WMA to WAV - arrghhh

Old January 31st 04, 11:47 PM
Bill L

Default WMA to WAV - arrghhh

Hello all

Ok so I've subscribed to the Coke music.com site and saved some songs. I
also downloaded Acoustica mp3 to wave converter (which also claims to be
able to convert WMA files to wav files)
However when I try and convert WMA to WAV I receive the error below :-

'C:\Documents and Settings\Bill Larcombe\My Documents\My
Music\Starsailor\Silence Is Easy\01 Music Was Saved.wma' may have anti-copy
Digital Rights Management (DRM) system embedded in it and, thus, cannot be
converted. Alternatively, it could be a corrupted file. (You just gotta
laugh...PS: This silly dialog just might be eligible for the backspace of PC
Magazine!)

Now I'd really like to be able to burn WAV files to CD after converting them
from WMA. Is there a proggie that makes this possible even with DRM??

I really wish I'd downloaded the trial version of Acoustica first! (

TIA

BillL

Old February 1st 04, 12:24 AM
Theo

"Bill L" wrote in
:

Now I'd really like to be able to burn WAV files to CD after
converting them from WMA. Is there a proggie that makes this possible
even with DRM??

There are programs that will record the audio as it plays and save it as a
wav. Winamp comes to mind. Just remember that this must be done in realtime
so 15 minutes of audio will take 15 minutes. Also, dont do anything else at
the same time as all audio will be saved (I think), including system beeps
and such.

Its sorta similar to copying onto tape, but its all in the computer.
Old February 1st 04, 12:32 AM
Bill L

"Theo" wrote in message
"Bill L" wrote in
:

Now I'd really like to be able to burn WAV files to CD after
converting them from WMA. Is there a proggie that makes this possible
even with DRM??

There are programs that will record the audio as it plays and save it as a
wav. Winamp comes to mind. Just remember that this must be done in

realtime
so 15 minutes of audio will take 15 minutes. Also, dont do anything else

at
the same time as all audio will be saved (I think), including system beeps
and such.

Its sorta similar to copying onto tape, but its all in the computer.

Thanks Theo but it appears that MusicMatch will burn the tracks onto a CD-R
and allow me to play the CD on a stand-alone player (unless my NAD C251 has
suddenly learnt how to play WMA discs ;o).

I still can't convert to WAV (e.g. I can't use NERO) but at least I can burn
CD's from WMA music downloads at 48X which is something I didn't think I'd
be able to do.

Still a bit peeved about spending some money on SW (Acoustica) which claims
to be able to something it can't (i.e. convert WMA to WAV). Ho hum ...

Cheers

BillL

Old February 1st 04, 03:18 PM
Dave Cohen

You could try dbpoweramp utilities, they are free. I believe you may need
latest media player or some special file for the .wma stuff (still free). To
record anything going thru' your sound card, I use total recorder, but it
does cost (not much). I use that to record from line in or sound playing
over the internet.
Dave Cohen

"Bill L" wrote in message
news

"Theo" wrote in message
"Bill L" wrote in
:

Old February 1st 04, 03:23 PM
Andrew Rossmann

[This followup was posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article , billc1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...
Thanks Theo but it appears that MusicMatch will burn the tracks onto a CD-R
and allow me to play the CD on a stand-alone player (unless my NAD C251 has
suddenly learnt how to play WMA discs ;o).

I still can't convert to WAV (e.g. I can't use NERO) but at least I can burn
CD's from WMA music downloads at 48X which is something I didn't think I'd
be able to do.

Since you can burn to an audio CD, you should be able to reverse things
and rip the audio back off the CD as a WAV. It'll be higher quality than
the other method, which involves going analog and back.

Still a bit peeved about spending some money on SW (Acoustica) which claims
to be able to something it can't (i.e. convert WMA to WAV). Ho hum ...

Technically, it probably can. Not all WMA's are copy protected.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Old February 1st 04, 04:22 PM
normanstrong

"Bill L" wrote in message
Hello all

Ok so I've subscribed to the Coke music.com site and saved some

songs. I
also downloaded Acoustica mp3 to wave converter (which also claims

to be
able to convert WMA files to wav files)
However when I try and convert WMA to WAV I receive the error below

:-

'C:\Documents and Settings\Bill Larcombe\My Documents\My
Music\Starsailor\Silence Is Easy\01 Music Was Saved.wma' may have

anti-copy
Digital Rights Management (DRM) system embedded in it and, thus,

cannot be
converted. Alternatively, it could be a corrupted file. (You just

gotta
laugh...PS: This silly dialog just might be eligible for the

backspace of PC
Magazine!)

Now I'd really like to be able to burn WAV files to CD after

converting them
from WMA. Is there a proggie that makes this possible even with

DRM??

I ran into that problem some time ago. I bought an Apex DVD player
that plays CDR encoded with WMA files. It cost me $30 on sale at
Sears. So I got a WMA player as well as a spare DVD player for my
money.

Norm Strong