System tests utility in ECDC...what's the usefulness of it if the results are never the same?

Old October 2nd 03, 03:52 AM
KILOWATT

Default System tests utility in ECDC...what's the usefulness of it if the results are never the same?

Hi! Thanks for your attention.I'm using the cd copier portion of ECDC (began with version 4.02d and
now since summer 2002 using 5.1) since almost three years to make backup copies of all my disks
successfully, and i keep them somewhere else than at home just in the case of fire,theft...etc...
Since two weeks, i have a new machine i've built (ASUS p4p800-vm, Celeron 1700Mhz, 256Mb DDR 400Mhz,
Win98SE) because the other machine (IBM Aptiva, AMD K6-2 400MHz, 256MB pc100, Win98 1st edition) had
a big stability problem due to a slowly dying motherboard. I then built this new machine in a new
standard ATX case with a decent Antec 350Watts power supply, bought the p4p800-vm mobo with a
Celeron CPU, and reused the same drives that were in the Aptiva: Maxtor Diamond Max plus9 80GB
7200rpm HDD(primary master), LG gcr-8523b 52x cd-rom drive(primary slave), Sony crx-140E 8x-4x-32x
cd-rw drive(secondary master). Now to go finally to the point, i can't copy anymore a disk from the
cd-rom drive toward the cd-rw drive(on the fly copying),a thing i could do without any problems with
the old IBM Aptiva. The program simply freezes at a random time and the drives stops spinning. On
the interface, i can see 1% left from buffer so i suspect that the cd-rom dive can't send data fast
enough towards the cd-rw drive, a thing i find surprising (copying from the HDD is not a problem,
the buffer always stay in the 100% range,then). Since the first coaster a few days ago, i'm now
only doing write tests (without actually burning anything on the CD) that fails most of the time.

During the unsuccessful test, i can see that the buffer percentage never sticks to 100% but tends to
drop most of the time in the 80~85% range, 'till the data stream is probably slowed enough to cause
a buffer underrun situation. If i lower the write speed from 8x to 4x, then 3 out of 5 write tests
are successful, but this situation is still unreliable. Any idea where to troubleshoot? By looking
in ECDC's System Tests results i can see that the cd-rom drive is "supposed" to read data faster
than the selected 8x write speed of the cd-rw drive: small files= 9x, large files= 15x, read
speed=17x. I did another system test for the data read speed of the cd-rom drive and guess what? The
results displayed aren't the same at all than those displayed before the test! This pushed me to do
further testing with four different data CDs. It took some time, but it was interesting to see how
much the results may vary with each data CDs.
For example with the CD#1 i had: small files= 9x, large files= 15x, read speed=17x
with CD#2= small files= 8x, large files= 16x, read speed=18x
with CD#3= small files= 6x, large files= 33x, read speed=20x
withCD#4= small files= 3x, large files= 21x, read speed=17x
If the results vary so much depending on wich CD used for that test, what's exactly the usefulness
of the System Tests utility,then? Another thing that i can't understand is why a 52x max speed
cd-rom drive can have a read speed reported so low as 17 or 20x? And to complete this post, besides
when copying on the fly from a cd-rom drive to a cd writer (a thing that missed me suddenly!), do
you know under wich circumstances those tests results are used by ECDC?
TIA for any reply and your time to read this.

--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

Old October 2nd 03, 11:33 PM
smh

.. ---------------------------------
cRoxio / Acraptec

Trashy company that picks Trashes
as its beta testers
---------------------------------

======================================
From: Jeff
Subject: ECDC 4.01 Update is here
Date: 11/25/99

smh wrote:

Adrian Miller (Acraptec) wrote:

Fixes
Recorder test for the CD recorder: Has been removed in version 4.01.

Is the infamous "0.9x" DAE problem fixed?

The speed test on writers has been resolved in this update, but it does not
address the speed tests for readers. This problem is being worked on at this
time.

Adaptec's definition of "fix": sweeping bugs under the carpet.

HAHAHA This is funny!

"The speed test on writers has been resolved in this update"

They removed it!! That was their fix!

I fixed the 0.9x DAE problem also, I removed 4.0 from my computer!!!
HAHAHAHAHAH
======================================

Old October 3rd 03, 01:05 AM
smh

.. ---------------------------------

============================
From: Deirdre' Straughan (cRoxio)
Subject: How in the hell can you sleep at night???????????
Date: 5/21/01

TommyDale wrote:

and would lock up when performing the speed test, which was
eventually dropped from ECDC rather than fix it.

Ah, yes, the speed test in 4.0... well, we took it out!
============================

Old October 3rd 03, 05:26 AM
KILOWATT

Hi everyones. Happy ending! Here's some copies from the posts i've sent last night and tonight in
the Roxio's
support forum with what i've done:

---------------------1st post:--------------------
Hi Brendon! Thanks a lot for your reply. Now after reading your post, if i understand right, ECDC
can only determine the read speed of a drive by those system tests. So if i had different results
with the four CDs i've used, i think for a safety margin that the best is to do a final test with
the CD that gave the worst results so ECDC won't keep in it's registry entries that my drive is
"fast" when it's not always the case wich each CD to be copied...am i right?

Have you installed the proper motherboard drivers for your new machine?

Yes, all the chipset drivers and those for the onboard lan-video-audio are installed and figure
properly in the device manager. I've read a few things on some web pages tonight about setting the
supplemental cache size (system propertiesperformancefile systemCD-ROM). Tried different settings
for that, and even the read-ahead optimization. After a reboot and some tests, i noticed that this
didn't changed anything when using those four same CD than yesterday.Read speed was not better at
all in the system test results! Frustrated, i went out for a bike ride just to calm down a little!
A few minutes ago just before replying to your post, i went back in the system properties to put the
settings in the position they were. At the same time, i flashed on the "hard disk settings"
section:"typical role for this computer:". I was set to "Desktop computer" but remembered that a
little more than two years ago on my IBM Aptiva this setting was changed by me to "Network server"
based on the recomendations of Fred Langa, a technical writer from who i receive a newsletter twice
a week.The computer was a little less slugish thereafter, but honestly i don't know if it helped at
all or not for CD copying since i started using ECDC after i've changed this setting.

I've now set back the setting to "Network server" and rebooted. Did another system test and the
results are better...promising? I don't know for now.

In my 1st post, with the CD that contains the driver and programs for my flatbed scanner (CD#2) i
had for results: small files= 8x, large files= 16x, read speed=18x Now the results a
small files= 11x, large files=26x, read speed=22x My bedtime was 3 hours ago so the real tests will
wait 'till tomorrow evening. Keep up the good work here "Super Contributor" ! I'll keep in touch.

----------------2nd post:-------------------------
Ok...never thought that i would be able to sat that, but...problem solved! Seems that setting the
computer to "network server" did it, even if i was not very optimistic. Did some real copies tonight
(not write test) at 8x and the buffer indicator stayed most of the time at 100%, with some minor
drops to 90% occasionally but the cd-rom drive never failed to fill back the cd-rw drive's buffer.
Tested the backup copies thereafter by copying the CD's contents to the hard drive and all the files
copied properly and are all accessible.
Alain(alias: Kilowatts)

Old October 3rd 03, 07:50 AM
smh

Do you think System Tests should give different results depending on the
role of the computer?

(Could you set the word wrap at 72 or 76 cols? Thank you.)

Old October 3rd 03, 08:06 AM
smh

.. ---------------------------------------------------------
Roxio, What a Joke (FRAUD) - "0.9x" DAE Speed Bug Returns

cRoxio, what's the excuse now? Was it Microsoft, El Nino or God?

From: smh
Subject: TEAC W552E EZCD6
Date: 5/4/03

Are there any reported issues with the above ?
I'm having bad audio extraction rates (i.e. x1) reported.

Don't tell me the infamous "0.9x" DAE Speed bug returned!

============================
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)
============================

Easy Coaster Creator 4.0 was released with the following bug:

Major bugs fixed in 4.02 (in 3/00, 7 months after its release):

System Tests for Digital Audio Extraction. Copying audio tracks from
CD to hard disk or CD-R gave much slower results in version 4 than
version 3.x for some CD-ROM drives, so with some systems it was
impossible to copy audio tracks directly from CD to CD-R.

[ In plain language, the System Tests gives "0.9x" as the DAE speed
of most, if not all, CD drives. (Acraptec tacitly acknowledged
that ALL IDE CD drives were affected by the bug.) ]

The reason why Ezcd 4.0 was released with such a bug is this:
=======================
From: Adrian Miller (Acraptec)
Subject: Acraptec Gibberish 101 and === More LIES ===
Date: 4/7/00

The DAE issue did not show up until after shipping of 4.00.
During beta testing all the testers reported DAE speeds in 4.00
similar to what they got in 3.5c.
======================

The beta testers did not discover the bug despite having a "significant"
beta program:
======================
From: Mike Richter
Subject: EZ Creator 4. 0 - True it has MAJOR bugs ?
Date: 9/2/99

They had a significant beta program ...
=====================

Imagine having a "significant" beta program, yet cannot even find an
'impossible not to detect' bug!

[ See the end why it's an 'impossible not to detect' bug.]

Mikey Richter's weasel excuses why beta test did not find the bug a

======================
From: Mike Richter
Subject: ****ty Beta Testing at Roxio-Adaptec
Date: 4/6/02

What is the point of beta testing at all
if you do not use representative sample of burners in use.

Not all beta testers use Plextors or SCSI, but while I was testing
for them, many of us did. In general, beta test is for functionality
rather than diversity - that is, the company wants competence in
determining and reporting performance, not variety of hardware.
Hardware testing requires many drives, firmware versions,
motherboards and so on. It is generally done by the manufacturer
(alpha level) because they have the hardware.

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Date: 4/7/02

... beta testing is used to find hw
incompatibilities as well. It just strikes me as odd that a
significant problem with ide dae could get pass any
reasonably diligent testing program.

Beta testing finds whatever the testers turn up. Given the variety of
hardware on which CD recording depends, that means that compatibility
per se is examined at alpha or through public beta. AFAIK, neither
Adaptec in the past nor Roxio more recently has ever conducted a
public beta. With a manageable base of external testers, there's
little hope of turning up hardware incompatibilities so the
publisher does whatever it manages at the alpha level.
======================

What a weasel mumbo jumbo Mikey spins!

The fact is one beta tester, GMAN, was using a cd-rom that a user
reported getting the "0.9x" DAE:

======================
From: (GMAN)

i have been using a Panasonic 24x scsi drive...
[ I had approx 8x DAE ]

======================
From: jerry r

EZ creator 4 tests show my [Panasonic] CDr508 [24x] scsi drive
at .9x for DAE.
======================

( Is it possible the same drive gets "0.9x" on one system while
it gets "8x" on another system? See: "GMAN is a LIAR" )

Regardless whether beta test is only for functionality and not for
hardware incompatibility, this bug is 'impossible' to miss:

=======================
From: Adrian Miller (Acraptec)
Subject: smh is wasting bandwidth again
Date: 4/14/00

the program insists that [System] tests are run on drives
when it is first run...
=======================

System Tests has to be run when Ezcd is first used! That is, hardware
testing is forced.

Mikey Richter's weasel excuse that beta testing did not find the
"impossible not to detect" bug because beta testing is not for hardware
incompatibility is an unadulterated, unmitigated LIE (FRAUD).

----------------------------
Mikey, you are a Lying Scum!
----------------------------

Old October 3rd 03, 10:17 PM
KILOWATT

Do you think System Tests should give different results depending on the
role of the computer?

I don't think so...i don't even know why it solved the problem. But with
computers, i preffer to ask myself why a thing didn't worked than why
it did! ;-) I acknowledge that many users do have trouble with ECDC.
I don't know if it's the hardware and/or software combination that cause the
trouble...but i do know a lot of people that switched to other writing programs.

Old October 3rd 03, 11:16 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

KILOWATT wrote:

Do you think System Tests should give different results depending on the
role of the computer?

I don't think so...i don't even know why it solved the problem. But with
computers, i preffer to ask myself why a thing didn't worked than why
it did! ;-) I acknowledge that many users do have trouble with ECDC.
I don't know if it's the hardware and/or software combination that cause the
trouble...but i do know a lot of people that switched to other writing programs.

(Thanks for changing the word wrap to 80, even though 72/76 is better.)

Your test results vary wildly even within a role of the computer. For
small files, it varied from 3x(#4) to 9x(#1). For large files, it
varied from 15x(#1) to 33x(#3). Why so wildly different numbers?

Could you run System Tests' DAE speed test for both cd-rom and the
burner?

If you are eligible for upgrades, upgrade to the latest Easy CD Mangler:
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc...pdatesv5.jhtml

(If you do upgrade, could you run the DAE Speed test with the upgrade?)

(Suggest to defrag your hard drive if you haven't done so lately.)
Old October 3rd 03, 11:53 PM
Tim Kroesen

Usenet Abuse - Continuing Stalking, Harassment, Libel and SPAMMING via
repetitive posting of the same material Thousands of times.

;

Additional references to portals that have recently banned this
psychotic for Stalking, Harassment and SPAM should you require
additional
information.

From: smh
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr