Catalyst 9.12 and Star Wars Battlefront II ? HD5770 problems ? Notworth the price ?

Old December 23rd 09, 01:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Peter Dassow

Default Catalyst 9.12 and Star Wars Battlefront II ? HD5770 problems ? Notworth the price ?

It seems to be a big problem, playing Star Wars Battlefront II (patched
to official v1.10) means pain with ATI cards !
I recently changed my graphics card from a nVidia 9800GT to a Sapphire
HD5770 (Vapor-X). That was really disappointing, because I got only a
boost from 12000 to 14000 points at 3DMark 2006, compared to the old
9800GT. But I was really surprised when starting Battlefront II - now
it's slow, and I have a really high CPU load on *all* cores on my Intel
Q6700 (and that's really enough for that game at 1440x900 pixels).

It seems to be related with that piece of **** named Catalyst software,
but I'm not 100% sure. I can be related in general with ATI cards, too.
I read already some news entries that some guys recommended to set the
cpu affinity of the game to only one core, but then I got not 80% load,
I got 100% load and it's definitely not playable anymore.

At the moment I am sure the HD5770 is not worth the price, because also
all other games are not running faster than before.
The card itself is silent and keeps a low temperature.
No, I do not have any issue with my power supply.
I run the same system I have used before with my nVidia 9800GT card, and
it seems that this just points out the maturity of the card or the
drivers for that card.
Also, I have multi monitor issues, I got "flicker" if I change the gpu
clock with ATI overdrive to just 1 MHz above the (fixed) bios gpu clock
speed. I already checked that this is an issue with the power saving in
2D mode. If you manage to set the GPU speed with AMD GPU Clock Tool, it
works without "flicker", but there is no power saving in 2D anymore then.

If anybody has an explanation for this disaster, please let me know.

Peter
Old December 23rd 09, 02:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)

On 23-Dec-09 20:06, Peter Dassow wrote:
It seems to be a big problem, playing Star Wars Battlefront II (patched
to official v1.10) means pain with ATI cards !

Try going back to 9.11 and even 9.10 first. 9.12 is intended for latest
games.

At the moment I am sure the HD5770 is not worth the price, because also
all other games are not running faster than before.
The card itself is silent and keeps a low temperature.

The card is about DirectX 11. Complain after you tried games like Dirt 2.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.2
Old December 23rd 09, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

"Peter Dassow" wrote in message
[...]

Did you uninstall all the Nvidia software before you installed the ATI
stuff? As far as not being worth the price, it all depends on what you paid
for it.

Old December 25th 09, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Peter Dassow

KCB wrote:

Did you uninstall all the Nvidia software before you installed the ATI
stuff? As far as not being worth the price, it all depends on what you paid
for it.

Yes, I uninstalled the nVidia drivers of course before changing the
card. I paid about $210 for it (it's not available at most of the shops,
so that's also the reason for the high price).

Peter
Old December 26th 09, 08:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

Are you complaining, or are you asking for help? :-)

Try reinstalling Battlefront II, and don't re-use any saved config files.
Some games need to rebuild shaders and other settings if you change video
cards.

Overclocking ATi cards is flaky because the card runs at different voltages
in 2D and 3D. Best to just use the AMD GPU Clock Tool and let the card run
at full speed all the time, like in the Radeon X800 days. "Power saving" is
moot when the card draws only 61 W peak in 3D.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...-hd5750_5.html

Old December 26th 09, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
DRS

"Peter Dassow" wrote in message

It seems to be a big problem, playing Star Wars Battlefront II
(patched to official v1.10) means pain with ATI cards !
I recently changed my graphics card from a nVidia 9800GT to a Sapphire
HD5770 (Vapor-X). That was really disappointing, because I got only a
boost from 12000 to 14000 points at 3DMark 2006, compared to the old
9800GT.

3DMark has long been known to be biased towards Nvidia, so those raw scores
mean nothing.