2 ?s

Old July 27th 03, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus
Shap

Default 2 ?s

OK, I have an Athlon XP 1700+ Thoroughbred B, an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 2.0
and a WD 120GB Serial ATA drive. I have also purchased a number of cooling
accesories so far like the Aero 7+, Microcool North Pole and 4 case fans. I
am about to purchase my final items - memory and video card. For the memory
I am set on Corsair XMS TwinX 2700LL (2-2-2-5).

Now to the first question...

What videocard do I get?

I want an Nvidia card, and would prefer an MSI Nvidia card. I am not a PC
gamer, but do anticipate possibly playing Matrix Online next year and
Knights of the Old Republic right away. Also I want to get a card that has
128MB of DDR Memory, as that is the recommended memory size for MS Longhorn.
So with all that said, should I get the MSI GeForce FX5200 128MB, or the
GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB card? Or some other card?

Second Question...

On the jumper settings for my hard drive there is a setting that says PM2
Enabled? Does anyone know what that is?

Old July 28th 03, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus
Paul Greer

No idea what the HDD jumper is. THe Ti4200 card is faster than the 5200
non-ultra. However Longhorn is another couple of years off yet IIRC. So it
might be better to wait until nearer the time to maek sure your PC is up to
it, as I expect the requirements are likely to change around. I heard that
longhorn requires either a 3GHz processor or a DX9 card to run with decent
graphics and stuff, I dunno if it'll be required or recommended but thats
the only reason I can think of to go for the 5200 over the 4200.

"Shap" wrote in message
[...]

Old July 28th 03, 12:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus
Ben Pope

Shap wrote:

What videocard do I get?

Well I'd go Ati...

Second Question...

On the jumper settings for my hard drive there is a setting that says
PM2 Enabled? Does anyone know what that is?

OK, this link was a lot harder to get than it should have been!

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....ted=1032460759

Ben