Used to overclock, but now problems

Old March 12th 04, 12:37 PM
Rich Sias

Default Used to overclock, but now problems

I was overclocking a dual celeron 366 to 550 and sometimes more until last
summer when I had difficulty installing some software for work. I Regular
clocked it to install and run to not have any problems. Now I can't set it
back. I must have changed the numbers in my BIOS too much. So I tried the
defaults and works for 0.5 - 3 minutes then I get a page fault in WinXP and
reboot. Its a little better but not good enough.

I am running 66Mhz OK, but want to switch to 100 to 110 Mhz instead and I
can't even get the 100 to last long enough to even open anything up in
Windows. The chips are running at 2.08 volts. BIOS numbers are 3 counst for
CAS / RAS etc.

Rich Sias

Old March 12th 04, 11:34 PM
Rich Sias

"Rich Sias" wrote in message

I was overclocking a dual celeron 366 to 550 and sometimes more until

last.
..
..
..
I am running 66Mhz OK, but want to switch to 100 to 110 Mhz instead and I
can't even get the 100 to last long enough to even open anything up in
Windows. The chips are running at 2.08 volts. BIOS numbers are 3 counts

for
CAS / RAS etc.

I am running with Award BIOS for 440BX chipset. The defaults run OK with
66Mhz but not for 100 MHz. I must have had something somewhat different last
year when I could get up to 110Mhz. Although 105 was VERY stable and 110
wann't quite as good.

Rich Sias

Old March 13th 04, 02:41 AM
David Maynard

Rich Sias wrote:

I was overclocking a dual celeron 366 to 550 and sometimes more until last
summer when I had difficulty installing some software for work. I Regular
clocked it to install and run to not have any problems. Now I can't set it
back. I must have changed the numbers in my BIOS too much. So I tried the
defaults and works for 0.5 - 3 minutes then I get a page fault in WinXP and
reboot. Its a little better but not good enough.

I am running 66Mhz OK, but want to switch to 100 to 110 Mhz instead and I
can't even get the 100 to last long enough to even open anything up in
Windows. The chips are running at 2.08 volts. BIOS numbers are 3 counst for
CAS / RAS etc.

Rich Sias

Increase Vco 2.2 or 2.3.

Also check your HSFs and thermal compound. Install MBM5 and look at your
temps. Better yet, use speedfan and you can set it to throttle the HSFs
once you get it running right.

Old March 13th 04, 02:15 PM
Rich Sias

"David Maynard" wrote in message
Increase Vco 2.2 or 2.3.

Also check your HSFs and thermal compound. Install MBM5 and look at your
temps. Better yet, use speedfan and you can set it to throttle the HSFs
once you get it running right.

I did have it at 2.2 for a while during experimentation. I ran a big
personal fan pointed at the CPUs and the temp reading decreased from 86 deg
down to 67 deg. I still was having the same symtoms as before. Usually a
blue screen with error message in small white letters.... page_fault to
invalid page etc. Then a reboot autmatically. I alwsays get spontaneous
reboots with or without the blue screen messages. To go to 2.3 v, I'll need
8 more jumper plugs, I seem to be short.

What does HSF & MBM5 stand for ?

Rich Sias

PS I have 2 memories, 256Meg, 8ns 124Mhz, and 7.5ns 133Mhz. Doubt if that
were why I reboot trying to overclock to 100Mhz.

Old March 13th 04, 09:00 PM
David Maynard

Rich Sias wrote:
"David Maynard" wrote in message

Increase Vco 2.2 or 2.3.

Also check your HSFs and thermal compound. Install MBM5 and look at your
temps. Better yet, use speedfan and you can set it to throttle the HSFs
once you get it running right.

I did have it at 2.2 for a while during experimentation. I ran a big
personal fan pointed at the CPUs and the temp reading decreased from 86 deg
down to 67 deg.

Degrees of 'what'? F?

Unlikely you have CPU temps of 67F, unless you mean at pure dead idle,
or suspend, with a boffo heatsink and a dern cold room. CASE temp I
would believe.

What motherboard are you running them on and what are you measuring this
temperature with?

I still was having the same symtoms as before. Usually a
blue screen with error message in small white letters.... page_fault to
invalid page etc. Then a reboot autmatically. I alwsays get spontaneous
reboots with or without the blue screen messages.

The reason it reboots on a blue screen, and 'spontaneously', is because
you have "Automatically reboot" set in System Properties/Advanced -
Startup and Recovery options.

This, btw, is what causes the "it reboots when I try to shutdown"
symptom that occasionally crops up: There's something wrong that causes
an error during the shutdown process and 'recovery' faithfully logs it
and then reboots the machine, as it is set to do.

To go to 2.3 v, I'll need
8 more jumper plugs, I seem to be short.

What does HSF & MBM5 stand for ?

HSF - Heatsink and Fan

MBM5 - Motherboard Monitor 5

Old March 14th 04, 03:26 AM
Rich Sias

Rich Sias wrote:
"David Maynard" wrote in message

Increase Vco 2.2 or 2.3.

Also check your HSFs and thermal compound. Install MBM5 and look at your
temps. Better yet, use speedfan and you can set it to throttle the HSFs
once you get it running right.

HSF - Heatsink and Fan

MBM5 - Motherboard Monitor 5

The fans and heatsink are OK, I peeked carfully. Fan & Heatsink is
GlobalWin, fooey can't read label - its spinning while I type - duh! anyway
it is about 2" thick, just filling space between the slot1 adapter boards
for the dual socktets. MB is Shuttle HOT-649a w/ award bios, added eSupport
bios from 2/2000 last year in attempt to u/g to 1.4 PIII. Never bought
them, too much $$$.

down to 67 deg.

Degrees of 'what'? F?

Yes, and room is 62 or 61 now, its is starting to warm up again, now spring
is approaching. (unheated basement). Normally 82 but with personal 6" fan on
high blowing direct on CPUs I get 67 after 15 minutes at Idle. I d/l Prime
95 and ran some load test and it sat at 82 without the personal fan. Might
drop to 70's with the fan on.

Unlikely you have CPU temps of 67F, unless you mean at pure dead idle,
or suspend, with a boffo heatsink and a dern cold room. CASE temp I
would believe.

What motherboard are you running them on and what are you measuring this
temperature with?

Shuttle HOT649a and sensors are MB mounted and lap up the slot1 socket up to
the slot. Not real accurate on chip temp but gives something relevant, just
off by some degrees and with some delay of detection.

I still was having the same symtoms as before. Usually a
blue screen with error message in small white letters.... page_fault to
invalid page etc. Then a reboot autmatically. I alwsays get spontaneous
reboots with or without the blue screen messages.

The reason it reboots on a blue screen, and 'spontaneously', is because
you have "Automatically reboot" set in System Properties/Advanced -
Startup and Recovery options.

OK, thanks set it off for now. I will be able to copy down any that I want.

Old March 14th 04, 05:29 AM
Rich Sias

OK, now that I have played around here is what I found out. All attempting
to use 100Mhz FSB.

1. Setting RAS precharge to 2, I get --- "The procedure entry point
SameEnumerateServicesDomain could not be located in teh dynamic link
library."

2. Setting only RAS-CAS delay to 2 rather than 3. RAS prech = 3.
pnp680.sys page fault in nonpaged memory. Win not start.

3. all items left for default (3s). Black screen and nothing forever. No
errors no hits etc.

I have an extra EIDE card called SYBA containing a Silicon Image 0680 chip.
The pnp680.sys is 3/15/2002. Date on item d/l = 6/2002 probalby has copy
from march. Looks like the HDW added 2 months ago is problem. Except I added
these things then we are locked out untill later.

Rich Sias

Old March 14th 04, 08:44 AM
David Maynard

Rich Sias wrote:

"David Maynard" wrote in message

Increase Vco 2.2 or 2.3.

Also check your HSFs and thermal compound. Install MBM5 and look at your
temps. Better yet, use speedfan and you can set it to throttle the HSFs
once you get it running right.

HSF - Heatsink and Fan

MBM5 - Motherboard Monitor 5

The fans and heatsink are OK, I peeked carfully. Fan & Heatsink is
GlobalWin, fooey can't read label - its spinning while I type - duh! anyway
it is about 2" thick, just filling space between the slot1 adapter boards
for the dual socktets. MB is Shuttle HOT-649a w/ award bios, added eSupport
bios from 2/2000 last year in attempt to u/g to 1.4 PIII. Never bought
them, too much $$$.

Which one of these is it?

http://www.checkmate.gr/globalwin/cel_slot1.htm

I'm guessing the single fan job since your comment suggests 'the fan'
was spinning.

Besides the heatsink/fan capacity I was concerned about the thermal
compound between the heatsink and the processor.

[...]

Well, it's 'relevant' if you had some way of knowing what it means, but
I can assure you it isn't anywhere even close to die temp.

Overclocked Slot-1 celerons aren't easy to cool to begin with and it's
doubly hard (pardon the pun) when on a dual motherboard because of the
space and airflow limitations, plus needing to keep them under 50C (CPU
metal lid temp) or so.

Old March 14th 04, 08:53 AM
David Maynard

Rich Sias wrote:
OK, now that I have played around here is what I found out. All attempting
to use 100Mhz FSB.

1. Setting RAS precharge to 2, I get --- "The procedure entry point
SameEnumerateServicesDomain could not be located in teh dynamic link
library."

2. Setting only RAS-CAS delay to 2 rather than 3. RAS prech = 3.
pnp680.sys page fault in nonpaged memory. Win not start.

3. all items left for default (3s). Black screen and nothing forever. No
errors no hits etc.

I have an extra EIDE card called SYBA containing a Silicon Image 0680 chip.
The pnp680.sys is 3/15/2002. Date on item d/l = 6/2002 probalby has copy
from march. Looks like the HDW added 2 months ago is problem. Except I added
these things then we are locked out untill later.

Rich Sias

Well, I'd pull everything out, including the processors and memory. Pull
the heatsinks, clean everything, and reinstall with fresh thermal
compound. Then put in one processor, one memory stick (the PC133
probably), and a video card, nothing else, and work from there. Get that
stable and then add the second processor. Then the second memory stick.
Then whatever else.

You ARE setting the PCI divider to 1/3 and AGP to 2/3 when setting the
FSB to 100MHz, right?

Old March 14th 04, 06:00 PM
Rich Sias

"David Maynard" wrote in message The fans and heatsink are OK, I
peeked carfully. Fan & Heatsink is
GlobalWin, fooey can't read label - its spinning while I type - duh!

anyway
it is about 2" thick, just filling space between the slot1 adapter

boards
for the dual socktets. MB is Shuttle HOT-649a w/ award bios, added

eSupport
bios from 2/2000 last year in attempt to u/g to 1.4 PIII. Never bought
them, too much $$$.

Which one of these is it?

http://www.checkmate.gr/globalwin/cel_slot1.htm

http://www.checkmate.gr/globalwin/cel_ppga.htm I guess it might be
CPM25603-16 as both the fins are 1" and the fan is about 1" thick.

[...]

Well, I used to overclock these from 2000 until 2003 @105Mhz. I had a
critical app for work to use and install worked better at 66Mhz so I left it
there since last spring to be sure I had NO problems with it. Now that I am
unemployed I want to return to what I used to have. I just can't recall the
settings I used to have. The only change is an addition of a PCI IDE card.
See notes in following messages.

Rich Sias