S/PDIF cable to connect to 9600GT HDMI port

Old September 19th 08, 08:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
smlunatick

Default S/PDIF cable to connect to 9600GT HDMI port

I recently replaced my video card by an eVGA 9600GT SC 512MB PCIe
card. Everything works correctly and it give great resolutions. I am
now organizing to prepare to connect this PC via a HDMI cable, with
the correct (???) DVI-D to HDMI adapter. In getting info on how to
use HDMI, I discovered that to take advantage of HD quality sound, I
can route the digital audio out from my on-board HD sound card's S/
PDIF out port to the S/PDIF HDMI 3 pin port on the video card.
However, the card was not delivered with the correct S/PDIF internal
connecting cable nor does eVGA sell these separately. In a search of
the Internet for these cables, the searches mainly return the S/PDIF
cable to connect the DVD / CD digital audio to the sound card. The
style of cables have the wrong connectors (either too large or 2 pin
and not 3 pin.)

Where can I find these required cables?
Old September 19th 08, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

smlunatick wrote:
[...]

I've never actually heard of this before until now. I think I found an
example of what you're trying to do he

http://event.asus.com/vga/manual/hdmi_spdif_cable.pdf

Now do you absolutely need to have the audio over HDMI for some purpose?
You see when you pass a signal like that, generally you want it to be
decoded by the highest quality DAC available. So you can use analog out
on a high quality soundcard, or pass it from a low quality onboard sound
out SPDIF to a receiver or speakers.

Unless the videocard mixes audio to 5.1, which I didn't know it does
now, SPDIF either passes the 5.1 AC3 signal to the receiver or you only
get stereo 2.1 out; so I don't see where combining the audio into the
HDMI cable is more useful if that's the case.

BTW, the SPDIF connector they're using looks like the old CDROM
electrical style SPDIF.
Old September 19th 08, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Beemer

"smlunatick" wrote in message
[...]

Just curious but why did you not buy a GeForce card with hdmi+dvi+s-video
output?

I assume that this card would route MB onboard AC97 at least 5 channel or
high-end audio card through its hdmi port.

regards,

Beemer

Old September 21st 08, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
smlunatick

On Sep 19, 6:00*pm, "Beemer" wrote:
[...]

I have the S-Video to Composite video cable. It is just that I can
also use a separate DVI-D to HDMI adapter. HDMI (aks DisplayPort) can
also carry HD quality signals over one cable.
Old September 21st 08, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
smlunatick

On Sep 19, 5:05*pm, deimos deimos@localhost wrote:
smlunatick wrote:
[...]

electrical style SPDIF.- Hide quoted text -

The reason is that the newer DVI-D to HDMI (aka DsiplayPort) has the
possibility of send the HD quality sound / video over one cable.
Escpeially important when you are to connect a BLU-Ray drive.