Housings: AC Power Required ?

Old December 11th 11, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
(PeteCresswell)

Default Housings: AC Power Required ?

I know nothing, but somebody who sounds like they really know
keeps recommending housings for a proposed outdoor surfcam that
require AC power to perform their cooling/heading function.

This pretty much defeats the major advantage of POE cameras: now
we have the considerable extra expense/work of running 115-volt
AC to the camera instead of just Cat-5.

I'm guessing the heating/cooling thing extends camera life
significantly, or it wouldn't be so widespread.

Is it really a no-brainer? Or is there a place for POE-only
cameras exposed to the elements.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 11th 11, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
BluntChisel[_2_]

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
I know nothing, but somebody who sounds like they really know
keeps recommending housings for a proposed outdoor surfcam that
require AC power to perform their cooling/heading function.

This pretty much defeats the major advantage of POE cameras: now
we have the considerable extra expense/work of running 115-volt
AC to the camera instead of just Cat-5.

I'm guessing the heating/cooling thing extends camera life
significantly, or it wouldn't be so widespread.

Is it really a no-brainer? Or is there a place for POE-only
cameras exposed to the elements.
--
PeteCresswell

I built a DIY outdoor enclosure for a small webcam (a model intended for
indoor use only), in cold, wet Southwest England.

I started off with AC power in the enclosure, and the heat dissipated by the
camera's wall-wart, which I estimate was between 3 and 5 watts, was
sufficient to prevent condensation and ice formation inside the enclosure.
It got a bit hot in summer. I recently moved the wall-wart to a different
location, and just ran DC power to the camera; condensation and freezing is
now a problem, because the camera dissipates negligible heat itself.

I guess it depends on your local weather conditions, but I suspect that
active heating/cooling is required in most outdoor enclosures, and will
probably reduce the amount of maintenance required. Are there any enclosures
that can draw their heating/cooling power from POE?

Old December 11th 11, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
(PeteCresswell)

Per BluntChisel:
Are there any enclosures
that can draw their heating/cooling power from POE?

Now that you have mentioned it, I googled and they're out there.

e.g: http://tinyurl.com/7wpdh99

Next questions tb answered:

- Are they good enough at protecting the camera?

- Will my dinky little POE switch supply enough juice
or do I need to up the ante on that end?
--
PeteCresswell

Power Required for GeForce4 Ti 4200? K Nvidia Videocards 3 December 5th 06 01:33 AM
external HDD housings Lez Pawl General 8 July 22nd 06 08:03 PM
Power required for CUSL-2 with P3 KenV Asus Motherboards 2 February 3rd 06 02:53 PM
USB header housings for front panel case connectors Bob Flosse Gigabyte Motherboards 0 May 23rd 04 06:48 PM
Power Supply Required for P4 ?? Al Franz Homebuilt PC's 5 November 7th 03 11:09 PM