Nvidia in a heap of trouble. Not good for competition!

Old October 9th 09, 09:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

Default Nvidia in a heap of trouble. Not good for competition!

I don't like the sound of this, but it is all over the net today. Nvidia
kills the GTX285, GTX275, GTX260, and abandons the mid and high end market.
"Due to a massive series of engineering failures, nearly all of the
company's product line is financially under water, and mismanagement seems
to be killing the company."

See the article at:
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/...gh-end-market/

I would by far prefer a healthy Nvidia to keep ATI hard at work. If Nvidia
goes away, ATI will loose a major reason for pushing innovation in graphics.
Bad news for us all.

William

Old October 9th 09, 11:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
DRS

"Antonio López de Santa Anna" wrote in
message
On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 13:47:26 -0700, "William"
wrote:

I don't like the sound of this, but it is all over the net today.
Nvidia kills the GTX285, GTX275, GTX260, and abandons the mid and
high end market. "Due to a massive series of engineering failures,
nearly all of the company's product line is financially under water,
and mismanagement seems to be killing the company."

See the article at:
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/...gh-end-market/

I would by far prefer a healthy Nvidia to keep ATI hard at work. If
Nvidia goes away, ATI will loose a major reason for pushing
innovation in graphics. Bad news for us all.

That news was out yesterday and not today and Nvidia have already
responded saying it is not true. They are killing their chipset
development branch for one year though until the outcome of a court
case with Intel is decided.

http://www.driverheaven.net/news/190...ml#post1301104

"These are obviously rather bold claims indeed and I decided to give
Nvidia a call this afternoon to get their feedback on the
aforementioned claims. An Nvidia spokesperson told me "There is no
truth to this. Charlie has become a sponsored site of his sole
advertiser. Look at his website it looks like an AMD ad." Nvidia also
assured me with a chuckle that they are not 'abandoning the mid or
high end markets'."

Of course Nvidia would say that.

Even when Charlie's analysis is taken with a sufficiently large grain of
salt it is clear Nvidia is in deep cow-dung. Will it do a 3dfx? Maybe not.
It has lots of money in the bank right now. But its manufacturing costs are
higher than ATI's which means its retail prices are higher too, meaning ATI
is giving more bang for your buck (what a turn around from 2 years ago,
eh?). Nvidia has also lost a lot of credibility with OEMs. Check out the
video options on the big laptop vendors like Dell, HP and Apple - lots more
ATI, much less Nvidia. That is not your ordinary case of swings and
roundabouts, with ATI taking its turn in front. Nvidia's bad engineering
decisions, the lies upon lies, and the money it's cost the OEMs in the
process is going to hurt it hard for a long time.

Old October 10th 09, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

Keep in mind Charlie is an Inquirer reject turned full-time AMD fanboi.
Seriously, who is going to buy a GTX285 now when a much better-performing HD
5870 exists? The GT300 card is coming in 2-3 months, according to the latest
rumors, so now would be appropriate to issue EOL notices to clear out
existing inventory.

For what it's worth, AMD incurred heavy losses for the last six quarters.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....rterlyearnings
That GlobalFoundaries deal was a last-ditch attempt to stay afloat while
giving the appearance of strategic planning. AMD never did well financially
even during the Athlon64 years when Intel tripped up. After a while you
become desensitized to these things.

Old October 10th 09, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"First of One" wrote in message
Keep in mind Charlie is an Inquirer reject turned full-time AMD fanboi.
Seriously, who is going to buy a GTX285 now when a much better-performing
HD 5870 exists? The GT300 card is coming in 2-3 months, according to the
latest rumors, so now would be appropriate to issue EOL notices to clear
out existing inventory.

For what it's worth, AMD incurred heavy losses for the last six quarters.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....rterlyearnings
That GlobalFoundaries deal was a last-ditch attempt to stay afloat while
giving the appearance of strategic planning. AMD never did well
financially even during the Athlon64 years when Intel tripped up. After a
while you become desensitized to these things.

I'm aware about the bad news coming from both camps. I became aware of this
news from John Dvorak's web site.
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2009/10/0...ard-scrapyard/ .
John is usually pretty careful who he references and I consider his comments
worth paying attention to. I've been following him for over 30 years now.
(His web site is too far Left leaning for me.)

I am surprised no one else bothered to post this information to this news
group. I think its pretty important and one more nail in Nvidia's coffin if
they don't get their act together. And yes, ATI has problems being a child
of AMD. Maybe AMD will sell off ATI to raise money for their use. Wouldn't
that be poetic justice.

It seems some people are more upset that I brought up the subject rather
than discuss the implications of the story. I suppose it depends on what
card is sitting in ones computer at the time. Shoot the messenger and all
that. It seems to happen every time someone posts information positive or
negative about Nvidia -vs- ATI.

William

Old October 10th 09, 05:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"First of One" wrote in message

OFF TOPIC

First:

BTW, I decided to skip upgrading my video card and computer until after the
first of the year. I still want to see what second and third generation
5870's look like, (and prices.) Not only that, I need to go for a new cpu,
mobo, ram, OS, as well as the video card.

So.... I am the proud owner of a new DSLR camera, a Canon EOS 7D. Its got
so many bells and whistles it will take months to figure out how to use them
all. One that I particularly like, it has Pitch and Yaw sensors in it to
assist in leveling the camera for horizontal shots. This blows me away. It
wasn't more than 10 years ago that a gyroscope would be required to do this,
with compressors to spin the thing up.

I think we can thank the Wii game console and the new controller technology
for the advancement in solid state accelerator detectors that allows for
this type of advancement.

William

Old October 10th 09, 08:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

"William" wrote in message
acquisition...

[...]

I think the reaction to your post is more to do with your source than the
actual story. Many people don't consider that site for news, but rather
opinion and rumors. I think most everybody had already heard or read about
Nvidia's problems with intel, so the issue with them not making chipsets
wasn't really a surprise.

Old October 14th 09, 06:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

More rational look in response to Charlie's "news":
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3659

acquisition...

Old October 14th 09, 09:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Thomas Womack

In article ,
First of One wrote:
Keep in mind Charlie is an Inquirer reject turned full-time AMD fanboi.
Seriously, who is going to buy a GTX285 now when a much better-performing HD
5870 exists?

I've just ordered a GTX275 because CUDA seems so much less painful
than ATI's GPGPU solution, but I'm obviously not the intended market;
and it was a 275, and would have been a 5850, because I'm buying by
price-per-ALU.

Though I doubt I'll actually program the 275 any more than I did the
GeForce Ti4400 that I bought thinking it was for the same purpose; at
least the interface by which I won't get round to programming it is
somewhat more convenient.

Tom
Old October 14th 09, 10:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
DRS

"First of One" wrote in message

More rational look in response to Charlie's "news":
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3659

I think the author is underestimating the extent to which Nvidia has ****ed
its partners off. The HPs and Dells of this world severely dislike being
forced to shell out millions to cover somebody else's major - and
foreseeable - ****up. I'm seeing a lot more ATI options on the big laptop
manufacturers' web sites and that's got to hurt Nividia in the long run.

Old October 14th 09, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

I always considered the HPs and Dells to be partially to blame for the
****up. It's what they get for not doing integration testing on their own
notebooks, inexcusable given how marginal the notebook cooling solutions
usually are. Of course, the HPs and Dells may not feel that way.

. au...