Can't copy DVD non-commercial - Nero

Old February 23rd 04, 06:34 AM
Louise

Default Can't copy DVD non-commercial - Nero

I brought a VHS tape to a store and had them make a DVD.

They handed me a DVD-R Fuji disk which plays flawlessly in
several different DVD players (and computers) on which I've
tried it.

I then have tried (desperately) to copy this DVD-R using
Nero and have met with failure at every turn. No matter
what I do, it isn't readable by a DVD player even though it
appears the same. I'm using a Fuji DVD-R disk (same as was
used) and the data appears perfectly written, but it cannot
be read by a DVD player.

The disk has 3.7 gig on it
It has a folder: Video_ts
In this folder are several vts-xxx.vob files, a
video_ts.bup file, video_ts.info etc.

I've tried copying the disk (using Copy) and compilation,
and Nero says it's too large to fit on the DVD-R although
in reality, properties reveal only 3.7 gig on the source
disk.

Nero says the disk is a DVD UDF/ISO and I've tried making
several of those, both straight UDF and UDF/ISO, but
they're not readable.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Louise
Old February 24th 04, 05:36 AM
Kevin

I may be very wrong, but I was under the impression that a UDF disk will not
be read by any stand-alone DVD player. I'm pretty sure my JVC DVD player
will not read a UDF disk. It just says "no disk present" or "unable to read
disk". Can you copy the disk, burn it and then it doesn't play on your DVD
player on your TV? Or are you unable to even copy it to your hard drive?
Does disk to disk work? Unless the store made the DVD encrypted to prevent
copying, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to copy that disk to your
hard drive and then burn it to a DVD. Have you tried both DVD - R and DVD -
RW disks? I hope this was of some help. Good luck.

.. .

Old February 26th 04, 05:29 AM
Louise

In article 8b05c41c5d604df5c7b8c3452f9103f1
@news.teranews.com, says...
I may be very wrong, but I was under the impression that a UDF disk will not
be read by any stand-alone DVD player. I'm pretty sure my JVC DVD player
will not read a UDF disk. It just says "no disk present" or "unable to read
disk". Can you copy the disk, burn it and then it doesn't play on your DVD
player on your TV? Or are you unable to even copy it to your hard drive?
Does disk to disk work? Unless the store made the DVD encrypted to prevent
copying, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to copy that disk to your
hard drive and then burn it to a DVD. Have you tried both DVD - R and DVD -
RW disks? I hope this was of some help. Good luck.

"Louise" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks - I did eventually figure it out from another
newsgroup posting.

I copied it to my hard drive and then used Burn DVD and
moved the files.

The original is a -R and I used a -R.

I don't know why Nero identified it as udf, but I got it to
work.

Louise