problem when archiving a commercial DVD

Old June 3rd 08, 07:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default problem when archiving a commercial DVD

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to archive a commercial DVD. I used Roxio Creator
to make a copy on a DVD R DL. I used the Copy Disk functionality, not
the Save and Burn Image functionality. Everything went fine, I did not
get an error message. However the DVD player of my PC does not play
the DVD I created.

I am guessing that this may be caused by protections on the commercial
DVD. Could it be a problem with Windows Media player? How hard is it
to archive a commercial DVD? I am surprised that there was no alert
from Roxio Creator, does that make sense? I am going to try to play
the DVD on a different DVD player.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Old June 3rd 08, 07:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Just about every commercially available DVD is copy protected, and
depending upon where you live, breaking that copy protection (even for
uses that should normally be covered under fair use, if your country's
copyright law has such concepts) may be illegal.

That said, there are tools such as DVD Decrypter that are free (if you
can find them) and can solve your problem.

William
Old June 3rd 08, 08:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

That said, there are tools such as DVD Decrypter that are free (if you
can find them) and can solve your problem.

DVDDecrypter, in conjunction with DVDShrink and RipIt4me work very
well on the majority of titles (RipIt4me has a one-click option, and
invokes the other apps to do their bits, at the same time as removing
the protection)

If you can't find them, email me (put newsgroup in the subject line to
bypass my spam filters though, if you don't mind...)
Old June 3rd 08, 08:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 11:10:43 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to archive a commercial DVD. I used Roxio Creator
to make a copy on a DVD R DL. I used the Copy Disk functionality, not
the Save and Burn Image functionality. Everything went fine, I did not
get an error message. However the DVD player of my PC does not play
the DVD I created.

I am guessing that this may be caused by protections on the commercial
DVD. Could it be a problem with Windows Media player? How hard is it
to archive a commercial DVD? I am surprised that there was no alert
from Roxio Creator, does that make sense? I am going to try to play
the DVD on a different DVD player.

I greatly appreciate your help.

I've used DVD Xcopy Platinum with good results by a company with a
name like "123 systems". It has a 1-button simple mode that works
most of the time. I don't know if the company still exists because a
court ruling stopped them from selling their product for a while.

If you can't find that program you can also use combinations of
programs. DVD Shrink, DVD Copy, and AnyDVD are some that I've used
that also work well.

Now I usually archive my DVDs to .mp4 format rather than to an actual
DVD disk, so I can have them available on my LAN on demand, or if I am
going on a trip someplace I can just drag and drop 10 or 20 movies to
my laptop to transfer overnight and they're played right from the
file, not from a DVD drive.

I use Handbrake 0.9.2 (free, Open Source) to create the .mp4 files,
and you can fine-tune to what you will be watching on. So, if you
have an iPhone, you can optimize video to run on that for example. The
latest version of Handbrake is available for the Mac OS (which is what
I use) but it appears thare is also a XP / Vista version.