Support from asus? (a bit long)

Old January 11th 05, 04:59 AM
Robert Megee

Default Support from asus? (a bit long)

My system has a P4C800 deluxe mb. I'm running XP-pro with an 120gig
hd and a GeForce 5700 128 agp card. I started out with 2 512mb sticks
of DDR-400 (pc3200) Kingston memory. Shortly after I got this system
up and running, I started having problems. Lock-ups, various crashes
and such. Finally it crashed hard.
Well, I started over. This time I couldn't finish the XP install.
Each time at the end of formatting the drive, it would tell me that
the drive was corrupt.
Good enough, I tried a different hd. Same problem. And I was able to
format and install the original hd on a different system. Conclusion,
it wasn't the harddrive.
A search of the internet hinted at a possible memory problem.
Specifically the dual-channel mode. Well, I pulled one of the sticks
and every thing worked properly. I've since tested this with a more
powerful power supply, and I even sent the memory back to Kingston
to have it tested. (oh, was able to test it myself with memtest and
it ran for 48hours with no errors) I even tried a different video
card. (that is the only add-in card in the system.)
The only thing that hasn't been changed is the motherboard.
I contacted Asus and they gave me a couple of bios settings to try
which didn't help.
I asked Asus to send me a new motherboard (I offered to provide a
credit card for them to charge against till I could get the old one
back)
Since then inspite of 4 follow-up email, I've heard nothing. This has
been several weeks.
I've been reading the advice here and have gotten a couple of new
ideas. (disable legacy usb; install one stick, get it's settings, add
the second stick and set them manually)
But I would still like to know how to get some response from Asus.
Anyone know how?

thanks,
Robert Megee

Old January 11th 05, 06:05 AM
Mercury

Happy NY George.

People often come here and have a moan that asus support is not what it
should be and get many responses.

Often also people come up with the analogy that they expect support just as
they would from Ford or many other large companies...

There are failings in these analogies. An issue with a motherboard is like
an issue with the engine in a car. Ordinary consumers are on their own if
they want to build a hot rod and replace the stock engine or add a
supercharger.

Invariably, people such as youself are told that if they come here with an
open mind, detail the problem / history / symptoms and hardware they may
well solve their issue.

That is my advice: Start again with the details, and don't bother asus -
they get spammed hugely. You might have to RMA, but if you work through
things systematically, you are more likely to sail straight through. There
are few motherboard manufacturers that can afford the staff to provide the
level of service you and others want - those that do include the cost for
the service in the product & that is why asus (and others) produce high
quality products at *competitive* prices. You can always pay more next time.

Granted, there are times when some motherboards are a lot more difficult to
stabalise than others, but then that is a really big story.

Old January 11th 05, 10:38 AM
Robert Megee

There are failings in these analogies. An issue with a motherboard is like
an issue with the engine in a car. Ordinary consumers are on their own if
they want to build a hot rod and replace the stock engine or add a
supercharger.

To comment on your analogy, if this were the engine in a car it is
stock. If it had a problem that happened during the warrantee period,
yes I would expect the manufacturer to change out the engine. And
they would.
That is my advice: Start again with the details, and don't bother asus -
they get spammed hugely. You might have to RMA, but if you work through
things systematically, you are more likely to sail straight through. There
are few motherboard manufacturers that can afford the staff to provide the
level of service you and others want - those that do include the cost for
the service in the product & that is why asus (and others) produce high
quality products at *competitive* prices. You can always pay more next time.

I've proven that the problem has to be with the motherboard. Maybe a
setting but Asus has tried to help with that. I'm only asking them to
honor their warrantee. Don't kid yourself. Asus is in business to
make money. They need to be subject to the same quality requirements
for their products as any other company.
Both the possible fixes that I have picked-up from reading this forum
deal with a setting for the motherboard. Asus support has volumes of
data about my system and should have recommended these possibilities
if they are viable. I assume that cutting legacy usb support means
that it won't work for usb 1.0. Well, that eliminates my digital
camera. I'm willing to try this to see if it's a solution but it
shouldn't be necessary. Actually Asus seems to be one of the more
expensive motherboards that I've been exposed to. Various review labs
have recommended it as one of the best is why I've used them. Do you
know of a motherboard that is better even if more expensive? Like the
good scientist that I am, I will continue to examine the possibilities
as to the cause of this problem.

Robert

Robert

Old January 11th 05, 10:52 AM
lakesnow

My main system is a P4C800-E DLX, a second one is P4C800 plain.

I must say that the P4C800-E DLX is more stable than the P4C800 plain.

Since yours has the Delux there, probably it is better than the plain one.

However, except for some weird things like failing to detect some LAN card
in Linux, using the P4C800 plain is still good with Windows 2000 and XP.

If you have problems, please look at the video card, RAM or Power supply
(PSU).
The PSU may give you problems that you never think of and you may think
other
components are the culprit.

Testing with a new and good PSU to see what happens. Or do a fresh install
of XP.
That will tell you a lot about what may happen.

Having an unstable system is not a reason to pour all your blame on Asus.

Good luck

---------

Old January 11th 05, 12:01 PM
Bob Willard

Robert Megee wrote:

[...]

First, the P4C does support USB 1.0; at least my old CF reader works on
my P4C800ED. And, USB 2.0 is defined to be backward compatible. Getting
drivers for specific USB widgets is another story.

Second, in many cases, ASUS is not the vendor from whom you purchased the
board, but merely the manufacturer. If that is your case, you should
pursue warranty issues with the actual seller of the board (e.g., your
local computer store).
--
Cheers, Bob
Old January 11th 05, 11:19 PM
Robert Megee

My cable provider just switched to giganews so this it the first time
I've seen this newsgroup. One thing I try to find out is what is a
groups policy on top vs bottom posting.
I've switched out the PSU, the video cards, the harddrive, and the
memory. (I had the second set tested by kingston to make sure it
should work) The only thing left is the motherboard. I've taken each
of the other items and put them in a different system and they all
worked properly. With only one of the sticks installed, everything
works well.
This was my second motherboard the first one was DOA. Wouldn't
boot. Not even a beep. So I do know that they have an rta policy.
My reference to disabling legacy USB was from a posting that said
this fixed his dual-channel memory problem. It is easy enough to try.
I have been in contact with Asus and even have a trouble report open
with them. But after I tried their suggestion of changes to a couple
of bios sessions, I haven't been able to get them to respond to my
email. I even tried entering a new trouble ticket but no response.
This is just not right. When it comes time to upgrade my 4 other
systems, I'll think twice before I'll use Asus.

Robert

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:52:20 +0900, "lakesnow"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old January 12th 05, 12:34 AM
Mercury

Here is a checklist of things I would run through. Apologies if you have
tried any before, but your issues do sound like ram... It could still be a
power issue (EG connector) or IDE cable or something else... I suggest you
run through these questions, check off each question in turn and let us know
how you get on.

I'd have to say it is odd if both memtest86 and MS memory tester can run for
a long period and not report problems. Note: if you test ram in a given
config, you are testing the ram in that config only EG if you test 1 stick
at a time, it is very different to testing in dual channel mode. If you
change bios settings (anything to do with ram) after a test, the test
results no longer apply.

You say the ram tests ok.
You say the system runs ok with 1 stick.
Have you tried the other ram stick by its self?

If so, or its OK, then:
This suggests to me that it is a mobo / bios == dual ram issue possibly
caused by SPD.

Do you have the ram in the 'right' slots?
Checked the manual for what to put where?
Have you tried different slot combinations?
EG use deliberately wrong config so the system doesn't run dual channel.
Have you Loaded Setup Defaults, upped the ram voltage 0.1v, and checked the
RAM timings?
**Many ram types need voltage upped by 0.1v** Some need more. 0.1v will not
hurt.

Have you tried setting the bios to any kind of 'optimum' setting? If so,
don't do this as it sounds like your ram can't do it when there are 2
sticks, if not, it sounds like the system can't cope with the ram at SPD
settings. So try a lower CAS setting.

If you post back, please detail the type of RAM you have now - make & model
& claimed perf specs.

wrote:

[...]

. ..

Old January 12th 05, 12:43 AM
Mercury

Lower CAS means Higher actually. So if its at 2 at the moment, try 3.
You will get a performance drop, but if you system works... you get a
performance gain

Old January 12th 05, 02:43 AM
Robert Megee

Thanks for the guidlines. It will most likely be this weekend before
I get that chance to try them.
I have tried the mem sticks separately and in all possible
configurations for the two sticks. I ran memtest with the memory in
dual channel. It would boot from the floppy.
I'm really interested in trying the various setting you suggested.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Robert

wrote:

[...]

m...