canon i9900 printhead packaged used?

Old October 24th 04, 03:07 AM
greensteak

Default canon i9900 printhead packaged used?

I opened up the sealed package containing the printhead for my brand
new Canon i9900 photo printer tonight, bought from NewEgg.com, and it
had already been used. The printhead had very small ink beads on it,
and the tank slots all had ink residue from the particular color that
goes in the slot.

It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
before selling.

It probably won't effect the operation of the printer, but I hate the
idea of getting something used that's supposed to be new. Hopefully,
they just ran some ink through it at the factory, but for some reason
that sounds odd.

Canon tech support is closed and not supporting anything till Monday
morning.
How convenient.
Old October 24th 04, 05:29 AM
colinco

In article greensteak says...
It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
before selling.

They are tested. That's why it's in a sealed bag.
Old October 24th 04, 12:53 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

colinco wrote:
In article greensteak says...
It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
before selling.

They are tested. That's why it's in a sealed bag.

No they're not - the printhead for my i9950 (same printer, EU model) was
spotless.
lose his marbles?

Old October 24th 04, 01:07 PM
SleeperMan

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
colinco wrote:
In article greensteak says...
It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
before selling.

They are tested. That's why it's in a sealed bag.

No they're not - the printhead for my i9950 (same printer, EU model)
was spotless.

I don't recall exactly, but when i receeived my ip4000 just a week ago, i
really can't remember any ink residuals on my head...i think it was clean.

Old October 24th 04, 08:16 PM
greensteak

I spoke with a Canon sales representative, who believes this is an
abnormal situation. I still have to wait for technical support to get
back to work Monday morning to find out more. But it looks like a
warranty situation that can be relsolved in a matter of days (I hope).

It would be rather nice if Canon had technical support on Sundays. But
I guess that's asking way too much.

Old October 24th 04, 09:35 PM
colinco

In article Miss Perspicacia Tick says...
colinco wrote:
In article greensteak says...
It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
before selling.

They are tested. That's why it's in a sealed bag.

No they're not - the printhead for my i9950 (same printer, EU model) was
spotless.

I don't know whether the fluid in the head was ink but both my i865s had
"wet" heads straight out of the bag and the purge pads in the printer
bodies had some ink on them. Unopened since factory.
Old October 24th 04, 10:53 PM
PC Medic

"colinco" wrote in message
In article Miss Perspicacia Tick says...
colinco wrote:
In article greensteak says...
It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
before selling.

They are tested. That's why it's in a sealed bag.

No they're not - the printhead for my i9950 (same printer, EU model) was
spotless.

I don't know whether the fluid in the head was ink but both my i865s had
"wet" heads straight out of the bag and the purge pads in the printer
bodies had some ink on them. Unopened since factory.

The printheads as packed may exhibit a slight film in the nozzle area, but
this should be barely noticeable. Visible ink should never be present in a
brand new printer and I suspect the OP was sold a display model or return
that a store employee had boxed back up (happens all the time).

Old October 25th 04, 03:39 AM
greensteak

The printheads as packed may exhibit a slight film in the nozzle area, but
this should be barely noticeable. Visible ink should never be present in a
brand new printer and I suspect the OP was sold a display model or return
that a store employee had boxed back up (happens all the time).

This was not a film-the printhead had several extremely tiny "beads",
which took great magnification to prpoerly see, but nevertheless were
first spotted as irregularities with the naked eye.

All I can say is, the moving parts of the printer were all taped up,
with orange tape, and the printer itself appears clean with no
fingerprints, dust, or other signs of previous excess handling.
Everything that was in the box appeared to have been factory packed,
and not a sloppily repacked. The accessories were all bagged as if in
original packing.(Hey, how about Canon not supplying USB cables? What
a load.) The print head was in a grey, semi foil-like sealed bag with
Canon's logo in several languages on it. It had two preforations for
tearing the bag open, and there's no way someone could open it and
reclose it. Anyway, like I said in the original post, it was bought
from NewEgg.com. But, you never know where they got it...............

I also called Best Buy for the heck of it to get their opinion (don't
worry, I don't take anything they say very seriously), and a HP rep
that happened to be in the store said that it is definitely abnormal
to have ink residue on the printhead and ink slots, but that it's
possible Canon did a quality control check. If they did that,
depending on how many "checks" the printer or print head went through,
the unit or at least the printhead gets demoted to "floor model"
status in my opinion. If they ran one print through it, no problem.
But if they ran several, then I might take issue. Besides, it's not
good to have ink in those things while they're not being used.
Somebody posted that "that's why they're in a sealed bag", which would
make sense since that might prevent the ink from drying. Yet, still
doesn't sound like a sound practice.

It will be interesting to hear the opinion from Canon tomorrow
morning.