1x2, HDMI or DVI devices with remote (IR ability) out there ($100?)auto res switch?

Old February 20th 08, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
markm75

Default 1x2, HDMI or DVI devices with remote (IR ability) out there ($100?)auto res switch?

I'm seeking a way to send the video from my PC to both my 24" 1920 x
1200 LCD and the 1900 x 1080 HDTV in the other room..

I have tried just using an HDMI splitter.. this didnt work so well..
the video on the pc LCD had to stay at 1900x1080, which didnt look as
good, in order for there to be any video on the HDTV.. and when i did
view the HDTV, the video overscanned the edges of the screen and had
to be manually "shrunk" up using the nvidia control panel, which didnt
save to a profile.

So i figured maybe if i use an HDMI or DVI switch, with remote control
ability.. i can just switch it when in the other room (though if
anyone is on the pc, they are out of luck)..

But i dont even know if this would automatically reduce the 1920x1200
resolution to 1900x1080 on the HDTV, through autodetection or if it
would say "signal out of range" irregardless, in which case i'm back
to square one and maybe just dropping the home theatre slash PC idea
in favor of a SageHD TV box ?

Does anyone know if this resolution adjustment happens automatically
and are there any 1x2 boxes with remote ability that area say $100 or
less..

IE: i did find this one.. buts more than i was willing to spend, as i
can get a sageHD tv box for around $200 which supposidly will pass
TrueHD audio, DVDS and blurays (?)
http://www.affordablehdtv.com/gefen-...l-p-21591.html

Thanks in advance
Old February 20th 08, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Feb 20, 8:43*pm, markm75 wrote:
[...]

TrueHD audio, DVDS and blurays (?)http://www.affordablehdtv.com/gefen-...itcher-with-di...

Thanks in advance

How udoin?....This maybe of help to you in conjuction with
splitter........worked well for me ;-)

http://www.compatible.eu/vid2vgatv-v...v-s-p-166.html

Depending where ur at, also available from www.startech.com, yankie
side..

Have HD Fun!,

ap
Old February 20th 08, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW[_5_]

You did not mention which video card make and model you are using in your
computer. It is not just any old video card that can run two monitors/TV's
at such high resolutions. That takes processing power!

--
--DaveW

Old February 21st 08, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
markm75

On Feb 20, 6:00*pm, "DaveW" wrote:
[...]

Thanks in advance- Hide quoted text -

its a geforce 8600gt
Old February 21st 08, 01:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

markm75 wrote:
[...]

This isn't exactly the same approach you had in mind, but it may offer
another solution.

Flip to page 88 here. Several modes for the dual connectors on a video
card are discussed. If you use "Dual View" mode, the two monitors can
be run at independent resolutions, and for the TV one, you may even
be able to set overscan/underscan or whatever (maybe only when using
"component" cables?). "Clone" doesn't look as useful, as it would likely
result in the same problems you have now (one monitor doesn't like the
other monitor's settings).

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/91...User_Guide.pdf

If you used "Dual View", then you'd need a way to get the application to
switch the image to one monitor or the other. Still not very convenient.
I'm not sure your average movie application would be smart enough to
make two copies of the same playback (especially as there may be only
one overlay plane on the video card, and may restrict what the application
can do). There is an alternative besides overlay (VMR?), so it may still work.

The various releases of Nvidia software have different capabilities. The
above document probably corresponds to the "Classic" control panel. The
new control panel has slowly been adding back capabilities, and may still
not offer all the same options as the old control panel did.

ATI will have similar features, only an up to date manual for it may be
harder to find. The CCC manual I've got, came from a video card manufacturer
site, and not from ATI, so ATI is pretty useless in that regard.

Paul
Old February 21st 08, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
markm75

On Feb 20, 8:40*pm, Paul wrote:
markm75 wrote:
[...]

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/91..._nView_User_Gu...

[...]

* * Paul- Hide quoted text -

Yeah.. this is my problem, as say i have my two lcds on ports 1,2 of
video card #1.. the hdtv is in the other room, on port #1 of 2 of the
second video card... there is no way, being in the other room, to
access the start menu and launch a video from that "desktop".. hence
the dilemma if not using some sort of switching.. I've also played
with the nvidia control panel and couldnt find a way to say "clone"
port #1 of video card #1 to port #1 of video card #2, i figured this
wasnt possible anyway.. If i do gaming its an issue too, as most games
launch in the primary window/display;

my current hdmi splitter doesnt fit the bill either.. as it downsizes
my lcd's max resolution to xxx X 1080 instead of 1200, and the living
room set is over the edges and always needs resized..

I was hoping they made a 1x2 switch that would fit the bill and be
under $100..

I'm guessing everyone else is getting around this by having the HTPC
in the same room as the HDTV set.. whereas I'm using mine as a
multipurpose machine...