GA-7ZX CPU support

Old August 6th 04, 02:17 PM
Brandon Jones

Default GA-7ZX CPU support

I upgraded from a 600 mhz Duron to a 1.4 ghz Athlon CPU, but bought one that
has a 266 FSB speed (model no. A1400AMS3C). I should have done more homework
first, but assumed that this chip would also work in my board as well as the
200 FSB one. The board is only reading it at 1050 mhz, due to the multiplier
speed. Looking at the manual though, I should be able to set the DIP switch
SW1 to run at 133 mhz instead of 100, but when I tried this, the computer
starts, then doesn't boot further. I am only running a 250 watt power
supply, so could this be the problem? Is there any way I can get the full
speed from this CPU? I suppose the only other option would be to get the 200
FSB chip. Anyone interested in swapping?

-Brandon

Old August 6th 04, 08:49 PM
GTS

Well assuming you have the GA-7ZXE ( I find no mention of just 7ZX), it runs
266FSB CPU's fine - I have one with a 2Ghz Athlon. Yes you set the 133Mhz by
jumper on the board, but you do need to set the BIOS to defaults either
before you fit the new CPU or after if you can get that far in the Boot
process. If still no joy then I would definately suspect the PSU - perhaps
you could try booting with a bare minimum hardware connected i.e. remove
power from optical drives, remove PCI cards not needed etc.

Old August 7th 04, 06:34 PM
Brandon Jones

It is just the 7ZX, with the VIA KT133 chipset. Will this board run the 266
FSB? I'll give your suggestion a try.

-Brandon

Old August 9th 04, 09:37 PM
GTS

Sorry, I have the ZXE in one of my PC's and it uses the KT133a chipset. When
I looked on the Gigabyte www site and searched products, only the ZXE is
listed so I assumed you had the same board as me. As you have the KT133
non-a chipset I have no idea if it would work :-(