The real cheapest printer? I may be stupid but....

Old September 12th 03, 06:50 AM

Default The real cheapest printer? I may be stupid but....

In Australia you can now buy lexmatk, canon or HP in Dick Smith for around
$60 AUD [x 0.65 for USD]

Say a new genuine HP 690c colour cartridge is $70

Refillers everywhere do them at $30 approx and used to have no problems now
say the "electrics" are gone or its "dried out" so I cant refill so they
sell you a $70 one!

Isnt it better to just buy a new printer each time?

If so which can be refilled without problems or who sells genuine ink at a
fair price?

Yes I know some new ones have 1/2 full ink!!

Old September 13th 03, 07:43 AM

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:50:21 +1000, wrote:

In Australia you can now buy lexmatk, canon or HP in Dick Smith for around
$60 AUD [x 0.65 for USD]

Say a new genuine HP 690c colour cartridge is $70

Refillers everywhere do them at $30 approx and used to have no problems now
say the "electrics" are gone or its "dried out" so I cant refill so they
sell you a $70 one!

Isnt it better to just buy a new printer each time?

If so which can be refilled without problems or who sells genuine ink at a
fair price?

Yes I know some new ones have 1/2 full ink!!

Your absolutely right when it comes to inkjets and it's stupid. What
you are suggesting is exactly what more and more people are doing now
too. Here in Alberta, Canada, our government is planning on
introducing a recycling tax targeted at computer equipment to try and
stem the mountains of this stuff that are rapidly filling up the
landfills and polluting the land and water. I say bring it on and
maybe that will force the manufacturers into selling the printers at
their real costs and selling the cartridges for more reasonable
amounts. Now if the toner and ink refillers would get their acts
together and lobby their respective governments, perhaps the feds
could force the manufacturers into getting rid of chipped
cartridges.. All in the name of saving the enviroment. And, to
paraphrase Martha Stewart, thats a good thing.

Frank

Old September 14th 03, 03:32 AM
Gary Tait

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 10:24:30 GMT, "Safetymom123"
wrote:

So what is a reasonable price for a printer if the manufacturer allowed you
to refill?

Hows about twice.

.. .

Old September 15th 03, 08:02 PM
Bill Martin

Isnt it better to just buy a new printer each time?

Not strictly true perhaps. The cartridges which come with a new printer have
less ink in them I believe. You may still be right however -- I don't know
how much less they have.

Bill
Old September 15th 03, 08:48 PM
David Chien

Isnt it better to just buy a new printer each time?

Most of the time, yes. With Target stores selling one of the
Lexmarks for $24 on sale; other stores averaging $20-30 for a new inkjet
on sale, there's little need to worry about buying a new cartridge.

Old September 15th 03, 09:10 PM
Taliesyn

David Chien wrote:

Isnt it better to just buy a new printer each time?

Most of the time, yes. With Target stores selling one of the Lexmarks
for $24 on sale; other stores averaging $20-30 for a new inkjet on sale,
there's little need to worry about buying a new cartridge.

What's with the stupidity of buying a whole printer every time you run
out of ink!!!

You're still wasting loads of money. I have a decent, quality printer, a
Canon i850, and refill all 4 cartridges for about $5. Doesn't that make
a little more sense?

-Taliesyn

Old September 16th 03, 10:13 PM
David Chien

You're still wasting loads of money. I have a decent, quality printer, a
Canon i850, and refill all 4 cartridges for about $5. Doesn't that make
a little more sense?

Well, if you're really after ink savings, how about retrofitting a
printer with the CIS continous ink bottle feed system and you can then
go thousands of pages on bottles of ink at prices less than a penny per
page. Or, gee. Don't want to bother with refilling or retrofitting?
Laser printer! One of those $80 AR laser printers (see
www.fatwallet.com/forums/ - hot deals) will get you 2000-5000 printed
pages on $80, and you can sell the baby for more than that used and buy
up 2-4 inkjet printers cheap after that for another 1000+ pages.

Lots of ways to save $$$ printing if you really look around.

(Of course, everyone DID get in on the recent free 500 pages/ream of
paper if you bring in an empty ink cartridges at
Staples/OfficeDepot/OfficeMax right?... if not read
www.fatwallet.com/forums/ - hot deals daily!)

nothing like being up 8000+ free pages of paper on all of those ink
cartridges we keep using, right?