UDMA compatibility - UDMA 2 v UDMA 33

Old July 11th 03, 06:14 PM
Aaron Gray

Default UDMA compatibility - UDMA 2 v UDMA 33

Hi,

Will UDMA 2 Drives work on an old UDMA 33 Motherboard ?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Old July 11th 03, 06:58 PM
kony

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:14:48 +0100, "Aaron Gray"
wrote:

Hi,

Will UDMA 2 Drives work on an old UDMA 33 Motherboard ?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

I think your terms are a bit mixed up...

UDMA2 is ATA33, which i assume you mean when writing "UDMA33". So
yes, it'll work, providing other aspects of compatibility are in
place, like BIOS support of the HDD capacity. Many old ATA33
motherboards had capacity limits around 8 or 32MB, at least until
their BIOS was updated.

Dave
Old July 11th 03, 07:13 PM
Aaron Gray

Will UDMA 2 Drives work on an old UDMA 33 Motherboard ?

I think your terms are a bit mixed up...

UDMA2 is ATA33, which i assume you mean when writing "UDMA33". So
yes, it'll work, providing other aspects of compatibility are in
place, like BIOS support of the HDD capacity. Many old ATA33
motherboards had capacity limits around 8 or 32MB, at least until
their BIOS was updated.

Right. I have a new modern 80GB drive that I thought was UDMA 2 but
obviously not. It is acctually ATA100 which presumably does not work on an
old UDM33 motherboard. Is this correct ?

Aaron

Old July 11th 03, 07:29 PM
Groove

Aaron Gray said this...
Right. I have a new modern 80GB drive that I thought was UDMA 2 but
obviously not. It is acctually ATA100 which presumably does not work on an
old UDM33 motherboard. Is this correct ?

The drive should step itself down automatically to run at the slower rate.

--
º~ dªv¡d ~º
Old July 11th 03, 08:11 PM
kony

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:13:22 +0100, "Aaron Gray"
wrote:

Will UDMA 2 Drives work on an old UDMA 33 Motherboard ?

I think your terms are a bit mixed up...

UDMA2 is ATA33, which i assume you mean when writing "UDMA33". So
yes, it'll work, providing other aspects of compatibility are in
place, like BIOS support of the HDD capacity. Many old ATA33
motherboards had capacity limits around 8 or 32MB, at least until
their BIOS was updated.

Right. I have a new modern 80GB drive that I thought was UDMA 2 but
obviously not. It is acctually ATA100 which presumably does not work on an
old UDM33 motherboard. Is this correct ?

Aaron

It'll work, at UDMA2/ATA33 speed, providing the motherboard bios
supports the size of the drive. If it doens't you might check on a
BIOS update, or install a PCI IDE controller card. You could instead
use a DDO (Dynamic Drive Overlay) as would be suggested by the
manufacturer's installation/setup disc, but that's the least
desireable option.

Dave
Old July 11th 03, 09:06 PM
Aaron Gray

wrote:

[...]

Okay, hopefully it is the BIOS, both the setup and the startup "parameter"
pane halt when printing the drive details, and hang the machine, so a DDO
will not work.

New motherboard seems to be the answer ( for speed and time reasons

Aaron

Aaron

..

Old July 13th 03, 06:50 AM
Wayne Morgan

Read the information that came with the drive or go to the manufacturer's web site to get
it. Most of the large drives will accept 2 jumpers, Master/Slave/Cable Select as usual and
one other for BIOSs that lock-up when they see that large of a drive. The 2nd jumper
basically tells the drive to lie to the BIOS about its size so that it will run long
enough to let you install the overlay software. However, for $30 or less, I would
recommend getting an add-in IDE card that will give you the BIOS support for the drive and
the ATA100 performance.

--
Wayne Morgan

.