My AQXEA Barton 2500+ @ 2.2GHz (NF7-S v2.0)

Old September 18th 03, 12:17 PM
Wayne Youngman

Default My AQXEA Barton 2500+ @ 2.2GHz (NF7-S v2.0)

Hi all,

I just got to the stage where I am 100% satisfied that my system is working
great at stock settings. I have tested the memory timings, and I have
tested my FSB above 200MHz.

Now I am working on overclocking my cpu. When I first switched up to 11 x
200MHz from default 2500+ all I did to test the overclock was run MemTest
x86 from the boot floppy. Of course to really test the CPU overclock I
needed to run tests from WinXP itself, but I was a little anxious about
causing my boot-drive to become garbled from a dodgy CPU overclock (it's
happened to me before).

Anyhow even though it was working fine in MemTest x86 @ default Voltages,
once I got into WinXP (phew it booted fine) and ran Prime96 torture test, it
would fail within a minute. . .pooh!

So it was time to up the Vco

1.65v @ 2.2GHz - Fail Prime95
1.675v @ 2.2GHz - Fail Prime95
1.7v @ 2.2GHz - Fail Prime95
1.725v @ 2.2GHz - Fail Prime95
1.75v @ 2.2GHz - Been running Prime95 for 10 hours so far!

Temps are up up course, hitting 46c Load so far, I had to crank up my
CoolerMaster Aero 7 LITE Fan to 100% to keep the temps down a few degrees.

I will leave prime95 running for a day (or two), then when I am happy it is
Rock-Solid I will tinker with a higher FSB to add to the CPU overclock
(thinking 10.5 x 216MHz-FSB).

Is 1.75v ok to be running this chip at, as I said temps are ok so far. . .I
hope it passes the Prime95 test as I don't really wanna raise Vcore above
1.75 if I can. . .

Wayne ][

P.S I have CPU interface enabled. Is there some options that make a CPU
overclock less stable? (spread-spectrum etc)

Old September 18th 03, 12:28 PM
Morgan

but I was a little anxious about causing my boot-drive to become garbled
from a dodgy CPU overclock (it's happened to me before).

Then use something like Ghost to make an image of you boot drive. If the
worse happens and its not repairable then you just Ghost the image back and
you are up and going again. Very quick and gives you that reassurance.

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 18th 03, 02:39 PM
Jens C. Hansen [Odense]

Wayne Youngman wrote:

P.S I have CPU interface enabled. Is there some options that make a CPU
overclock less stable? (spread-spectrum etc)

Spread spectrum could theoretically cause minor instability, but the
worst is the CPU Disconnect feature.
It lets the cpu run a lot cooler when idle, but will also cause a
semi-large temporary drop in Vcore, when the processor goes directly
from idle to 100 % active - and that could make it hang or even reboot.

Old September 18th 03, 03:00 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Jens C. Hansen [Odense]" wrote
Wayne Youngman wrote:
Spread spectrum could theoretically cause minor instability, but the
worst is the CPU Disconnect feature.
It lets the cpu run a lot cooler when idle, but will also cause a
semi-large temporary drop in Vcore, when the processor goes directly
from idle to 100 % active - and that could make it hang or even reboot.

Hi,

Thanks for reply. That information is useful to know. At this point I have
CPU Disconnect enabled, CPU interface enabled, and all the spread options at
default.

The PC seemed stable at most lower Vcore settings, just that it made Prime95
fail very quickly. Anyway the 1.75v (11x200) setting seems to be running
nicely (so far!), been running torture test for nearly 12 hours flat. I
will let it run for a few days maybe before I am 100% satisfied (fingers
crossed)

Wayne ][

Old September 18th 03, 04:27 PM
Lester Piglet

Hi Wayne, my barton has been running 1.8v 211x11 for a week now with no
probs. It's a tad hot at 50c on watercooling, but the chip is safe to 85c so
wtf.

--
Les Ross
Certified by a

Old September 18th 03, 05:28 PM
Ben Pope

Wayne Youngman wrote:
Is 1.75v ok to be running this chip at, as I said temps are ok so far. .
.I hope it passes the Prime95 test as I don't really wanna raise Vcore
above
1.75 if I can. . .

Volatge doesn't kill chips, temperature does. As long as the core
temperature is 85°C you'll be ok. (leave some tolerance... for sensor
miscalibration and differences throughout the core - 10°C is probably
enough, but if the core is 65°C your cooling is probably off.)

P.S I have CPU interface enabled. Is there some options that make a CPU
overclock less stable? (spread-spectrum etc)

Spread spectrum drifts the clock slightly in order to reduce EMI, but that
introduces another unknown and can lead to unusual crashes - it justs makes
stability testing that little bit harder.)

Ben

Old September 18th 03, 11:10 PM
Jerry McBride

Wayne Youngman wrote:

Hi all,

I just got to the stage where I am 100% satisfied that my system is
working
great at stock settings. I have tested the memory timings, and I have
tested my FSB above 200MHz.

I've got the same chip: AXDA2500DKV4D AQXEA

Anyway, I picked this one up when I bought a second one for my neighbor's OC
project. I put mine into a MSI ultra2 and boy does it rock...

Running at 10 x 200 is a breeze and so far never a temp reading higher than
36c. This is what it should be like... :')

Like you, I'll run this a few days to make sure it's all doing ok,. then
I'll start the serious over clock effort.

Got my xp2500+ from Google Gear in a retail box for $92.00 and free 2nd day
delivery. Much to my surprise, the free HSF is a rather nice affair with a
copper slug in the bottom of it... Thanks AMD.

Anyone need an old xp200+ Palimino? I'll never use it again... :')

************************************************** ****************************
Registered Linux User Number 185956
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ff&group=linux
This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing
html.
5:14pm up 70 days, 3:12, 4 users, load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.05

Old September 19th 03, 01:25 AM
Doug

Can anyone tell me where the CPU disconnect function is on the NF7-S. I
think thats whats causing my instability @ 200mhz.

Doug

Old September 19th 03, 05:37 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Jerry McBride" wrote
Running at 10 x 200 is a breeze and so far never a temp reading higher

than
36c. This is what it should be like... :')

Hi,

36°c load temps @11x200, that's pretty impressive! what Vcore are you
running that overclock at? what is your HSF, case temps?

Wayne ][