CDRW drive not recognize media?

Old November 30th 03, 04:09 AM
mark

Default CDRW drive not recognize media?

My father-in-law's PC is acting strange and hopefully someone here can give
me some pointers...

His CD burner won't recognize any blank CDs. It reads CDs just fine. Even
burned ones. But it won't recognize blank CDs when I try to burn new ones. I
used Nero 5.5, and then switched to Easy CD Creator 5 with the latest
patches, and it still is no dice.

I didn't install the burner in his PC, so I believe that he did. And I doubt
he bothered with any driver or anything. He claimed it worked fine until a
few weeks ago. But trying to isolate the cause by asking him questions is
like pulling teeth. My understanding was that there was no need for a
manufacturer's driver for a CD burner (it's a no-name whitebox. I'll have to
pull the cover off his PC tomorrow to get the manufacturer of the burner).
The ATAPI driver that windows 98 (his OS) assigned it would be fine right?

I do plan on bringing some of my media over. He had two batches of brand new
Fujitsu 80 minute CDRs (bought separately), so it's possible that the burner
just doesn't like that brand of CD blanks but I doubt it. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Old November 30th 03, 05:05 AM
JAD

It could very well be media that the burner doesn't like.....I have had similar problems over the years with many different types of
burners and media..BENQ being one of the worst. Did nero load the 'image drive' software? Try removing NERO, Easy create, and the
burner from the device manager. reboot wait for the burner to be recognized by XP. then load the software. XP as you know has its
own burnware, I don't know if there is a way a dumping that, but if you can, I would.

Old November 30th 03, 08:36 AM
the gnome

If you install all the software look on th e Nero site for info because the
Adaptec software leaves stuff behind and you can get into all sorts of
problems. The Nero website tells you how to manually get rid of all the
adaptec changes.

I only use one brand of CDR and occassionally a CD will not be recognised by
the drive. I out it sown to duff media and use them as coasters.

the_gnome

hlink.net...

Old November 30th 03, 12:15 PM
News

Hi Mark!

"mark" wrote in message
[...]

Mark,

Every cd-rw burner I ever installed came with a cd disk that contained the
necessary driver required to make the burner work.

This driver has nothing to do with Nero or EZ-CD Creator which are separate
programs.

What OS is used on the PC? XP has a built-in burner program.

Old November 30th 03, 05:56 PM
JAD

Every cd-rw burner I ever installed came with a cd disk that contained the
necessary driver required to make the burner work.

they come with a DOS driver only.....windows already has atpi drivers for all Roms

"News" wrote in message ...
Hi Mark!

Old December 1st 03, 09:52 PM
Gino Zantafio

I've just bought a brand new LG Goldstar CD burner (52x24x52).
It doesn't recognizes the older CD-RWs I was using in my old Yamaha CR4416.
The units aren't compatible with every type of CD to be burnt.

RTFM of the burner or go to the manufacturer site, you'll learn what CD
speed you shall use.
I've also read that old units aren't able to write new media. Unfortunately,
although I'm 90% sure,
I can't confirm since I can't manage to retrieve the source of that
information.

Good luck

"mark" a écrit dans le message news:
[...]

Win XP doesn't like a second hard drive! N9WOS General 9 January 6th 05 01:10 AM
corrupted partition table - help needed! Justin Case General 0 August 3rd 04 09:22 AM
Question about transfer speeds between HDs, and DMA mode ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 25 July 25th 04 09:56 PM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
Mysterious Hard Drive Problem Bill Anderson General 4 January 18th 04 03:43 AM