Liquid Cooling

Old August 18th 09, 06:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Martin Racette

Default Liquid Cooling

Hi,

I would like to know if liquid cooling is better than fan cooling and if so
which of these two kit would you use to cool an AMD Phenom II 810 or better

Kit #1 : ProWater 850i from Thermaltake
Kit #2 : BigWater 760i from Thermaltake

--
Thank You in Advance
Merci a l'avance

Martin

Old August 18th 09, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JR Weiss[_3_]

Martin Racette wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know if liquid cooling is better than fan cooling and
if so which of these two kit would you use to cool an AMD Phenom II
810 or better

Kit #1 : ProWater 850i from Thermaltake
Kit #2 : BigWater 760i from Thermaltake

Most liquid cooling kits require fans for the radiators. The
difference is in how much heat they can remove. Also, the liquid
systems may require more maintenance.

You don't need liquid cooling unless you're overclocking the CPU. Even
then, a good case and CPU cooler can work for reasonable overclocks.
Old August 18th 09, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Martin Racette

I do not overclock an the case that I am using right now is a ThermalTake
Mozart TX, it is huge and has very good ventilation

Old August 18th 09, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rarius

Martin Racette wrote:
I do not overclock an the case that I am using right now is a
ThermalTake Mozart TX, it is huge and has very good ventilation

If you don't overclock then there is no point in going to liquid cooling.

If your CPU temperature is a little high, I would suggest looking at an
after market heatsink and fan (HSF)... something like the Titan Fenrir
or the old, but still good, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

I have an Intel quad core (Q6600) overclocked by 40% on air cooling. My
CPU never gets over 55C even when loaded to 100% for hours at a time...
Of course good case airflow helps!

In general, liquid cooling is for extreme overclocking or cosmetics
only. A good HSF is a LOT cheaper and better cooling than most liquid
cooling kits anyway!

Rarius

Old August 18th 09, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JR Weiss[_3_]

Yes.

What is your CPU temp under those conditions? Which CPU?

My office is 27C now, and my Q9650 with Noctua NH-C12P cooler is
running at 46C per SpeedFan or 45-51C per CoreTemp at constant full
load on all 4 cores.

Old August 18th 09, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Martin Racette

I use an AMD Phenon II 810 and it is idling at about 40 - 43C per core

And it reach close to 55C when I use FSX for awhile

Old August 18th 09, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:25:37 +0100, Rarius wrote:

| Martin Racette wrote:
| I do not overclock an the case that I am using right now is a
| ThermalTake Mozart TX, it is huge and has very good ventilation
|
| If you don't overclock then there is no point in going to liquid cooling.
|
| If your CPU temperature is a little high, I would suggest looking at an
| after market heatsink and fan (HSF)... something like the Titan Fenrir
| or the old, but still good, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.
|
| I have an Intel quad core (Q6600) overclocked by 40% on air cooling. My
| CPU never gets over 55C even when loaded to 100% for hours at a time...
| Of course good case airflow helps!
|
| In general, liquid cooling is for extreme overclocking or cosmetics
| only. A good HSF is a LOT cheaper and better cooling than most liquid
| cooling kits anyway!
|
| Rarius

I've always been wary of liquid cooling because of Murphy's Law. If it can
spring a leak, it probably will.

Larc
Old August 19th 09, 12:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JR Weiss[_3_]

55C is not a problem; the CPU is rated to 71C. You can easily run it
for a long time at 60C without harm.

You might be able to reduce it 4-6C with a good cooler. You can google
for reviews and comparisons of various models. I did that several
months ago and chose the Noctua when I bought the Q9650. My office has
been over 32C, and the CPU (same 95W TDP as your Phenom) did not go
above 63C at full load.

Old August 19th 09, 08:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NT

Martin Racette wrote:

Even if my appartment is averaging 26C with about 60% humidity

I do not overclock an the case that I am using right now is a
ThermalTake *Mozart TX, it is huge and has very good ventilation

If you don't overclock then there is no point in going to liquid
cooling.

If your CPU temperature is a little high, I would suggest looking
at an *after market heatsink and fan (HSF)... something like the
Titan Fenrir or *the old, but still good, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7
Pro.

The reasons for water cooling are to enable extreme clocking of
overheating CPUs and to achieve silent cooling. If you dont have those
requirements, water will only bring you downsides.

NT

Liquid cooling with Peltier No One Homebuilt PC's 9 February 15th 06 10:33 AM
Liquid Cooling Todd K Homebuilt PC's 1 February 1st 06 06:16 PM
Liquid cooling No One Homebuilt PC's 2 December 24th 05 03:23 AM
Liquid cooling.. the best of the best? FrobinRobin Overclocking AMD Processors 4 June 16th 04 11:33 AM
liquid cooling Arthur Hagen Overclocking 2 July 30th 03 02:50 PM