6800 ultra + 480W power supply. INSUFFICIENT

Old July 27th 04, 08:05 PM
Toby

Default 6800 ultra + 480W power supply. INSUFFICIENT

I took delivery today of a new Aopen Nvidia 6800 Ultra card. I also
installed my new Thermaltake 480W power supply into my Thermaltake 6000+
Xaser V Daimer case and tranferred my system to the new case. I also
connected the additional power lead to the 6800 ultra

Rest of system; athlon 2800+ 333FSB
512 MB corsair mem 2700
80G Maxtor HD
Abit NF7S Mainboard
Poineer DVD

Nothing overclocked,

On start-up I get a message saying that nvidia system monitor has detected
that the card is receiving insufficient power!!! and will run at a lower
speed to ensure stability.

This is very frustrating, I would have thought 480W would be more than
enough power - has anyone had similar issues?Could all the fans in the case
(5 of + PSU fan and CPU fan) cause a drain on the power??
How do I check the function of the PSU? Could it be faulty?
Does anyone own the Aopen version of the card? if so how have you found it?
I'm going to try downloading the latest drivers to see if that makes a
difference.

TIA

Toby

Old July 27th 04, 08:14 PM
Nicolai

On start-up I get a message saying that nvidia system monitor has detected
that the card is receiving insufficient power!!! and will run at a lower
speed to ensure stability.

Did u connect the power to the 2 molex? . . .

Old July 27th 04, 08:24 PM
tooly

"Nicolai" wrote in message
. ..
On start-up I get a message saying that nvidia system monitor has

detected
that the card is receiving insufficient power!!! and will run at a lower
speed to ensure stability.

Did u connect the power to the 2 molex? . . .

yea, that's what I was thinking too when I read this. Was closing my case
when I noticed that I had to make a power connection to my new nvidia
graphics card itself, something new for me [though mine is only a 5900xt].
Glad I caught it or I would have been lost for awhile. Can't imagine 480
watts not being enough (I have the same power supply btw).

Old July 27th 04, 08:54 PM
Toby

I have now connected both molex leads and given the card it own dedicated
power line from the PSU - this seems to have solved the problem - Painkiller
is running really well (kept on crashing with my old card radeon 9700 pro)
glad to to back with Nvidia (still have my Geforce 3 in my other PC and will
keep it too and sell the radeon).

Still amazed that I had the power issue at all - my next purchase will be
400Mhz memory (1Gb) and a 3200 athlon , I just hope that these won't cause
more power supply probs!!!

Anyway - thanks for your prompt responce

. ..

Old July 27th 04, 11:38 PM
PRIVATE1964

This is very frustrating, I would have thought 480W would be more than
enough power - has anyone had similar issues?

As far as I know they lowered the required wattage for the 6800 from 480 down
to 350 minimum. I would think you should have more then enough power also.
Maybe the supply is not putting out 480 watts.
Old July 28th 04, 01:14 AM
JB

Toby wrote:
I took delivery today of a new Aopen Nvidia 6800 Ultra card. I also
installed my new Thermaltake 480W power supply into my Thermaltake 6000+
Xaser V Daimer case and tranferred my system to the new case. I also
connected the additional power lead to the 6800 ultra

I'm using a 300watt supply with my BFG6800U OC (446/1.18G GPU/mem),
works fine. My card is for sale, BTW.

Jeff B

Old July 28th 04, 01:36 AM
Athura

"- Painkiller is running really well (kept on crashing with my old card
radeon 9700 pro)

Painkiller runs fine for me on my Powercolour 9700pro

Old July 28th 04, 03:05 AM
RaceFace

In the future, might I suggest to RTFM.

Maybe I was lucky, but in my eVGA 6800GT box, there was a 5"x8" card with
about a 20pt font saying "Connecting the GeForce 6800 to a Power Supply",
with 3 color pictures showing how to connect it, and a paragraph detailing
the process. I'm sure something similar was mentioned in your manual.

Old July 28th 04, 03:11 AM
Kill Bill

"Athura" wrote in message

"- Painkiller is running really well (kept on crashing with my old card
radeon 9700 pro)

Painkiller runs fine for me on my Powercolour 9700pro

Same here, there was one specific scene where it kept crashing but it was a
game thing.

Old July 28th 04, 06:04 AM
John Lewis

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:14:05 GMT, JB wrote:

Toby wrote:
I took delivery today of a new Aopen Nvidia 6800 Ultra card. I also
installed my new Thermaltake 480W power supply into my Thermaltake 6000+
Xaser V Daimer case and tranferred my system to the new case. I also
connected the additional power lead to the 6800 ultra

I'm using a 300watt supply with my BFG6800U OC (446/1.18G GPU/mem),
works fine. My card is for sale, BTW.

If you are having any driver issues, 61.77 was released today.

John Lewis

Jeff B

burning smell from Ultra 500w XConnect power supply? Phil Tomaskovic General 11 June 12th 05 05:26 PM
Really low 1000-1100 RPM reading on Power Supply Fan Hupjack Homebuilt PC's 6 April 25th 04 09:49 AM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 10:42 PM
Won't Power Up after Power Outage Greg Lovern Homebuilt PC's 7 February 8th 04 01:47 PM
will a cheap PSU (antec) kill P4S800 ? nerdb0t Asus Motherboards 7 October 23rd 03 11:37 PM