Canon i850 price update

Old June 26th 03, 05:58 PM
Charlie

Default Canon i850 price update

I purchased a Canon i850s (version sold at Sam's Club) yesterday, and
although the price on the display unit still said $136 & change, when
it scanned at the register it priced out at $118.63. I also bought a
box of Ilford "Galerie" pro paper there, and the combination works
great together.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir
If you really want to reply via email, my valid
Old June 26th 03, 07:41 PM
Ron Cohen

How much was the Ilford paper? I haven't been to my local Sam's for a week
or so. All I've seen at Sam's has been Royal Brites, a low end Jet Print,
and Kodak Ultima. None of them compare favorably to Red River or Office
Depot Premium.
--
Ron Cohen

Old June 27th 03, 04:51 AM
Ron Cohen

Red River has a wide range of papers. Check out the web site at
http://redriverpaper.com/ If the Ilford paper is any good, that's a great
price. How is it on water resistance? Office Depot and Red River are very
water resistant. Kodak and the other two disintegrate in water. OTH, I don't
think I'll be buying any more paper for a long time. Office Depot had letter
size Premium High Gloss Photo Paper on their web site for a couple of days
at $8.19 per 100 sheets. I got 16 boxes and the shipping was free and I
still have a large quantity of Red River Ultra Pro Gloss and Satin. .
--
Ron Cohen

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:41:01 -0500, "Ron Cohen"
wrote:

How much was the Ilford paper? I haven't been to my local Sam's for a

week
or so. All I've seen at Sam's has been Royal Brites, a low end Jet

Print,
and Kodak Ultima. None of them compare favorably to Red River or Office
Depot Premium.

$24 for a 100 sheet box. I also saw the Royal Brite and Kodak there.
How much is the Red River?

Old June 27th 03, 10:39 PM
Wayne

Wayne,

Maybe my setting are wrong, then, because my results are pretty bad
with HR-101. What setting are you using? I just accepted the default
settings, since there were no recommendations on the paper package
like there was for the Illford.

In the printer's driver MAIN tab, select HIGH RESOLUTION PAPER as
MEDIA TYPE and set quality to standard (or high - but you will have to
wait a bit longer for the printout).
If it doesn't help, try to buy a new pack of this paper.
And be sure that you also check NOZZLE PATTERN and do the PRINTHEAD
ALIGNMENT.

Wayne
Old June 28th 03, 10:57 AM
Wayne

Hmmm, those are EXACTLY the settings that I used, and there is
definitely too much red in the pictures. Maybe the paper has changed
because it's so old (going on 5 years since I bought that pack).

I may be able to compensate for the redness by setting colors
manually, like I do with the Illford, but in this case it would be
just trial & error, whereas with the Illford, the recommended settings
worked just fine.

I really doubt that the nozzle pattern or head alignment is out of
wack, since I just set it up two days ago, and adjusted the alignment
on setup, and I get great images on the Canon Photo Pro and Illford
papers.

BTW, a couple of posts back you mentioned that Illford paper fades
"significantly quicker" (than the 25 years expected for the Canon
Pro). Can you give me an idea what you mean by that? Do you mean the
same degree of fading after 1 year? 5 years? I can probably accept 10+
years, but I'd cringe if it's only 1 year to 5.

That's probably why you get such poor resoluts - buy a new pack.

Illford papers can last with Canon i950/i850 inks from about 3-10
years. After that peroid you may observe some fading on your
printouts.

Except using Canon PR-101, I also use (i850/i950) papers from Olympus
(Pictorico series - they are the same if not better than pr-101 - I
strongly recommend that you try those papers!) and Red River papers
(also great).

Papers I don't recommend:

- epson
- kodak
- office depot (except high gloss film)
- konica
- tdk

So, if you want hi-quality photos that will last, try Olympus
Pictorico papers and Red River papers (and of course pr-101).

Wayne