CD RW & DVD players don't recognize nor read CDs or DVDs !!!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 1st 04, 06:39 PM
©¿©¬

Default CD RW & DVD players don't recognize nor read CDs or DVDs !!!

My Compaq Presario came with Win me two years ago. Since I installed "clean"
W2K prof.
Recently I've had numerous problems especially with the two drives, CD RW
and CD/DVD
player (Several weeks apart). The H/W is recognized and configured properly
without any
conflict, but when I insert a CD/DVD the LED blinks few times and nothing
happens. Clicking on the drive letter generates error "Please insert a CD in
the drive .... CANCEL"

I posted this prob before and on the recommendations I cleaned the laser
lenses, which is a good thing to do anyway, but no change. Actually I bought
a new CD RW, install it and even burned one CD with it. Few days later it
does not recognize a CD inside !!! just like the other one.

The fact the new burner is one week old and it worked right after
installation makes it unlikely suspect since the other two drives have the
same symptoms.

Things I've tried with no success:

- Uninstalled devices & rebooted. New H/W found ...
- Re-installed manufacturer's motherboard/chipset drivers
- Re- flashed the BIOS
- The ribbon cable connectvity test OK. Tester on one side and wired two
pins on the other side. Of course, the ultimate test is to replace the
ribbon, but I'm not convinced.
- Boot with Win me Flopy, still can't read CDs.
- PC Doctor demo S/W seems to stop everytime while examining the Registry "
Windows Starting". It gives an erreor message #9, but doesn't say what is
!!!
- Deleted all non essential S/Ws for now including Easy CD Creator that came
with it.

I wouldn't mind re-installing a clean W2K or Win me for that matter, except
the PC can't read any OS CD !!! I Must have at least one CD player working,
but how ?

Any body experienced the same what was the problem / solution ?
Anything else I can try to determine where is the problem in my PC ?
Someone hinted at IDE Controller, how can I verify its functionality ?

TIA