serial to parallel adapter

Old July 30th 03, 09:46 PM
Old guy

Default serial to parallel adapter

You may well be right. But the only 25-pin port I have is for my printer
(LPT1) (female). Is that a Parallel port? I would hope a tech guy looking
at my PC specs would know the difference.

"jona" wrote in message

"Old guy" wrote in message
W98
Have a serial modem. Problem - my serial port is bad and Dell says

repait it means a new MB. The tech guy told me to buy an adapter that

will
allow the serial modem to connect to the PC's parallel port. The local
computer store says there is no such thing.
Is there such an adapter?
Where can I get it?

Older computers had a com2 plug which has 25 pins and looks
like the male version of a parallel port. Maybe the tech guy was
refering to that ........ in which case 9 - 25 pin (or vice versa)
serial port adapters should be available in any PC shop.

Just a thought, otherwise his suggestion makes no sense.

Old July 30th 03, 10:40 PM
philo

"Old guy" wrote in message
W98
Have a serial modem. Problem - my serial port is bad and Dell says to
repait it means a new MB. The tech guy told me to buy an adapter that

will
allow the serial modem to connect to the PC's parallel port. The local
computer store says there is no such thing.
Is there such an adapter?
Where can I get it?

i don't think there is such an adaptor
but even if there was, then how would you use your printer?

first off, just check to be sure your serial port is really enabled in the
bios...
if it really is bad,
the cheapest and easiest thing would be to just install an internal modem.

if you absolutely insist on using your external modem
you could probably just add a serial card

Old July 30th 03, 11:11 PM
rcm

You probably have 9 pin serial ports. If it is really bad, disable the
serial ports it in the BIOS and get a new serial card (ISA or PCI) and it
may work. But maybe the serial modem is bad. Can you test it on another
PC. Your tech sounds inexperienced so why should you trust his diagnosis
that it is the serial port. By the way, older PCs may have 2 serial ports,
one a DB-25 (you said no already) and one a DB-9; or two DB-9s, or if you
have USB, 1 USB and 1 DB-9. These are the most common.

"jona" wrote in message

"Old guy" wrote in message
W98
Have a serial modem. Problem - my serial port is bad and Dell

says
repait it means a new MB. The tech guy told me to buy an adapter that

will
allow the serial modem to connect to the PC's parallel port. The

local
computer store says there is no such thing.
Is there such an adapter?
Where can I get it?

Older computers had a com2 plug which has 25 pins and looks
like the male version of a parallel port. Maybe the tech guy was
refering to that ........ in which case 9 - 25 pin (or vice versa)
serial port adapters should be available in any PC shop.

Just a thought, otherwise his suggestion makes no sense.

Adding ten or so serial ports? Paul Hutchings General 4 July 23rd 03 08:54 AM
Serial ATA Tim Auton General 0 July 20th 03 11:56 AM
serial ATA vs ATA133...can't decide on wich...to much unanswered questions... KILOWATT General 2 July 12th 03 10:13 AM
KVM Switch for Both PS/2 and AT Connectors Alien Zord General 5 July 9th 03 07:19 PM
serial port config for GV3000/SE? najob General 0 June 25th 03 05:44 PM