8KNXP f10 bios

Old April 4th 04, 05:02 AM
Bob Davis

Default 8KNXP f10 bios

The new f10 bios for the 8KNXP refers to updating the "micro code" as the
only enhancement. Does anyone know what this entails and if it is worth an
upgrade from f9?

--

To reply, nix "nix" in address.

Old April 4th 04, 07:53 AM
Tim

Haven't tried it for the simple reason "If it aint broke don't fix it".

Now this may sound lame considering there are still things that are broke,
but given it has taken so long to get from F5 to a reasonably stable F9
(really only two version since F7 and F8 were no goers) I don't consider it
worth while yet to take what I perceive to be a risk.

When they mention microcode like that wrongly or not I interpret it as
"updating a static table of information" - most likely IMHO to be prescott
related initialisation data or other minor data.

So, one day when I get utterly board, destructive, or contemptuous I may try
this bios upgrade.

- Tim

Old April 5th 04, 01:13 AM
Bob Davis

"Tim" wrote in message ...
Haven't tried it for the simple reason "If it aint broke don't fix it".

Now this may sound lame considering there are still things that are broke,
but given it has taken so long to get from F5 to a reasonably stable F9
(really only two version since F7 and F8 were no goers) I don't consider

it
worth while yet to take what I perceive to be a risk.

When they mention microcode like that wrongly or not I interpret it as
"updating a static table of information" - most likely IMHO to be prescott
related initialisation data or other minor data.

So, one day when I get utterly board, destructive, or contemptuous I may

try
this bios upgrade.

I'm on the same wavelength, but "updating micro code" sounded important, and
touched off memories of the math bug in the original Pentiums. g

Old August 11th 04, 01:28 AM
Smith

I wonder if F10 will solve the problem when SP-2 is installed, and the
computer will not power down? This is not a windows shutdown
probem, it's a power down problem because ACPI is not loaded by
default (and I don't know how to load it?). Never saw the problem
until SP-2 came along. It hangs at the black screen after windows has
shutdown...gotta hold the power button to shut 'er down. Any ideas
greatly appreciated. I was using F6, worked for me, now I'm using
F8. Anybody else with GA 8KNXP and WinXP with Service Pack 2
installed?

Old August 11th 04, 07:56 AM
Tim

Hi,

1. Disconnect internet until finished.
2. Install bios F10
3. Test bios F10
4. Have XP SP2 on CD or HDD
5. Set bios to ACPI
6. Repair install of XP
7. Reapply SP2.
8. Resume.

I suggest you move forward to bios F10 carefully. The only good bios
versions for 8KNXP rev 1.0's are F6 and F10. I won't bore you with the fine
details....

Disconnect the Internet before doing the repair and keep it disconnected
until all is reloaded with SP2 installed again so that no worms etc. leak
in.

When you do the repair of XP, your system will revert to the Service Pack
status of the XP CD you use for the repair. If the CD you use is XP
Original, or XP with SP1a slipstreamed then that is where you will be. You
may have to re-activate windows.

HTH
- Tim

Old August 11th 04, 06:36 PM
Smith

Wow, now there's a real guru! I have Rev 0, does that change
any of your tips? The thing that stumps me is how to do a
Repair install to load ACPI...I haven't seen that option. Many
thanks Tim.

Old August 12th 04, 01:08 AM
Tim

Rev 0 board? Don't know sorry.

If you install the F10 bios, load defaults and then change only what you
need to, if your board supports ACPI then it will be already configured. It
would be a diabolical error on GB's side to produce a board as recent as
this that has issues with ACPI - these were sorted in motherbaords produced
about 1998.

Did you do a fudged (IE manual correction of all that went wrong) repair
install using a disc drive from a system that predated ACPI when you set
this up? If so, that would explain it.

- Tim