P4PE front case audio conection

Old October 18th 03, 08:04 PM
Jim in Canada

Default P4PE front case audio conection

Hi guys.

I just stuffed all my P4PE paraphernalia into an Antec Overture desktop
case.
Looks great in the entertainment unit!

I hooked up the front audio hookups, and the first time I plugged in a set
of headphones, the system shut down.

After restarting, everything seems fine (?). Will it do this intermittingly
or was the P4PE just reconfiguring itself.

Old October 19th 03, 05:16 AM
Paul

In article 29gkb.121260$9l5.115351@pd7tw2no, "Jim in Canada"
wrote:

Hi guys.

I just stuffed all my P4PE paraphernalia into an Antec Overture desktop
case.
Looks great in the entertainment unit!

I hooked up the front audio hookups, and the first time I plugged in a set
of headphones, the system shut down.

After restarting, everything seems fine (?). Will it do this intermittingly
or was the P4PE just reconfiguring itself.

That doesn't sound good. Perhaps something is getting shorted ?
The only dangerous pin is the filtered +5VA on the 2x5 connector.
But it is hard to see a mechanism where the headphone jack could
do anything to the system. If there was going to be trouble, the
trouble should appear even before the headphone plug is inserted.

Even if the 2x5 was rotated, that would only result in +5VA going
to the reserved (and unused) headphone amplifier control pin called
HP_ON.

http://www.formfactors.org/developer..._guideline.pdf (pg.19)

While the AD1980 has some jack sensing functions, I doubt they
are intended to cause the system to reboot. Check the Event Log
and see if there is an error recorded against an audio driver,
in which case your theory is correct, but only because a bug
in the audio driver is causing the reboot.

If it is an audio driver issue, you should be able to reproduce the
symptoms, by putting the two jumpers back on the FP_AUDIO header,
and then do the headphone test using the audio connector on the
back of your case. If the system reboots, that would lend credit
to a jack sense/audio driver issue.

I would say you have some serious ohmmeter work to do. The case
manufacturers strike again :-(

Paul

Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
P4C800 Deluxe Rear audio problems when enabling the front panel audio Bernd Stoeckl Asus Motherboards 2 October 15th 03 03:31 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
P4P800 Delux & Antec Sonata case - USB 2.0 & 1394 to front panel? online Asus Motherboards 2 July 10th 03 04:35 AM