The XP SP2 Horror to come.

Old August 18th 04, 01:47 AM
TR

Default The XP SP2 Horror to come.

The list of programs that will work “differently” after the service
pack 2 has expanded to 200 applications on the eve of the consumer
roll out of the update. (Microsoft's update troubles deepen further)
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=457

Believe it or not... The List includes a lot of MS's own applications
including Office!

But what the hell... Bill's still going to release it and let the
public sort it out as usual.
Old August 18th 04, 01:50 AM
TR

Sorry, I posted this to the wrong NG... It was meant for an OS NG
and I fumble fingered it into the printers NG my mistake....

Again... I am sorry for the mistake.....

Regards,
TR
Old August 18th 04, 08:16 AM
Winey

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:50:12 -0400, TR
wrote:

Sorry, I posted this to the wrong NG... It was meant for an OS NG
and I fumble fingered it into the printers NG my mistake....

Again... I am sorry for the mistake.....

Still, your message is a shot across the bow for anyone who uses a PC.

My surmise is that most of the problems occur because the Microsoft
built-in firewall in SP2 is turned on by default. That was to make
people's PCs "more secure" to defend them against direct attacks and
zombie takeovers.

But, scanning the list on the MS site, cited in the previous mailnote,
my guess is that most of the problems can be "worked around" by
turning OFF the MS firewall, thus defeating one of the prime
objectives for this SP.

sic transit gloria mundi ...

Think of SP2 as the Microsoft attempt to get all those unemployed
(outsourced) techies hired back in a hurry. Also the "consultants'
relief release."

--W--

Regards,
TR

Old August 18th 04, 04:43 PM
TR

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:16:29 -0700, Winey
wrote:

Still, your message is a shot across the bow for anyone who uses a PC.

Then if this is of interest on this NG, let me continue:

From: http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/000153.html

PC World's Techlog
News, opinion, and links from Editor in Chief Harry McCracken.

IBM on Windows SP2: Watch Out!

Posted by Harry McCracken
Sunday, August 08, 2004, 10:10 PM (PST)

More Windows XP Service Pack 2 developments: IBM, which is not only a
big technology company but a big user of technology, is warning its
400,000 PC-using employees not to install SP2 until it's fixed some of
the apps it uses to ensure compatibility with SP2. (For more, see this
story by IDG News Service correspondent Joris Evers. Joris,
incidentally, works within shouting distance of me here in San
Francisco, but this story is on Computerworld Australia's site.)

Big Blue's take actually doesn't sound like a slam against SP2 so much
as good common sense. Because Microsoft designed SP2 to err on the
side of security--a philosophy that it's high time the company
took--it's inevitable that there will be some compatibility glitches
with existing stuff. IBM says it'll tweak its software and then deploy
a custom version of SP2; those of us with a few PCs rather than a few
hundred thousand may not be able to do that, but we can at least hold
off installing SP2 briefly to see if anyone else reports serious
problems with the apps we use.

Microsoft, meanwhile, is still urging everyone to install SP2
immediately. If you decide to be an SP2 early adopter, I'd love to
hear what you think...

Regards,
TR