Who makes the best kit for someone new to watercooling. I see some of the
posts talking of leaking pumps so I guess reliability is my biggest

concern.

thanks in advance

I think it's more fun to make your own.
You can just assemble parts, connecting them
togather with tubing from Home Depot.

I made a CPU waterblock on my mill that
worked great for several years, but now I
just get the CPU, GPU, and Northbrige
Waterblocks off the internet. I got a small
waterblock at my local CompUSA store,
that fits on the A7N8X Southbridge.

The only waterblock that I'll need to make
is for the video memory.

All the rest of the parts for an external (not
all in the case) water cooling sys, can be
scrounged up from hardware, auto and
thrift shops. With a little luck, it can come
in under $100.

As an example:

1. A small one room table top air filtering unit
with a rectangle filter element the same dim. as;

2. A "Transmission Oil Radiator".

3. A small inline or submersible "pond" pump.

4. A small reservoir

5. Your waterblock(s)

6. The fittings and tubing needed to connect it
all togather.

Put #2 into #1 were the filter was and seal it
so that the air is drawn thru #2 in the same
fashion as it would have been thru the filter
element.

Put #3 into #4- if #3 is submersible; otherwise
install a fitting to extract the water from near the
bottem of #4

Measure for the tubing and connect everything
togather with the waterblock(s) outside of the
case (make your tubing long enough to run thru
wherever it enters the case and then out the open
side of the case)

The circuit that I use is that the pump output
goes to the waterblock(s); then thru the radiator
to the reservoir and back to the pump.

Fill with distilled water and test for leaks. Run
the leak test as long as you need to be sure any/
all leaks have been found and corrected.

#1, #3, the computer, and monitor are all
plugged into a switched 6 outlet surge supressor.
(if you place #1&#3 in a closet or bathroom then
plug them into an extension cord and plug that
into the surge supressor)
[ This way the computer cannot have power
unless the water is flowing ]

Luck;
Ken