LTE Elite indicator lights on "Ext Battery FastCharger/Conditioner" 196825-001 198866-001

Old December 24th 03, 12:03 PM
nemo

Default LTE Elite indicator lights on "Ext Battery FastCharger/Conditioner" 196825-001 198866-001

I have three Compaq LTE Elite CXL laptops which I use for tasks such as
WP in libraries where loss/damage to the laptop is an issue so using an
old clapped out one is an attraction. I acquired a s/h "COMPAQ CPQ
BATTERY FASTCHARGER For LTE Elite" to condition some of the 5 batteries I
have (the best runs for about 3 hours! The worst = dead) but can't find
anything on the web or in google groups etc explaining the indicator
lights meanings. Now, they should be pretty self-explanatory but there
again... Best solution is a link to the product manual but I find
nothing on compaq/HP website so next best would be a copy from elsewhere
and/or another user's idea of what the lights mean. Here's what I have
found:

PRODUCT BEHAVIOUR:
------------------
Two battery compartments each having its own set of two lights, one turns
on green, the other turns on amber. In between the two switch sets is a
push button that seems to govern both.

Guesses:

Amber = charging, green = fully charged (?)
Green = charging, amber = rundown (?)
Light off = charged, no activitity; push button to reset rundown/recharge
cycle (?)

Amber and green usually come on at same time after button pushed.
Lights eventually go off.
HOWEVER, after pushing button, other things result sometimes:

(i) no light comes on for either compartment even though batteries
installed in compartments.
(ii) green light comes on, but flashes intermittently.

PRODUCT DETAILS on the unit and from the web:

Compaq document description:
Ext Battery FastCharger/Conditioner 196825-001 198866-001

(Variously):
"COMPAQ CPQ BATTERY FASTCHARGER For LTE Elite"
"Battery Charger for LTE 198866-001-06"

On the unit:
"Compaq battery charger series 2853
Compaq series 2854 External Battery Conditioner,
assembly 196826-001, Compaq spare 198866-001"

Anyone know how to operate/what the lights mean? Wd be nice to have a
post that would hit the google groups archive for posterity given the
dearth of info on this recondite but anecdotally effective beast