Shutting down

Old June 19th 05, 05:07 PM
Hank

Default Shutting down

Later this year I shall be going abroad for about nine months (No I
will not be doing 9 months inside). When I go I would like to know what
is the best practice for shutting down my printer - and particularly
for the cartridges. Should I take them out or leave them in the
machine?

The printer is an HP 5552(quite new, so this situation has not arisen
before) It is set up to use black only though of course both are
loaded).

Thank you in advannce.

Hank

Old June 19th 05, 06:31 PM
Bob Headrick

"Hank" wrote in message
oups.com...
Later this year I shall be going abroad for about nine months (No I
will not be doing 9 months inside). When I go I would like to know what
is the best practice for shutting down my printer - and particularly
for the cartridges. Should I take them out or leave them in the
machine?

The printer is an HP 5552(quite new, so this situation has not arisen
before) It is set up to use black only though of course both are
loaded).

If you have a pen protector that is supplies with the #58 or #59 cartridge then
remove the black cartridge and store it in the protector with the nozzles up
(upside down). Leave the color cartridge in the printer. After powering off
the printer unplug it and leave in a cool place (away from heat vents or direct
sunlight). You may need to run a few cleaning cycles from the toolbox to
recover the cartridges after such a long time.

BTW, if you only use black you do not need to load both the black and color
cartridges; this printer will operate fine with just the black (or just the
color) cartridge installed.

Regards,

Old June 19th 05, 07:41 PM
Hank

Bob,

Thanks very much for the info. Your reply tells me all I really need to
know. I don't use a 58 so that doesn't apply and it means I haven't a
clue what a pen protector is, but there's ample there to see me right
when I go away - and when I come back.

The only problem with this excellente machine is the cost of cartridges
but that the way of the world, I'm afraid.

Thanks again and regards,