What happened?

Old May 5th 04, 12:47 AM
Daniel P

Default What happened?

I was sitting in my chair surfing the net when my computer shutdown(the
monitor stayed on and so did my speakers) , the lights in my room flicked
twice, and my stereo's cd changer moved rotated, all basicly at once. My
lights stayed on but I looked at my comps power light was blinking. I
pressed the power button on my case and my comp didn't turn on. So I checked
the the back of the PSU fliped the switch off waited then flipped the PSU
back to on. I went to then front and pressed the power button and my comp
came back to life. BIOS didn't say anything about an error windows didn't
say anything about your computer just recovered from a serious error. It
booted nomally. I have no I idea of what went wrong this is the first time
this has happened. My PSU is a 2.5 year old Antec. I don't think it was my
power strip because I had my tv on and its plugged into the same power strip
and it didn't blink. WHAT HAPPENED!

PS My stereo was not on.

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe together"

Old May 5th 04, 11:17 AM
Adam S

I have no I idea of what went wrong this is the first time
this has happened. My PSU is a 2.5 year old Antec. I don't think it was my
power strip because I had my tv on and its plugged into the same power

strip
and it didn't blink. WHAT HAPPENED!

You had a brownout.

The power dipped below normal, some electrical equipment is more tolerant
than others about the power going in.

Sometimes Windows will reboot OK after a power cut (or brownout), sometimes
it gets in a stress, its unpredictable.

After a storm our mains voltage went down to 190v (should be 230v), the PC
would work OK, the TV was OK, the video would not come out of stand-by and
sattelite TV had a dark band across the screen. Lights in the house were a
bit dim too. Took 4 days before we were back to full power.

Adam S

Old May 5th 04, 11:27 AM
sooky grumper

Adam S wrote:
I have no I idea of what went wrong this is the first time
this has happened. My PSU is a 2.5 year old Antec. I don't think it was my
power strip because I had my tv on and its plugged into the same power

strip

and it didn't blink. WHAT HAPPENED!

You had a brownout.

The power dipped below normal, some electrical equipment is more tolerant
than others about the power going in.

Sometimes Windows will reboot OK after a power cut (or brownout), sometimes
it gets in a stress, its unpredictable.

After a storm our mains voltage went down to 190v (should be 230v), the PC
would work OK, the TV was OK, the video would not come out of stand-by and
sattelite TV had a dark band across the screen. Lights in the house were a
bit dim too. Took 4 days before we were back to full power.

Adam S

Brownouts often kill HDDs. Get an UPS.

Old May 5th 04, 02:56 PM
Gary Tait

On Tue, 4 May 2004 16:47:23 -0700, "Daniel P" wrote:

[...]

Brownout, get a UPS in case/if this is/will be a regularity for you.

PS My stereo was not on.

"Not on" is a relative term for modern electronics. It was probably
not active.
Old May 5th 04, 10:08 PM
Matt

Adam S wrote:
I have no I idea of what went wrong this is the first time
this has happened. My PSU is a 2.5 year old Antec. I don't think it was my
power strip because I had my tv on and its plugged into the same power

strip

and it didn't blink. WHAT HAPPENED!

You had a brownout.

The power dipped below normal, some electrical equipment is more tolerant
than others about the power going in.

Sometimes Windows will reboot OK after a power cut (or brownout), sometimes
it gets in a stress, its unpredictable.

After a storm our mains voltage went down to 190v (should be 230v), the PC
would work OK, the TV was OK, the video would not come out of stand-by and
sattelite TV had a dark band across the screen. Lights in the house were a
bit dim too. Took 4 days before we were back to full power.

Adam S

Does a brownout explain this part? --

Old May 5th 04, 10:13 PM
sooky grumper

Matt wrote:
Adam S wrote:

[...]

Why the hell would windows report recovering from a software error when
it was a power supply issue?

Old May 5th 04, 11:23 PM
DaveW

Your area had a power surge from the local electrical utility company. You
DO have your computer plugged into a surge protector to prevent frying it,
don't you?

--
DaveW

Old May 6th 04, 12:11 AM
Daniel P

Well i am not sure what would have caused a brown out. The skys were clear.

PS I have had my lights blink and CD changer rotate before but it has never
effected my comp it usually turns off my tv.

Old May 6th 04, 07:03 AM
sooky grumper

Daniel P wrote:
Well i am not sure what would have caused a brown out. The skys were clear.

You're making assumptions about soething that you could learn about with
a quick google search.