A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 12th 19, 08:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 164
Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?


I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
  #2  
Old May 12th 19, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 692
Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

On 5/13/2019 3:15 AM, Shadow wrote:

I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?


Doesn't your ISP give you one?

--
@[email protected] Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
/( _ )\ May the Force and farces be with you!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
¤£*ɶU! ¤£¶BÄF! ¤£½ä¿ú! ¤£´©¥æ! ¤£¥´¥æ! ¤£¥´§T! ¤£¦Û±þ! ¤£¨D¯«!
½Ð¦Ò¼{ºî´© (CSSA):
http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...sub_addressesa
  #3  
Old May 12th 19, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 998
Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

Shadow wrote:
I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA
[]'s


If there are any around, they're probably "End Of Line".

D-Link DSL-520B $55

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16825112008

Broadcom makes a lot of the SOC chips used in
products like that. If Broadcom no longer makes
the low end chips, then TPLink can't make cheap
modem boxes either.

Paul
  #4  
Old May 12th 19, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 164
Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

On Mon, 13 May 2019 05:35:51 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

On 5/13/2019 3:15 AM, Shadow wrote:

I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?


Doesn't your ISP give you one?


They "give" me a kit for US$ 175. This is Brazil.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
  #5  
Old May 13th 19, 12:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 164
Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

On Sun, 12 May 2019 17:50:24 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Shadow wrote:
I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA
[]'s


If there are any around, they're probably "End Of Line".

D-Link DSL-520B $55

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16825112008


(Ships from Canada, which means it's become extinct in the US. I did
see that page while I was searching)

Broadcom makes a lot of the SOC chips used in
products like that. If Broadcom no longer makes
the low end chips, then TPLink can't make cheap
modem boxes either.


TPLink Brasil no longer imports or assembles ADSL hardware.
Zero hits.

I found one offer he
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...te-thomson-_JM

Divide by 4 for price in dollars. US$ 15,00, must be old
stock. (they are unused, I wonder how long they last when not in use ?
Can the capacitors leak or dry up ?).

------------------------------------

I'll probably go with this one. Wish it didn't have antennas:

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...mbps-preto-_JM

Just over US$ 30,00. Still produced. Reliable shop.

https://www.dlink.com.br/produto/rot...dem-adsl2n300/

D-Link still makes solid hardware, right ?
[]'s




--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
  #6  
Old May 13th 19, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,228
Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

On Sun, 12 May 2019 16:15:45 -0300, Shadow wrote:

I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA


Me, too.

I've a couple new in boxes. Destined for the trash barrel.

It's the cost of business. People, some, can actually wipe their
butts with $175US here, so they'll pay that monthly for carrier fees,
apparently to turn around and tell you to your face it's good. (I was
reading one do precisely just that for a contributing writer to
ArsTechnica publications.)

Apart from the Golden Rule: He who has the Gold makes rules whatever,
it takes, the market will bear.

The subsequent marketing groan-point, last I looked, is $90 monthly
for relative trash, here today and gone tomorrow renters, and a likes,
with money but less certainty.

Certainty will get adjusted to $60 monthly for lowest of high-tier,
marketable service on WEB signal reliability.

Because it's always faster, better and newer.

(Just like everybody else, since the SIP Telcos ramroded the FTC into
placement for closer to a private domain, farther from a regulatory
nature of utilities such as electricity or water.)

No exceptions, pal. Not even big firemen with the bullhorns.

You first must prove, to government, you've a taxable income at
something below $17K/US yearly to qualify for housing project or
similar Internet Service rates of $30 monthly.

Disclaimer: All the above applies to the Urban Front, where there is,
ostensibly, at least a resemblance of a free market in competition.

Not to worry: The Few and Proud, the Controlling All Have's are now
interested in being perceived for a humanitarian front, so they say,
among such efforts as satellite providers may provide for a rest of
Have-Nots.

As for the modem, the Rule, as of course it always has been, is that
they prefer you do not -- but the $5 monthly fee, itemized in addition
-- for such a piece of crap, as is mine, as since replaced when
lightening fried their last model, six times the size of this one.

I now average about x15 faster, than my last ASDL, for twice rates,
among a highest charged in the world.
  #7  
Old May 13th 19, 01:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 998
Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

Shadow wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2019 17:50:24 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Shadow wrote:
I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA
[]'s

If there are any around, they're probably "End Of Line".

D-Link DSL-520B $55

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16825112008


(Ships from Canada, which means it's become extinct in the US. I did
see that page while I was searching)
Broadcom makes a lot of the SOC chips used in
products like that. If Broadcom no longer makes
the low end chips, then TPLink can't make cheap
modem boxes either.


TPLink Brasil no longer imports or assembles ADSL hardware.
Zero hits.

I found one offer he
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...te-thomson-_JM

Divide by 4 for price in dollars. US$ 15,00, must be old
stock. (they are unused, I wonder how long they last when not in use ?
Can the capacitors leak or dry up ?).

------------------------------------

I'll probably go with this one. Wish it didn't have antennas:

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...mbps-preto-_JM

Just over US$ 30,00. Still produced. Reliable shop.

https://www.dlink.com.br/produto/rot...dem-adsl2n300/

D-Link still makes solid hardware, right ?
[]'s


For the DSL2740e, the chipset is a RealTek product. With no visible
RAM chip. I didn't even know RealTek made such things. The RAM
complement is 16MB, the flash 2MB.

https://ryan.com.br/blogs/quicktalk/...e/&prev=search

Properly designed electrolytic caps don't dry out instantly. They're
supposed to last for 17 years, based on the quality of the bottom seal.
Electrolytic caps where the pH is wrong chemically, eat through
the metal in a couple of years. And that's the "bad" electrolyte
formula.

Paul

  #8  
Old May 13th 19, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 164
Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

On Sun, 12 May 2019 20:32:33 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Shadow wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2019 17:50:24 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Shadow wrote:
I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA
[]'s
If there are any around, they're probably "End Of Line".

D-Link DSL-520B $55

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16825112008


(Ships from Canada, which means it's become extinct in the US. I did
see that page while I was searching)
Broadcom makes a lot of the SOC chips used in
products like that. If Broadcom no longer makes
the low end chips, then TPLink can't make cheap
modem boxes either.


TPLink Brasil no longer imports or assembles ADSL hardware.
Zero hits.

I found one offer he
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...te-thomson-_JM

Divide by 4 for price in dollars. US$ 15,00, must be old
stock. (they are unused, I wonder how long they last when not in use ?
Can the capacitors leak or dry up ?).

------------------------------------

I'll probably go with this one. Wish it didn't have antennas:

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...mbps-preto-_JM

Just over US$ 30,00. Still produced. Reliable shop.

https://www.dlink.com.br/produto/rot...dem-adsl2n300/

D-Link still makes solid hardware, right ?
[]'s


For the DSL2740e, the chipset is a RealTek product. With no visible
RAM chip. I didn't even know RealTek made such things. The RAM
complement is 16MB, the flash 2MB.

https://ryan.com.br/blogs/quicktalk/...e/&prev=search

Properly designed electrolytic caps don't dry out instantly. They're
supposed to last for 17 years, based on the quality of the bottom seal.
Electrolytic caps where the pH is wrong chemically, eat through
the metal in a couple of years. And that's the "bad" electrolyte
formula.


Interesting site you found. Remove the "/&prev=search" from
your link and we discover that the default password is the MAC Address
-1
IOW
If the MAC address is BA-DB-AD-BA-DB-AD
The password would be
BADBADBADBAC

IOW wide open to any hacker.
I think that's the password to access the firmware.
Not the usual admin/admin or whatever for the user interface.

I'll buy one of the two above and test it ....
TY
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
  #9  
Old May 13th 19, 01:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yrrah[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 59
Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 27, 2019.

Shadow :

I won't be buying in the US.


Lucky you...
"Timely Trump tariffs tax tech totally: 25 per cent levy on modems,
fiber optics, networking gear, semiconductors…
It's the art of the deal, folks"
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...trump_tariffs/
;-) ;-) ;-)

Yrrah
  #10  
Old May 13th 19, 03:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 164
Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

On Mon, 13 May 2019 14:28:20 +0200, Yrrah
wrote:

Shadow :

I won't be buying in the US.


Lucky you...
"Timely Trump tariffs tax tech totally: 25 per cent levy on modems,
fiber optics, networking gear, semiconductors
It's the art of the deal, folks"
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...trump_tariffs/


I'm sure he sold his shares before making that "tough
decision".

;-) ;-) ;-)


Well, I thought, what if it was a hack and not the lightning ?
The LAN was working fine, only the internet side (last led)
was off. I had nothing to lose.
So I put the old modem back in, re-flashed with the same
firmware, imported my settings (I have them on a DVD I made 5 years
ago), and it's working 100%.
;-) ;-) ;-)

Serves me right for torrenting "sensitive" documents, I
suppose.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cheap reliable multifunction device that uses compatible cartridges JRS Printers 3 May 24th 06 11:13 PM
ADSL routers/modems and public IP addresses Eivissa General Hardware 0 March 1st 05 08:38 PM
adsl modems: pci of ethernet? teizman General Hardware 0 February 14th 04 10:48 AM
ADSL Modems..... Stephen Austin General 2 October 12th 03 07:53 PM
PCI ADSL modems Perdita X. Dream General 2 July 31st 03 02:25 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.