Direct3D functionality not available (again)

Old April 8th 09, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

Default Direct3D functionality not available (again)

"PhilT" wrote in message
I have an OpenGL extensions viewer (http://www.realtech-vr.com/
glview/) and that shows 'N/A' for the DirectX version info.
3dMark06 crashes on startup with the message
"IDirect3D9::GetDeviceCaps failed: Not available
(D3ERR_NOTAVAILABLE)" ... this makes me think it's DirectX more than
the AGP drivers.
Since DirectX is integral to XP and cannot be uninstalled and re-
installed I cant see a way forward.
Maybe if I put on a really old version of DirectX it might just work !

DirectX can be upgraded in XP. Microsoft updates DX9.0c every couple of
months without rolling the major version number. Latest is March 2009,
however downloading it requires WGA authentication. The next newest one,
without WGA, is Nov 2008:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-9f20f1244a8e

Over the years I've had zero compatibility issues with old hardware and old
games in conjunction the latest DirectX.

Old April 9th 09, 05:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
DRS

"First of One" wrote in message

[...]

Over the years I've had zero compatibility issues with old hardware
and old games in conjunction the latest DirectX.

+1 on that.

I have never had a problem with the DirectX upgrade on any hardware platform
or with any game or application.

Old April 12th 09, 10:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
PhilT

Well, I've searched and searched and the common answer is drivers - I
have the latest VIA Hyperson drivers, the latest ATI drivers etc etc
and guess what ... it still doesn't work. I have wiped all drivers and
started from scratch but still no luck. Having seen many posts where
driver updates DO NOT resolve the problems, I suspect there is still
something else wrong for me and many others.

My last option is to re-install Windows XP (yes it is a genuine copy)
and try again. In an earlier post, I mentioned that a colleague has to
do this regularly to resolve the same problem on his PC - despite
having all the latest drivers installed.
I suspect something in the original install gets screwed up by an
update somewhere and nobody has managed to post a solution anywhere.

Old April 14th 09, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

Haven't dealt with AGP in a long time... Try capping the AGP speed to 4x in
BIOS. My VIA K8T800 board from back in the day never worked correctly at 8x,
despite having the latest GART drivers.

Old April 14th 09, 10:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
PhilT

On 14 Apr, 01:09, "First of One" wrote:
Haven't dealt with AGP in a long time... Try capping the AGP speed to 4x in
BIOS. My VIA K8T800 board from back in the day never worked correctly at 8x,
despite having the latest GART drivers.

Thanks. I just tried that but it hasn't worked.

I have just checked the DirectX settings using PCWizard
(www.cpuid.org).
The hardware settings don't look too healthy ...

Driver Information :
Model : Radeon X1650 Series
Driver : ati2dvag.dll
WHQL Level : Yes
Version : 6.14.10.6925
Revision : 158
Vertex Shader Version : 3.0
Pixel Shader Version : 3.0

Interface :
Refresh : 75 Hz

Memory Information :
Video Memory : 5 MB free on 1 MB
Local Video Memory : 5 MB free on 1 MB
AGP Video Memory : 5 MB free on 1 MB
Texture Memory : 5 MB free on 1 MB

Hardware Information :
Z-Buffer : 0-bit
Hardware Level : Yes
3D : No
GDI : No
BANKSWITCHED : No
NOHARDWARE : Yes
PALETTE : Yes
PALETTEVSYNC : No
READSCANLINE : No
VBI : No
AUTOFLIPOVERLAY : No
CANBOBINTERLEAVED : No
CANBOBNONINTERLEAVED : No

Overlay Information :
ALIGNBOUNDARYDEST : No
ALIGNBOUNDARYSRC : No
ALIGNSIZEDEST : No
ALIGNSIZESRC : No
ALIGNSTRIDE : No
OVERLAY : No
OVERLAYCANTCLIP : No
OVERLAYFOURCC : No
OVERLAYSTRETCH : No
ZOVERLAYS : No

Palette Information :
ALPHA : No

StereoVision Information :
STEREOVIEW : No

BLT Information :
BLT : No
BLTCOLORFILL : No
BLTDEPTHFILL : No
BLTFOURCC : No
BLTQUEUE : No
BLTSTRETCH : No
DMA : No
CANCLIP : No
CANCLIPSTRETCHED : No
COLORKEY : No
COLORKEYHWASSIST : No
ZBLTS : No
CANBOBHARDWARE : No

Video Modes :
DirectDraw Mode 109 : 320x200 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 110 : 320x200 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 111 : 320x200 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 112 : 320x240 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 113 : 320x240 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 114 : 320x240 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 115 : 400x300 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 116 : 400x300 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 117 : 400x300 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 118 : 512x384 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 119 : 512x384 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 120 : 512x384 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 121 : 640x400 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 122 : 640x400 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 123 : 640x400 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 124 : 640x480 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 125 : 640x480 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 126 : 640x480 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 127 : 720x480 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 128 : 720x480 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 129 : 720x480 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 130 : 720x576 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 131 : 720x576 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 132 : 720x576 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 133 : 800x480 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 134 : 800x480 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 135 : 800x480 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 136 : 800x600 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 137 : 800x600 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 138 : 800x600 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 139 : 848x480 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 140 : 848x480 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 141 : 848x480 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 142 : 1024x768 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 143 : 1024x768 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 144 : 1024x768 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 145 : 1152x864 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 146 : 1152x864 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 147 : 1152x864 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 148 : 1280x720 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 149 : 1280x720 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 150 : 1280x720 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 151 : 1280x768 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 152 : 1280x768 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 153 : 1280x768 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 154 : 1280x800 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 155 : 1280x800 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 156 : 1280x800 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 157 : 1280x960 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 158 : 1280x960 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 159 : 1280x960 (32-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 160 : 1280x1024 (8-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 161 : 1280x1024 (16-bit)
DirectDraw Mode 162 : 1280x1024 (32-bit)

Advices :
The symbol indicate : Approximate Information
The symbol indicate : Information may be inaccurate
Old April 15th 09, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

The low video memory readout seems to indicate that AGP is not functioning
correctly. Maybe the GART driver isn't kicking in... VIA offers a set of
"retro" chipset drivers for older KT266 boards like yours:
http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VIA_4in1_443v.zip

You are installing everything in administrator mode, right?

Old April 15th 09, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
PhilT

On 15 Apr, 00:48, "First of One" wrote:
The low video memory readout seems to indicate that AGP is not functioning
correctly. Maybe the GART driver isn't kicking in... VIA offers a set of
"retro" chipset drivers for older KT266 boards like yours:http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VIA_4in1_443v.zip

You are installing everything in administrator mode, right?

Yes, I am an administrator.

Thanks for the link. My board actually has the KT600 chipset which is
not specifically listed against the 4.43 drivers. However, the AOpen
site (http://global.aopen.com/products_detail.aspx?auno=413) does have
version 4.48 (slightly newer) available for my MB.

When I built the PC many years ago, I remember bugs in the 4in1
drivers. AMD blamed VIA, VIA blamed AMD and there were weekly updates
at one point. I probably kept updating them on the PC and it could
have got into a mess.
With the video driver, many file and registry entries can be left over
after an uninstall. The advice for the VIA 4in1 drivers is to
completely remove the old ones. Any tips on how to ensure they are
completely wiped out before I re-install ?

I will try both of these versions old versions and the latest version
when I can be sure I have wiped out the current set.
Old April 15th 09, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tony DiMarzio

"PhilT" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried wiping out / reinstalling Windows? If your problematic
Windows installation really is years old it certainly can only help to start
with a fresh install. The amount of time it would take you to backup files,
wipe/reinstall Windows, and restore backups and programs might even be less
than the time you've spent trying to debug this. I would start with a fresh
install of either XP w/SP3 integrated for Vista w/SP1 integrated (if you
care for Vista at all). Direct3D should be working "out of the box" then
and, if it is, just be conservative with the system and driver level
packages you install which might disrupt the otherwise working
configurations. You might not need the 4-in-1's at all. If your system is
working properly, don't obsess over a few yellow exclamation points in
Device Manager. I know, I've done it before and in retrospect I should have
just left well enough alone.

If you are firmly resolved to fixing this without reinstalling Windows then
.... good luck!

Tony

Old April 17th 09, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
PhilT

Well, my plan was to install XP onto a spare HD and have a dual boot.
Then I came across some notes about NetSupport screwing up
DirectX .... guess what, all the PC's I have seen with the problem
have NetSupport installed.

I have tried this on two works PC's and it works - DxDiag now shows
the enable/disable options for DirectDraw and Direct3D (both with
onboard intel graphics).

I had to change a timeout value from 0 to 7 in the registry and then
reboot.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc779884.aspx

I will try my home PC when I get home tonight. I was unable to try
today as I have remote registry changes disabled

I'm hoping this works - if so, this might be an extra solution to add
to the 'update the drivers' recomendation.