Get the Serial Number with Visual Basic

Old November 14th 03, 05:10 PM
R. L'abee

"Michael Wittmann" wrote in message t...
Hi folks,

I have to write a Visual Basic 6.0 Program and need to uniquely identify a
computer in a network and the user mustn't be able to change that id while my
program is running. So the Volume Serial Number of the HDD isn't a possibility,
because you can set the Volume SN whatever you want and therefore it's not
unique in a Network. I heard that there's a manufacturer's Serial Number on the
HDD that can't be changed and that is unique (worldwide?). How can I get that SN
with VB6? Or do you have any other ideas? Like a BIOS SN?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Michael
PS: Answer in German is ok.

Here's a way to get the BiosID:

Look here for more info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...win32_bios.asp

Private Declare Function GetComputerName Lib "kernel32" Alias
"GetComputerNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long

Public Function GetBiosVersion() As String
Dim strComputerName As String
Dim objWMIService
Dim colItems
Dim objItem

On Local Error Resume Next

strComputerName = Space(255)
GetComputerName strComputerName, 255
strComputerName = Left(strComputerName, InStr(1, strComputerName,
Chr(0)) - 1)

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputerName)
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_BIOS
", , 48)
For Each objItem In colItems
GetBiosVersion = objItem.SerialNumber
Next
End Function

Reinier
Old November 14th 03, 08:48 PM
Michael Stum

@drian schrieb:

"Michael Stum" wrote
It can be changed by the User easily and is therefore neither Unique nor
secure.

The MAC address? The MAC address is a fixed, unique number embedded in the
NIC. So how do you change the MAC on your NIC card? I'm interested.

Under Linux I would issue:
"ifconfig eth0 hw ether 01:23:45:67:89:AB"
under Windows there are several Tools available. The MAC is still
unchanged in the Card itself, but no application can read that adress
directly - the driver reads it from the card and reports it to the
program. And as i said: Its absolutely no Problem to tell the driver to
report a different MAC Adress than the real one. The only way to get the
MAC Adress directly from the card is by direct Hardware Access (Which is
impossible under Windows NT) or by writing a Driver (which is not what
the author wants i believe)

Old November 15th 03, 05:10 AM
Eric Gisin

Ethernet cards have a permanent address that cannot be changed. They also have
a software address that can be set in the registry. Both can be queried by
IOCTL on NT4 and later.

If you find a way to change the permanent NIC address, you can also find a way
to change disk serial numbers.

Old November 15th 03, 06:00 AM
Phrederick

Right click the LAN icon, click the Configure button under the NIC, click
the Advanced tab and then look for "Managed Address" or "Network Address"
and enter a new MAC address.

.... you've just changed the MAC address that the network will see.

Old November 15th 03, 06:26 AM
Eric Gisin

Clueless. That's not the permanent address.

Old November 15th 03, 07:03 PM
Phrederick

No, but it's the one that the network will see, etc.

If you're just using the permanent address to track hardware, then it's a
different story.