Does anyone use their computers under 100% stress in a 90F degrees environment?

Old June 19th 06, 04:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Does anyone use their computers under 100% stress in a 90F degrees environment?

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 07:50:27 -0500, ANTant wrote:

Electrcity used by AC is expensive in this area. Even when AC is on, it
doesn't seem to do well due to its central unit and old age (20-30
years?) Also I don't own this house (parents').

I had a new compressor unit put in for my central air about 6 tears ago.
last year it developed a freon leak. I already had an old 5000 btu window
unit for backup in my computer room. So as a temp fix I went out and got a
12,000btu unit for the front section of the house. After seeing how well
that cooled the front section I started testing electricity use. In short,
for less than it would have cost to replace the compressor unit again I
purchased seperate 5000btu window units for each bedroom. Total cost of
all window units was under $600 and my eclectric bill was cut by more than
30%. And during those 100F+ days when the central air had a hard time
keeping the house cool, the window units will freeze you out if you turn
them on max. Central air sucks for efficiency. I normally only run 2 of
the four window units at a time That uses about half the electrity the
central unit used and still keeps me more comfortable. The 5000btu room
units are easy to put in in minutes without having to make any permanent
changes to the window. The larger one din't require window changes but
it's pretty heavy and I leave it in year round. Another Plus is that if
one window unit fails, you won't suffer from the heat like you will when
the cenral unit fails.:-)

Old June 19th 06, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Wes Newell wrote:
[...]

Are there any portable indoor A/C units that can be moved easily like those light fans? I am
disabled so I can't move stuff around. I can't even move a minitower computer nor open/close
the case (even sliding types!).

BTW, I live in Southern CA. Hot hot now.
--
"You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
/\___/\
( )
Old June 19th 06, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Are there any portable indoor A/C units that can be moved easily like those light fans? I am
disabled so I can't move stuff around. I can't even move a minitower computer nor open/close
the case (even sliding types!).

BTW, I live in Southern CA. Hot hot now.

An air conditioner has to be able to move the heat somewhere, you can't
have one just sitting in a room somewhere without an exhaust hose that
connects to the outside world. If you tried to do that you would have a
space heater not an air conditioner.

Southern California is no place to live without air conditioning. There
are light window air conditioners but if you can't move a minitower then
you won't be able to move one of those easily. Also the very lightest ones
are also noisy. I have several window air conditioners, by far the
quietest is an 8200 BTU Sears Kenmore Plasmaire which. I have a similar
Kenmore that isn't a Plasmaire and it's much louder, the difference in
price is only about $50 so get the Plasmaire and have someone put it in
for you. It's very efficient and if you are only cooling one room it
shouldn't be all that expensive to run.

Old June 20th 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:15:30 -0500, ANTant wrote:

Are there any portable indoor A/C units that can be moved easily like
those light fans? I am disabled so I can't move stuff around. I can't
even move a minitower computer nor open/close the case (even sliding
types!).

Get a friend to put a indow unit in and leave it in. If you can't lift a
tower case, you probably couldn't handle even a small 5000

BTW, I live in Southern CA. Hot hot now.

You just think that's hot. Been there several times. 90F if Spring like
compared to where I live this time of year.