Gateway strikes again!

Old September 9th 04, 10:35 PM
Denzil Hathway

Default Gateway strikes again!

I'm an avowed Gateway domestic devotee ever since my first computer in 1991.
Five computers later, a week ago I ordered a 120 Gig HD. Today, the due date
of delivery, I get an automated voice message that Gateway cannot fill the
order but will prioritize it so that I would get the hard drive in two
weeks!

How can I wait a further two weeks? I can buy one off the shelf at CompUSA
down the street? What grieves me is that not only will Gateway not fill the
order they will not service my machine once a part they have not supplied is
put in it.

So much for being a Gateway fan! How does one remain a loyal customer under
these circumstances? Denzil.

Old September 9th 04, 11:18 PM
Joan F \(MI\)

Are you sure about the latter? They serviced my computer under warranty a
couple of years ago and I had added a second hard drive, a SCSI card for my
scanner, and replaced the original CDRW with a Plextor. They never said
anything about the additions.

In news:6140d.289629$Oi.47685@fed1read04,
Denzil Hathway stated

Old September 9th 04, 11:38 PM
Frank Logullo

"Denzil Hathway" wrote in message
[...]

One of the things I've learned over the years is not to be a loyal customer
to any company.
In a rapidly changing world, I would reevaluate products and services before
buying something new.
Currently my son, who is a computer software professional, is a Dell fan.
Next computer I would stack up the computers and buy what I feel is best.
Frank

Old September 10th 04, 12:53 AM
PWY

[...]

Gateway's policy in the past has been that they will not service the parts
that they did not sell to you.
They are still responsible for the parts in your machine that they did sell
to you.
This always seemed fair and reasonable to me. Unless something has changed
this should still be the policy. Ask them.
PWY

Old September 11th 04, 03:40 PM
Howard Kaikow

Same policy at other manufacturers.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
m...

Old September 11th 04, 07:45 PM
Ben Myers

My policy, too, for computers I occasionally build for clients. What other way
is there to separate responsibility? If you bought a car, and changed out the
exhaust system for a different one, the car manufacturer would not honor a
warranty or a recall on the parts you added... Ben Myers

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:40:26 -0400, "Howard Kaikow"
wrote:

Same policy at other manufacturers.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
om...

Old September 12th 04, 03:05 AM
Ben Myers

And to carry the automotive analogy further, just think if we had lemon laws for
computers? How many times would Windows have been recalled in the last 10
years?

.... Ben Myers

wrote:

Same policy at other manufacturers.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
. com...

Old September 12th 04, 11:54 AM
Ben Myers

An MRI, or will and X-Ray do???? ... Ben

wrote:

Same policy at other manufacturers.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.