Updrade PC

Old August 11th 04, 10:25 AM
Guy Smith

Default Updrade PC

I am looking into upgrading my son's PC.
How do I identify which new motherboard will fit into the existing tower
please?

Old August 11th 04, 11:28 AM
Cuzman

"Guy Smith" wrote in message
. ..

" I am looking into upgrading my son's PC. How do I identify which new
motherboard will fit into the existing tower please? "

If you download and run Everest Home Edition (
http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en ), it will give you a list of
your current hardware. If you copy and paste the results back here, you can
get all kinds of further advice.

Old August 11th 04, 08:13 PM
kony

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:25:10 +0100, "Guy Smith"
wrote:

I am looking into upgrading my son's PC.
How do I identify which new motherboard will fit into the existing tower
please?

Determine form-factor of that tower case, for example: AT, ATX,
mATX (micro ATX), are the most common.

Additionally if it's very old you would need to consider the type
of power supply, and futher it's capacity... odds are high that
it has insufficient capacity, and due to age it might not be
suitable for a system rebuild regardless of it's capacity.

If you posted concise overview of system components it might be
useful. For example:

Case- make/model, or if OEM, the model name.

motherboard - make/model

CPU - make/model/speed

The more of the above info you can provide, the easier it would
be to determine the form-factor and potential for supporting
newer parts. Also an older case may have insufficient airflow
for modern higher-heat parts, it could be necessary to modify the
case or buy a new case. If buying a new case it could be
cost-effective to buy one that included a _name-brand_ power
supply of ample capacity, which for today's typicaly system would
be about 350W, or higher for more demanding configuration like
high-end video card or a lot of hard drives.

Old August 12th 04, 12:34 PM
Guy Smith

The manufacturer is Gateway, made in 1998 and is an ATX case.
Everest report below:

EVEREST Home Edition © 2003, 2004 Lavalys, Inc.
Version EVEREST v1.10.106
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer YORKSPC (York's PC)
Generator York Smith
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2004-08-12
Time 12:18

Summary
Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
DirectX 4.08.01.0810 (DirectX 8.1)
Computer Name YORKSPC (York's PC)
User Name York Smith
Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium II, 450 MHz (4.5 x 100)
Motherboard Name Intel Warm Springs WS440BX (1 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX
System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (10/09/98)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)
Display:
Video Adapter ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X (8 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI 3D-Rage Pro
Monitor Dell D2128-TCO [21" CRT] (5511690HT9B7)
Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB 64V on Intel WS440BX
Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(r) 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive IBM-DTTA-351010 (9 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/33)
Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75AUA1 (18 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive ATAPI 40X CDROM (40x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK
Partitions:
F: (FAT32) 19075 MB (11373 MB free)
G: (FAT32) 9654 MB (2293 MB free)
Input:
Keyboard PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
Network:
Network Adapter Wireless LAN USB Adapter (192.168.0.12)
Modem HSP56 Micromodem
Peripherals:
Printer \\Frount-room-pc\EPSON Stylus COLOR 580
Printer \\frount-room-pc\Lexmark Z25-Z35
Printer Auto EPSON Stylus COLOR 580 via Edimax on FROUNT-ROOM-PC
Printer EPSON Stylus COLOR 580
USB1 Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PIIX4 - USB Host Controller
USB Device Wireless LAN USB Adapter

DMI
[ BIOS ]
BIOS Properties:
Vendor Intel Corp.
Version 4W4SB0X0.15A.0006.P04
Release Date 10/09/98
Size 512 KB
Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD
Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI, ESCD, PnP
Expansion Capabilities ISA, PCI, AGP, USB
[ System ]
System Properties:
Manufacturer Gateway
Product GP6-450
Serial Number 0001024793
Universal Unique ID 20E48BBA-DE1DB211-80008136-0CDD5B87
[ Motherboard ]
Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Product WS440BX
Version AA719570-205
Serial Number IMWS84619157
[ Chassis ]
Chassis Properties:
Manufacturer Gateway
Serial Number 0001024793
[ Memory Controller ]
Memory Controller Properties:
Error Detection Method 32-bit ECC
Error Correction Single-bit
Supported Memory Types ECC, DIMM, SDRAM
Supported Memory Voltages 3.3V
Maximum Memory Module Size 256 MB
Memory Slots 3
[ Processors / Intel Pentium(R) II Processor ]
Processor Properties:
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Version Intel Pentium(R) II Processor
External Clock 100 MHz
Maximum Clock 450 MHz
Current Clock 450 MHz
Type Central Processor
Voltage 2.0 V
Status Enabled
Upgrade Slot 1
Socket Designation J4J1, CPU
[ Caches / None ]
Cache Properties:
Type Internal
Status Enabled
Operational Mode Write-Back
Maximum Size 32 KB
Installed Size 32 KB
Supported SRAM Type Non-Burst
Current SRAM Type Non-Burst
Socket Designation None
[ Caches / None ]
Cache Properties:
Type External
Status Enabled
Operational Mode Write-Back
Maximum Size 512 KB
Installed Size 512 KB
Supported SRAM Type Synchronous, Pipeline Burst
Socket Designation None
[ Memory Modules / J6J1, Bank 0 ]
Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation J6J1, Bank 0
Type DIMM, SDRAM
Installed Size 128 MB
Enabled Size 128 MB
[ Memory Modules / J6J2, Bank 1 ]
Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation J6J2, Bank 1
Type DIMM, SDRAM
Installed Size 128 MB
Enabled Size 128 MB
[ Memory Modules / J7J1, Bank 3 ]
Memory Module Properties:
Socket Designation J7J1, Bank 3
Type DIMM, SDRAM
Installed Size Not Installed
Enabled Size Not Installed
[ Memory Devices / J6J1 ]
Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Type DRAM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 128 MB
Total Width 32-bit
Data Width 32-bit
Device Locator J6J1
Bank Locator BANK 0
[ Memory Devices / J6J2 ]
Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Type DRAM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 128 MB
Total Width 32-bit
Data Width 32-bit
Device Locator J6J2
Bank Locator BANK 1
[ Memory Devices / J7J1 ]
Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Type DRAM
Type Detail Synchronous
Device Locator J7J1
Bank Locator BANK 2
[ System Slots / ISA-1, J4A2 ]
System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation ISA-1, J4A2
Type ISA
Data Bus Width 16-bit
Length Long
[ System Slots / PCI-1, J4D2 ]
System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCI-1, J4D2
Type PCI
Usage In Use
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Long
[ System Slots / PCI-2, J4D1 ]
System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCI-2, J4D1
Type PCI
Usage Empty
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Long
[ System Slots / PCI-3, J4C1 ]
System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCI-3, J4C1
Type PCI
Usage Empty
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Long
[ System Slots / PCI-4, J4B1 ]
System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCI-4, J4B1
Type PCI
Usage Empty
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Long
[ System Slots / PCI-5, J4A1 ]
System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation PCI-5, J4A1
Type PCI
Usage Empty
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Long
[ System Slots / AGP, J4E1 ]
System Slot Properties:
Slot Designation AGP, J4E1
Type AGP 2x
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Long
[ Port Connectors / COM A ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Serial Port 16550A Compatible
Internal Reference Designator J1K1
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator COM A
External Connector Type DB-9 pin male
[ Port Connectors / COM B ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Serial Port 16550A Compatible
Internal Reference Designator J1J1
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator COM B
External Connector Type DB-9 pin male
[ Port Connectors / LPT1 ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Parallel Port ECP/EPP
Internal Reference Designator J1J2
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator LPT1
External Connector Type DB-25 pin female
[ Port Connectors / Keyboard ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Keyboard Port
Internal Reference Designator J1M1
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator Keyboard
External Connector Type PS/2
[ Port Connectors / MOUSE ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Mouse Port
Internal Reference Designator J1M1
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator MOUSE
External Connector Type PS/2
[ Port Connectors / USB0 ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type USB
Internal Reference Designator J1L1
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator USB0
External Connector Type USB
[ Port Connectors / USB1 ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type USB
Internal Reference Designator J1L1
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator USB1
External Connector Type USB
[ Port Connectors / J8K2, FLOPPY ]
Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator J8K2, FLOPPY
Internal Connector Type On-Board Floppy
External Connector Type None
[ Port Connectors / J8G1, PRI IDE ]
Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator J8G1, PRI IDE
Internal Connector Type On-Board IDE
External Connector Type None
[ Port Connectors / J7G1, SEC IDE ]
Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator J7G1, SEC IDE
Internal Connector Type On-Board IDE
External Connector Type None
[ Port Connectors / GAME ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type MIDI Port
Internal Reference Designator J1G1
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator GAME
External Connector Type DB-15 pin female
[ Port Connectors / MIC ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Reference Designator J1G1
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator MIC
External Connector Type Mini-jack (headphones)
[ Port Connectors / LINE IN ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Reference Designator J1G1
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator LINE IN
External Connector Type Mini-jack (headphones)
[ Port Connectors / LINE OUT ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Reference Designator J1G1
Internal Connector Type None
External Reference Designator LINE OUT
External Connector Type Mini-jack (headphones)
[ Port Connectors / J1F1 CD ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Reference Designator J1F1 CD
Internal Connector Type On-Board Sound Input from CD-ROM
External Connector Type None
[ Port Connectors / J1F2 Telephony, 4 pin ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Reference Designator J1F2 Telephony, 4 pin
External Connector Type None
[ Port Connectors / J2D1 AUX IN ]
Port Connector Properties:
Port Type Audio Port
Internal Reference Designator J2D1 AUX IN
External Connector Type None
[ Port Connectors / J2C1 WOL, Wake on LAN ]
Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator J2C1 WOL, Wake on LAN
External Connector Type None
[ Port Connectors / J5B1 WOR, Wake on Ring ]
Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator J5B1 WOR, Wake on Ring
External Connector Type None
[ Port Connectors / J2B1, AC97 Header ]
Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator J2B1, AC97 Header
External Connector Type None
[ Port Connectors / J7C1, Front Panel USB ]
Port Connector Properties:
Internal Reference Designator J7C1, Front Panel USB
External Connector Type None
[ On-Board Devices / ENSONIQ ]
On-Board Device Properties:
Description ENSONIQ
Type Sound

Overclock
CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium II
CPU Alias Deschutes, A80523
CPU Stepping dB0
CPUID Revision 0652h
CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 447.78 MHz
CPU Multiplier 4.5x
CPU FSB 99.51 MHz (original: 100 MHz)
Memory Bus 99.51 MHz
CPU Cache:
L1 Code Cache 16 KB
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (Built-In, Half-Speed)
Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 4W4SB0X0.15A.0006.P04.9810091114
Motherboard Name Intel Warm Springs WS440BX (1 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX
In-Order Queue Depth 4
CAS Latency (CL) 3T
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 3T
RAS Precharge (tRP) 3T
SPD Memory Modules:
Micron Tech. 16LSDT1664AG-10CD2 128 MB PC100 SDRAM (CL 3.0 @ 125 MHz) (CL
2.0 @
83 MHz)
BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 10/09/98
Video BIOS Date 98/05/25
DMI BIOS Version 4W4SB0X0.15A.0006.P04
Graphics Processor Properties:
DirectX 4.08.01.0810 (DirectX 8.1)

Power Management
Power Management Properties:
Current Power Source AC Line
Battery Status No Battery
Full Battery Lifetime Unknown
Remaining Battery Lifetime Unknown

CPU
CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium II, 450 MHz (4.5 x 100)
CPU Alias Deschutes, A80523
CPU Stepping dB0
Instruction Set x86, MMX
L1 Code Cache 16 KB
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (Built-In, Half-Speed)
CPU Physical Info:
Package Type 242 Contact SEC Cartridge
Package Size 12.82 cm x 6.28 cm x 1.64 cm
Transistors 7.5 million
Process Technology 5M, 0.25 um, CMOS
Die Size 131 / 118 mm2
Core Voltage 2.0 V
I/O Voltage 3.3 V
Typical Power 11 - 24 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 16.8 - 36.4 W (depending on clock speed)
CPU Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm
CPU Utilization:
CPU #1 100 %

Old August 12th 04, 03:45 PM
CBFalconer

Guy Smith wrote:

The manufacturer is Gateway, made in 1998 and is an ATX case.
Everest report below:

.... snip 416 lines of interminable report ...

So? What, if anything, is the question?

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old August 12th 04, 04:22 PM
Cuzman

"Guy Smith" wrote in message

" The manufacturer is Gateway, made in 1998 and is an ATX case. Everest
report below... "

Well, your main hardware components a

Motherboard: Intel WS440BX
Sound: Creative SB 64V (onboard)
Processor: Intel Pentium II 450Mhz
Memory: 256MB SDRAM
Video: ATI 3D Pro Rage 8MB AGP2x
HDD1: WDC WD200BB-75AUA1 18GB
HDD2: IBM-DTTA-351010 9GB

You've said that you wish to upgrade the motherboard (and obviously the
processor too). Any up-to-date motherboard would also require DDR RAM
instead of SDRAM, and if your son wished to play any games, then a new
graphics card would also be needed. Then, a new power supply would be
needed to power an up-to-date system, which would far surpass the power
requirements of the current system.

You can gut the current system and go for any ATX motherboard. I suspect
that the current case is lacking in case-fans though, which will be
necessary to get air through the case to cool up-to-date components. I
would also suspect that it's not worth keeping the hard drives, as they are
slow, and small in capacity.

You just have to work out how much money you have to spend, and then base
your choices from your case and copy of Windows XP Home upwards. You'll
probably have a little hassle re-activating Windows on the new hardware,
which might mean a phone call to Microsoft to confirm that you've upgraded
the system. The world is really your oyster from here on....

Old August 12th 04, 05:02 PM
JK

Made in 1998? It is ancient. Time to get a new PC.
I suggest you get one with an Athlon 64 processor.
Upgrades are reasonable for a pc that is a year or two
old. One that is around 6 years old should be replaced.

Guy Smith wrote:

The manufacturer is Gateway, made in 1998 and is an ATX case.
Everest report below:

EVEREST Home Edition © 2003, 2004 Lavalys, Inc.
Version EVEREST v1.10.106
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer YORKSPC (York's PC)
Generator York Smith
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2004-08-12
Time 12:18

Summary
Computer:

Old August 12th 04, 07:32 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:25:10 +0100, Guy Smith wrote:

I am looking into upgrading my son's PC.
How do I identify which new motherboard will fit into the existing tower
please?

You won't save any money by upgrading hardware like that, you are better
off buying a whole new system. Power supplies have changed in the last
6 years because processors require a lot more power so you can't use the
one you have. The RAM is incompatible with new CPUs so that's out. The
disk is to small, got to replace that. You could use the CDROM but it's
only worth a few dollars. A new cheap case, sans power supply, is worth
maybe $40. You can buy a whole new system for a few hundred dollars, it
will be a lot less painful, come with a modern OS, have more capabilites,
and probably cheaper.

Old August 12th 04, 11:50 PM
kony

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:34:25 +0100, "Guy Smith"
wrote:

The manufacturer is Gateway, made in 1998 and is an ATX case.
Everest report below:

AT this point, none of the components in that system are worth
keeping for next system, unless the modem is PCI instead of ISA,
then it might be worth reusing.

The power supply is electrically ATX compatible but a proprietary
form factor... it will not work in any other case due to unique
shape and mounting points.

Likewise, the case, having unique power supply mounting, will not
accept a standard ATX power supply. Further, the case has
stamped-in-metal rear motherboard I/O ports, instead of the more
common removable I/O plate. In other words, even if you modified
case to accept standard PSU (which is possible, I've done so
several times) you're still limited to old-style traditional
motherboard rear port configuration. That isn't necessarily a
problem, there ARE still boards using that configuration but the
compromise is they only have a couple of rear USB ports, the rest
being put on a dongle-bracket mount instead.

As an example, the case can be modified to accept standard PSU by
cutting out (and drilling four holes for the screws) similar to
what i've done in the follow pictures. One is a circa '97 GW
case, the other circa '98.

http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/gw_case/

However, considering that you need new power supply too and
probably don't have the templates, power supplies, or misc.
support parts lying around, the most time and cost-effective
route for a single case would be buying a new case. Antec makes
a few nice ones with 120mm fan in rear and 350W+ Antec power
supply included. Following vendor has a lot of good pictures of
their cases, but note that some of the off-brands look better in
pictures than they are in person, ideally a case should have
minimum of .8mm thick metal (1.0 mm is better, or 1.2mm for
aluminum) and good unobstructed front air intake and rear exhaust
paths. Generic power supplies included in many of them aren't
very good, 'tis better to buy without power supply if you can't
get what you want with a name-brand suppply in it, then purchase
power supply separately.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=7&DEPA=0