Radeon 9800 (non-pro) vs. 9600-Pro vs. FX5600-Pro

Old August 14th 03, 01:54 PM
Davek

Default Radeon 9800 (non-pro) vs. 9600-Pro vs. FX5600-Pro

I'm getting ready to buy a new video card. I can't afford a
top-of-the-line card like the 9800 Pro or GeForceFX 5900.
I'm trying to make sure I get the most card for my money. I
want to be able to use this for gaming in addition to the
"regular" things.

1. Is the Radeon 9800 non-pro significantly better than the
9600 Pro for gaming?

2. Is the Radeon 9800 non-pro significantly better than the
GeForceFX 5600 Pro for gaming?

If I buy the 9800 non-pro I'm going a bit over budget, but
that's o.k. if it is a decent bump in performance for gaming
(over the 9600-Pro and the 5600-Pro cards).

TIA
- Dave Kistner

Old August 14th 03, 03:51 PM
John Hall

I just bought a 9800 non pro because I didn't like the reviews for the
FX5600 or the 9600. They are mid line video cards, but they seem to be
dumbed down a lot compared to the top of the line cards from Nvidia and ATI.
The only difference between a 9800 and the pro version seems to be clock
speed. You get everything else including the latest DirectX 9 capability.
So I went a bit over budget to make my upgrade from a Geforce 3 classic a
significant one. Right now I'm very happy with the choice I made. In
Canada it's 200 bucks cheaper than the pro version which I think is a hell
of a deal.

JK

Old August 14th 03, 11:00 PM
Larc

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:20:47 GMT, Ancra pondered exceedingly, then took quill in
hand and carefully composed...

| On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:13:31 -0400, "Matt M"
| wrote:
|
| And from what I've read, it's easily overclocked to the Pro specs.
|
| - I don't think you need to. :-)
|
| What seems to be the cost of this card now?

$254 including shipping from Newegg. The 128MB Pro averages a good $100 more.

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old August 19th 03, 10:37 PM
John Hall

I bought mine at a local retailer not a big box store. Check out some of
your local neighbourhood PC guys. The 9800 np is a new product and has just
been released.

JK

"Shawn" wrote in message ...
I'm in BC here. Where did you get the 9800np from?

And does anyone have any comparative reviews?

Old August 21st 03, 03:58 PM
Shane Evans

I paid £117.50 for a Tyan Tachyon Radeon G9600PRO 8xAGP 128MB DDR
VGA/DVI/S-Video/Hardware Monitoring Retail Box
goes like stink wiped the floor with my freinds fx5800
"Davek" wrote in message
I found mine at Newegg for $249:

ATI OEM SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 128MB Non Pro DVI/TV 8X AGP BULK
Specifications:
Chipset:ATI RADEON 9800
Memory:128 MB DDR RAM
Bus: AGP 8X
New SMARTSHADER™ 2.1 technology allows users to experience
complex, movie-quality effects in next-generation 3D games
and applications
SMOOTHVISION™ 2.1 technology enhances image quality by
removing jagged edges and bringing out fine texture detail,
without compromising performance
Ports:VGA + DVI + S-Video Out
OEM Box (See pics for details) Model#: RADEON 9800 128

John Hall wrote:

I just bought a 9800 non pro because I didn't like the reviews for the
FX5600 or the 9600. They are mid line video cards, but they seem to be
dumbed down a lot compared to the top of the line cards from Nvidia and

ATI.
The only difference between a 9800 and the pro version seems to be clock
speed. You get everything else including the latest DirectX 9

capability.
So I went a bit over budget to make my upgrade from a Geforce 3 classic

significant one. Right now I'm very happy with the choice I made. In
Canada it's 200 bucks cheaper than the pro version which I think is a

hell
of a deal.

JK

.. .