Video stuttering w/9700pro ....Mcafee AV strikes!

Old June 22nd 04, 06:33 PM
Heywood

Default Video stuttering w/9700pro ....Mcafee AV strikes!

Well, after wrestling with video stuttering (caused by high cpu usage
at varying intervals) I finally deinstalled Mcafee Antivirus 8 instead
of just shutting it down (forgot about the services running).

I got Kasparsky Labs Antivirus, removing all references left in the
reqistry by Mcafee and you know the rest....stuttering is gone!

System
MSI KT8Neo FS1R w/ Athlon 64 3200+ (not oc)
1g pc3500 ram
ATI 9700 pro not oc but with artic cooler
Seagate SATA drive on VIA SATA controller
etc

FWIW
As you might have guessed, I thought my system was pretty decent....at
least not to stutter! Well I knew about Norton being a hog, and now
also now about Mcafee
Old June 23rd 04, 12:29 AM
John Lewis

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:33:41 -0700, Heywood wrote:

Well, after wrestling with video stuttering (caused by high cpu usage
at varying intervals) I finally deinstalled Mcafee Antivirus 8 instead
of just shutting it down (forgot about the services running).

Ummm...........

I discovered that Mcafee8 is a POS.
Two major bugs noted 15 minutes after firing it up. Reverted to V7.
Fortunately, with rebates, I paid $0 for it. McAfee gets worst we
every so-called-upgrade release. Pretty obvious that they must
have "downsized" their QC department.

John Lewis

Old June 23rd 04, 12:32 AM
NightSky 421

Heywood wrote in message

FWIW
As you might have guessed, I thought my system was pretty decent....at
least not to stutter! Well I knew about Norton being a hog, and now
also now about Mcafee

I'm sworn off of Norton and McAfee...right now, I'm using the excellent
and frequently updated virus scanner at www.free-av.com .

Old June 23rd 04, 05:34 AM
Heywood

As a follow up,
I have been running my system all day with NO VIDEO STUTTER, and NO
MCafee.....Like Norton, Mcafee made a complete mess out of the
registry and it took quite a bit of editing to rid my registry of
it,since the uninstaller did not even begin to really clean it out!
(Luckily I have good tools and did not have to use regedit!)

Like you, my net cost for the stuff was zero after rebates etc. I
should bill them for my time getting rid of it! grin

Kaspersky seems to perform well from my checking around the net
reviews, and it is not hogging the system!!!! Amazes me that Mcafee
could bog down an Athlon 64 3200 CPU w/ a gig of high speed ram and
with a 9700 Pro!!!!! What a POS crapware.

MORAL...IF YOUR SYSTEM STUTTERS, CHECK WHAT ANTIVIRUS AND OTHER
POLLING TYPE PROGGIES YOU RUN!

Old June 24th 04, 03:37 AM
First of One

This IS a good scanner. Not since the days of the venerable Thunderbyte have
I seen an AV program so "lean and mean".

Video problems? Kedrid General 0 February 11th 04 07:32 PM
Cheap video cards with Video IN zalzon Ati Videocards 8 February 5th 04 04:47 AM
Why doesn't ATI make VIVO cards anymore , I don't want TV SH*T, just capability of recording VIDEO IN! [email protected] Ati Videocards 10 January 28th 04 04:43 AM
trouble playing video through my TV using AIW 9000 HBW Ati Videocards 1 January 14th 04 06:00 PM
Nforce 2 onboard video - hows it compare to a Geforce 2 GTS card? kony General 1 August 31st 03 07:30 PM