Worth upgrading to P4P8x?

Old July 15th 03, 03:32 AM
Shiranui Gen-An

Default Worth upgrading to P4P8x?

"Yannis" wrote in message
Hi,

I currently have a pretty strong machine with a P4 2,6 (ocd to 2,9), an

Asus
P4B533V (845G) and 512MB Apacer DDR400.
I am thinking of upgrading to a new m/b and CPU epsecially for the dual
channel memory system and the hyperthreading feature. I mainly run games,
surf the web, use MS office apps and Photoshop. I usually run IE windows
with office apps and photoshop at the same time so HT would be nice if it
really worked (havent tried it yet).
I am thinking of either upgrading only my motherboard to an Asus P4P8x
(865P) or changing my CPU as well to a new one like the 2,4C.
What do you think? Upgrading only the motherboard would offer me anything?
Upgarding both the CPU and the m/b is it worth the effort?

I think you would gain some going with a new mobo but the current CPU. I'm
not sure what speed you're running you RAM at but considering the chipset
I'm going to go with the standard PC2100. Dual channel PC2100 would give
theoretical bandwidth of 4.2GB/s which if I'm not mistaken will match the
bandwidth of 533MHz FSB. I'm currently using a P4PE (845PE chipset) with
2.4B and plan on switching to a 865PE mobo while keeping my current CPU.